Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

please help electrical/ battery alternator Qusetion

Old 07-26-2004, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help electrical/ battery alternator Qusetion

ok i was driving and my battery light came on. then my all my ligths started getting dim. after that my tach started to go berserk. so i shut off my car and diconected my amps power supply. tried to turn the car back on and nothing. then i get a boost form somebody and the car turns on. but tach is still going crazy and when i turn on the lights the car shuts off. also there is a burning smell coming form the area where the alternator is located. and lots of white stuff(oxidation?) on the positive battery terminal.i checked the belt and its on tight. also i saw a white wire (not the one thats connected to the altanator). dangling by the back near the firewall. anybody have any clues as to wahts causing this. i think its the alternator but is it possible that it could be the battery. and if it is the alternator please tell me how to get the damn bottom bolt off. i broke 2 ratchets trying to get that sucker off. thatnk you
92 civic dx w/jdm d16a vtec. p28ecu
diy
Old 07-26-2004, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: please help electrical/ battery alternator Qusetion (djsire)

alternator most likely

but to check if it is the alternator. get the car started with the battery on then pull the terminal off the batery ,if the car dies its the alternator
Old 07-26-2004, 02:32 PM

Default Re: please help electrical/ battery alternator Qusetion (jdm civic 2000)

ok im going to tape up that wire and check for anymore loose wires. tehn i will try what you said about pulling off the battery terminals
Old 07-26-2004, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check the terminal for that wire.. I dont know if honda makes the safety feature of a fuseable link on that wire..
Old 07-26-2004, 04:04 PM

Default Re: please help electrical/ battery alternator Qusetion (BatuKing)

More than likey its a fried battery. Same thing just happen on my bike and it was the battery. It wasnt sending enough power to the ecu thats why your tach was going crazy.
Old 07-26-2004, 05:41 PM

ITS THE BATTERY!!
Old 07-26-2004, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (lilCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lilCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ITS THE BATTERY!! </TD></TR></TABLE>

I doubt it.. the Battery Light in the cluster doesnt turn on when the battery goes dead.. And if so then the car will run w/o the battery and give no problems.. it just wont start the car.

Double check why the wire came off.. and also see if the light goes away.. if not then change the alternator
Old 07-26-2004, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BatuKing)

ditto

i have a 99 old cutlass and the potergeist thing hes talked about before happen to me...i change the batery and still happened,i tested the alternator,and shur nuff it was bad.....put a ne alternator in and works fine no poltergeist feenoms.
Old 07-27-2004, 05:41 AM

Default Re: (jdm civic 2000)

i just changed my battery and car runs fine for like 10 minutes. (just long enough for me to leave the mechanic, lol) then comes the smoky plastic smell from around the timing belt /aternator area. and now battery light is on. this freegin car is possesed. im going back to have the alternator checked again. i told him from teh beggeining it was the alternator but he insisted it was the battery
Old 07-27-2004, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (djsire)

lol,65% of mechanics are dumb asses...what they do is sell you something you dont need that wont fix the problem so that you come back a 2nd and a 3rd time......good luck
Old 07-27-2004, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hey , people with ur problem go into my job all the time atleast 5 a day (autozone). Go to ANY autozone and have them do a charging system check on ur car man...they will check it all up and tell u what the problem is... GL and its free no charge
Old 07-27-2004, 01:12 PM

Default Re: (sheepeg3)

ok i went and turn my car on and it sitll has the burning plastic smell but now the battery seems to be fine. you think it could be a loose wire.?
Old 07-27-2004, 01:38 PM

If the lights are dimming and the car stops running its NOT the battery. Like was said before the car will keep running once its started even if the battery is dead. IE you jump start a manual car with a dead battery. The car is dying right after you leave the mechanic because the car is draining the battery and the alternator isn't recharging it and thats why it takes like 10 min for the car to die completely.

And just for reference bikes don't have alternators do they? Thats probably why it was the battery. There is nothing else that gives the bike electricity except the battery.
Old 07-28-2004, 08:13 AM

Default Re: (electronb16si)

ok car went completely dead yesterdy. trying to park it and it went dead. ie.. shut off when i was reversing. and wouldnt crank, and cel came on but only when i turned on the headlights. then i get up this morning and the car starts up fine. are new batteries known to charge themselves? this is getting really wierd. do you guys think it could be a bad ground or someething. i still got my dough on the alternator. but the guy checked it and he said its charges the battery?
Old 07-28-2004, 08:58 AM

Default Re: please help electrical/ battery alternator Qusetion (jdm civic 2000)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdm civic 2000 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">alternator most likely

but to check if it is the alternator. get the car started with the battery on then pull the terminal off the batery ,if the car dies its the alternator</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dont ever pull the wire off of the battery! You can seriously damage your ECU or other sensitive electronics in the car!!!!! Just take it to Autozone and have them run a test on it. Lot safer and it will tell you a lot more. When you pull the wire off of the battery you have a brief voltage spike which can damage sensitive components because it has no were else to go and will burn out chips. and dont tell me it wont happen ive done it myself to a fair amount of cars including honda's
Old 07-28-2004, 09:12 AM

Default Re: please help electrical/ battery alternator Qusetion (nocternaldragon)

nocternaldragon (6:06 PM 7/28/2004): Alright id say just take it to autozone then or even sears and spend 9.95 for them to check it. But like i said if you pull the battery wire youll mess up a module somewhere and be in a bigger proplem then b4. a cheap and fast test would be just get a volt reading from the battery once while off and once while running one should be around 11-13 volts and the next should be higher more like 14v. if not somewhere theres a proplem in the charging circuit. Check fuse #1 i belive under the dash its a 15amp fuse. and check the two BIG ones under the hood too ones an 80amp and ones a 50amp. Give that a try b4 taking it anywhere. Good luck
Old 07-28-2004, 09:18 AM

also forgot to mention when driving home yesterday teh was a really shitty nois coming from the alterenator. like when a fan siezes. i dotn know if tht makes sense to you guys. but it was like metal on metal or something. this shi is wierd friggin car starts right up in th morining. after being completely dead at nigth
Old 07-30-2004, 07:00 AM

thanks guys went and got alternator rebuilt. for 70 dollors. the guy said for 25 more he'll make it a 90 amp instead of 65 so i said go for it. grand total with installation came out to 145. i reallly didnt want to pay him for instalation andf removal but i couldnt get that bottum nut out. i broke 2 rachets and bent a wrench trying to get it to loosen. well now the car runs like a champ. i dmolished a late model altima yesterday dude was trying to stunt on me casue i had my girl in the whip. i dusted him by the time i was in second he was like 2 cars behind lol
Old 07-30-2004, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

good to see your up and running again
Old 07-30-2004, 12:20 PM

thanks again !!!!! now seal this 4 ever !!! muhahahahahahaha