Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Please Help B16 hesitation stalling!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2002, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help B16 hesitation stalling!

Hey guys...well I got good news and bad news. I got the engine to turn over after the theft. It ran like a champ the first time I started it then I shut it down to do a compression test and I got 240 on all 4 cylinders.

I then accidently put my plug wires on on the wrong position and couldn't start it. I then fixed the positioning of the wires and the car still wouldn't start. I then checked the comp agian and it was still the same. I then realized the ground on the valve cover wasn't there so I put that on( but it ran just a little bit ago without this on, and it ran great)

Now the car starts and idels well, but when I hit the gas hard it hesitates almost to stall, but then gradually climbs up the revs with some hesitation. Now if I slowlly depress the gas it climbs flawlessly up the revs. does anybody have any suggestions, it ran great this morning and now i have know idea what is wrong with it, And I just ordered a Max-rev downpipe turbo and manifold.

PLEASE HELP!!!

thanks!!!

Chad
Old 06-21-2002, 01:40 PM

Default Re: Please Help B16 hesitation stalling! (DOHCarp)

Check that sound like what my car was doing when the sensor failed
Old 06-21-2002, 01:41 PM

Default Re: Please Help B16 hesitation stalling! (b20a1)

i meant to type in cps sensor
Old 06-21-2002, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Please Help B16 hesitation stalling! (b20a1)

Where is the cps sensor located? thanks!
Old 06-21-2002, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like you have your plug wires in the wrong firing order still, or one of the plug wires isn't plugged in properlly either to the plug, or to the distributor. Double check your connections... This is how my car was acting one day, when i got home to pop the hood, i notice that one of the plug wires came off of the ditributor...
Old 06-21-2002, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Please Help B16 hesitation stalling! (dubnine)

OK I'll check my plugs when I get, back home, but in the meen time, What is the fireing order of the cylinders...is it 1,4,3,2 around the distributor cap? thanks again guys!

Chad
Old 06-22-2002, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

PLease help!!! im still having the problem. every time I step on the gas hard it seems like the engine shuts down then slowlly increeses with bad esitation, but if i depress the gas slow it cliombs flawlessly.

how do I check the cps sensor and where is it located...thanks!
Old 06-22-2002, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

did you double check your connections first? Make sure you have the firing order right.... Sorry, i'm not sure of the firing order, but double check. Cause i am confident that this is your problem....
Old 06-22-2002, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Please Help B16 hesitation stalling! (dubnine)

dubnine, I have double checked them, but I can always be checking them in the wrong order so if someone does have the right order please post. Another reason I don't think it could be the fireing order is cus it idels perfect on all four cylinders and revs great if I hit the gas slow....only when I hit the cgas hard it dies and hesitates.

Could it possible be my coil or ignitor int he distributor......could having the fireing order on in the wrong order cause one of these to go bad?

thanks again!
Old 06-22-2002, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What he meant to say was tps sensor, which is located on the back of the throttle body. If you have not touched the throttle body in anyway, then you are fine. The tps sensor would throw a code (flashing check engine light) if it wasnt positioned right, or went bad. The tps sensors never go bad, but if you hit one hard enough they break.

Anyway to the problem at hand. It could be your timing is off. I would get a timing light and check your timing, stock timing is at 16 degrees advanced. If the car still persists, pull the spark plugs and check those. If the spark plugs have a tiny crack in them the car will behave similar to what you are describing. If that doesnt cure the problem replace the cap in the distributor, runs less than 10.00.

Your problem sounds to me like ignition related, so any fuel stuff (injectors, fuel pump, etc) shouldnt be considered at this point. Try what i said, see what happens. My best guess is the spark plugs.