Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Please Convince me to buy a honda

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Convince me to buy a honda

I've been on honda tech for a couple days now, and was pretty inspired to buy a honda after watching what they are really capable of down at Battle of the Imports at pacific raceways. Right now I just turned 18, and have a 1987 Porsche 944S. It is a depressing car to own because it is always being worked on (I do my own work maintenance on it, timing belt, balance belt, rollers, tensioners, oil pump, water pump, cv joints, wheel bearings, brakes, etc ) and although it is a quick, fun little sports car, i would like something cheaper to build with a big aftermarket.

I love the looks of the eg hatch, and if not that then an ek. I have never really been that into honda's until lately, so I don't know much about the engines, transmissions, lsd, or anything like that, but I assume its a little easier to learn then a porsche

I know that I will want to swap the engine, and have the friends that have done them right, and I have some mechanical skill and experience.

I will start off basic since this is my first post. I have read through the FAQ's, sorry if I am repeating questions.

What drivetrain should I be looking for to run around a 13 second quarter mile for around 7k for the car and drivetrain? Is it possible to run 13's on a $7k budget?
How is the reliability of these engines? I've been looking at "gsr's" which I believe are B18c's? Where should I be looking for drivetrains?

Thanks for all the help!
Any chance any of the Washington guys could give me some help would be awesome!
Old 09-01-2007, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Please Convince me to buy a honda (greenshoes3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by greenshoes3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've been on honda tech for a couple days now, and was pretty inspired to buy a honda after watching what they are really capable of down at Battle of the Imports at pacific raceways. Right now I just turned 18, and have a 1987 Porsche 944S. It is a depressing car to own because it is always being worked on (I do my own work maintenance on it, timing belt, balance belt, rollers, tensioners, oil pump, water pump, cv joints, wheel bearings, brakes, etc ) and although it is a quick, fun little sports car, i would like something cheaper to build with a big aftermarket.
You don't be disappointed with Honda's reliability.

I love the looks of the eg hatch, and if not that then an ek. I have never really been that into honda's until lately, so I don't know much about the engines, transmissions, lsd, or anything like that, but I assume its a little easier to learn then a porsche

I know that I will want to swap the engine, and have the friends that have done them right, and I have some mechanical skill and experience.

I will start off basic since this is my first post. I have read through the FAQ's, sorry if I am repeating questions.

What drivetrain should I be looking for to run around a 13 second quarter mile for around 7k for the car and drivetrain? Is it possible to run 13's on a $7k budget?
How is the reliability of these engines? I've been looking at "gsr's" which I believe are B18c's? Where should I be looking for drivetrains?
You can swap in a b18c1 and boost it to get you into the 13 second quarter mile, easily.. You can make it from the 13s to the 11s depending how much $$ you invest into building the motor and the parts you use for your build. Yes, a 13 second car on a 7k budget is definately doable.

Thanks for all the help!
Any chance any of the Washington guys could give me some help would be awesome!
I live in WA! How far is Lake Tapps from Ferndale, WA / 98248? lol, just looked it's a 2 and 1/2 hour drive from here, nevermind.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 09-01-2007, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by greenshoes3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've been on honda tech for a couple days now, and was pretty inspired to buy a honda after watching what they are really capable of down at Battle of the Imports at pacific raceways. Right now I just turned 18, and have a 1987 Porsche 944S. It is a depressing car to own because it is always being worked on (I do my own work maintenance on it, timing belt, balance belt, rollers, tensioners, oil pump, water pump, cv joints, wheel bearings, brakes, etc ) and although it is a quick, fun little sports car, i would like something cheaper to build with a big aftermarket.

Thanks for all the help!
Any chance any of the Washington guys could give me some help would be awesome! </TD></TR></TABLE>

I live in WA! How far is Lake Tapps from Ferndale, WA / 98248? lol, just looked it's a 2 and 1/2 hour drive from here, nevermind.

***Fixed***

gotcha covered
Old 09-01-2007, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Please Convince me to buy a honda (ke98248)

oh hey, thanks! I guess you can give me some places where I can look for engines in Washington then? Yea, lake tapps is by federal way, kent, auburn, puyallup sorta
Old 09-01-2007, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Please Convince me to buy a honda (nix94delsol)

I put in bold my replies, what do you mean?
Old 09-01-2007, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I can vouch for RS Imports in Bellingham, WA. There are many reputable online shops also, including H Motors. They have a basic startup warranty along with an all sensors working guarantee.
Old 09-01-2007, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay, applying my experience with the site to the bottom part of your post:

GSR, one of the B18C's in Japanese engine codes, is a pretty good base to start from. A 7k build, aiming for 13's is possible, especially with a homemade turbo. The GSR engine, as far as I've heard, doesn't react badly to forced induction, so you've got a good start.

Also another thing you could work with is the infamous LS/VTEC build, which is a B18B with a GSR/B16A head. This is a bit more of a complicated build, as they don't just bolt on and work right away. These can be built for some great power, especially with turbo applications, but the dependability can sometimes be a mere roll of the dice, as far as I've seen. More information about this build is in the FAQ's, and in the Hybrid section.

You can also go with the straight B18B, which is a budget engine, but as far as I've seen, is a great candidate for forced induction. The money you save from getting one of these can be dedicated to a good, proper rebuild, so you can ensure that the engine is up to making some good numbers as well as dependability. It's worth mentioning that the LS stock gearing is "garbage long," so for more efficient acceleration, you should look into getting a GSR, SI, or either Type R transmission.

Now, I've been talking about little 1.8 liter B series engines this whole time, but now would be a good time to look into the H22. Great, torquey engine, which gives good power right out of the box. This is a harder swap than the B series because it requires a little fabbing, however. Reacts well to modest turbo applications, but it is worth mentioning that these engines have FRM sleeves, which can be a little uncooperative when it comes to forged pistons, etc. I'm sure there's a way around this, so look into this engine for it's displacement if your interest is drag.

There's also the new H2B setup (H22 with a B series transmission), which is a little complicated, but worth the effort as far as I've heard.

I hope I've helped. These suggestions ought to inspire you to find PLENTY of good reading material. I personally have an EH2 (AKA: EG), and love it. It's light, quick, and a great platform to start from. Good luck with your build, hope to see what you can apply to your future Honda from your experience with your Porsche.
Old 09-01-2007, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good gas mileage and lots of aftermarket support. other than that, my hondas have been just as much of a hassle as any other car ive owned.
Old 09-01-2007, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Please Convince me to buy a honda (hatchnideas)

thanks for all the quick, sharp replies guys! I'm probably going to be looking for a b18c and plan on a turbo being it's best friend. What price should I expect for a reliable b18c?
Old 09-01-2007, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Please Convince me to buy a honda (BlackoutVTi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlackoutVTi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Okay, applying my experience with the site to the bottom part of your post:

GSR, one of the B18C's in Japanese engine codes, is a pretty good base to start from. A 7k build, aiming for 13's is possible, especially with a homemade turbo. The GSR engine, as far as I've heard, doesn't react badly to forced induction, so you've got a good start.

Also another thing you could work with is the infamous LS/VTEC build, which is a B18B with a GSR/B16A head. This is a bit more of a complicated build, as they don't just bolt on and work right away. These can be built for some great power, especially with turbo applications, but the dependability can sometimes be a mere roll of the dice, as far as I've seen. More information about this build is in the FAQ's, and in the Hybrid section.

You can also go with the straight B18B, which is a budget engine, but as far as I've seen, is a great candidate for forced induction. The money you save from getting one of these can be dedicated to a good, proper rebuild, so you can ensure that the engine is up to making some good numbers as well as dependability. It's worth mentioning that the LS stock gearing is "garbage long," so for more efficient acceleration, you should look into getting a GSR, SI, or either Type R transmission.

Now, I've been talking about little 1.8 liter B series engines this whole time, but now would be a good time to look into the H22. Great, torquey engine, which gives good power right out of the box. This is a harder swap than the B series because it requires a little fabbing, however. Reacts well to modest turbo applications, but it is worth mentioning that these engines have FRM sleeves, which can be a little uncooperative when it comes to forged pistons, etc. I'm sure there's a way around this, so look into this engine for it's displacement if your interest is drag.

There's also the new H2B setup (H22 with a B series transmission), which is a little complicated, but worth the effort as far as I've heard.

I hope I've helped. These suggestions ought to inspire you to find PLENTY of good reading material. I personally have an EH2 (AKA: EG), and love it. It's light, quick, and a great platform to start from. Good luck with your build, hope to see what you can apply to your future Honda from your experience with your Porsche.</TD></TR></TABLE>

another option could be a crvtec, otherwise known as b20 vtec hybrid.....also more info on this in the hybrid section.
anyhow its a b20 block from the crv mated to a b16 or gsr head and also b16 or gsr tranny, great for boost aplication from what I have heard, and relatively inexpensive
my .2 cents to add
Old 09-01-2007, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Please Convince me to buy a honda (tenedor sports)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tenedor sports &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

another option could be a crvtec, otherwise known as b20 vtec hybrid.....also more info on this in the hybrid section.
anyhow its a b20 block from the crv mated to a b16 or gsr head and also b16 or gsr tranny, great for boost aplication from what I have heard, and relatively inexpensive
my .2 cents to add</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah but there SO damn TALL
Old 09-01-2007, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Please Convince me to buy a honda (tenedor sports)

b18 &gt; b20.. More HP/TQ, more reliable
Old 09-01-2007, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so what price will I be looking to spend on a clean b18c? Thanks!
Old 09-01-2007, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by greenshoes3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What price should I expect for a reliable b18c?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Whatever price these guys quote you:

hmotorsonline.com

They are the best distributor of Honda engines for anyone on this site. Most anybody will tell you that.

IMPORTANT:

It is imperitive that you pay attention while you're looking for a GSR engine. The engine code for the USDM GSR is B18C1, but the JDM one is called the B18C. However, the B18C5 (Type R) is built for higher compression, and is not so super good to turbo. It's JDM designation is ALSO B18C. OEM, it's telltale feature is it's red valve cover. Just reminding you not to buy a certain B18C just because it's more expensive and has higher stock horsepower. Stay away from it if you plan to turbo.
Old 09-01-2007, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

blackoutvti:

Thanks for the great advice! Thats the type of small detail that I would really like to learn from these forums!
Old 09-01-2007, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I aim to help with what I can for someone who hasn't yet stepped into the Honda scene. Good luck dude.
Old 09-01-2007, 05:48 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ke98248 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">b18 &gt; b20.. More HP/TQ, more reliable</TD></TR></TABLE>

(Might help the OP too.)
Old 09-01-2007, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Please Convince me to buy a honda (NOFX)

Old 09-01-2007, 07:16 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlackoutVTi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Whatever price these guys quote you:

hmotorsonline.com
</TD></TR></TABLE>

X 11,000,000,000

you get what you pay for with swaps, trust me. HMO is the best hands down.

b18c into any clean (meaning not previously modified and in good shape) hatchback should get you going pretty well and cost under 10k total for a completely dialed car.

Old 09-01-2007, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 09-01-2007, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Go to Intec racing in Kent. The red EG that took first and the teal EG that took second at battle were both Intec cars. The guy that took second in the teal hatch is chris he is the head tech down at Intec. That car made 270 whp and 182 ft/lbs or torque. Thats all motor. They know what they are doing.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you're patient you can find a swap for a really good price. i found a mild all motor GSR swap (CTR pistons, mildly ported head, skunk2 valvetrain, CTR cams, and some other goodies...)that only had around 1k miles on it for a little over $2k, came with reciepts, and was built at a reputable shop. It made 204whp

In my EK hatch it should be in the 13's on dr's.