Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Pistons in a Civic

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2002, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pistons and turbo in a Civic DX

What are the best pistons to put into a civic DX.....? Im turbocharging, and I have a set in mind that will boost up to i think 20 psi....but i want to know the best pistons to get if i want about 15-18 psi, and what should the compression be lowered to....? thanks

[Modified by hybrid_racer, 8:03 PM 1/10/2002]
Old 01-10-2002, 11:04 AM

Default Re: Pistons in a Civic (hybrid_racer)

what motor are you planning on using as your base? I would hope a LS........man 20psi=short life span.............
Old 01-10-2002, 11:18 AM

Default Re: Pistons in a Civic (ImprtTuner88)

Im keeping my stock non v-tec SOHC, im just upgrading all the necissary....trying to avoid short life span....i know it can work, and its rumored, which i've been helping to spread, non v-tec motors are better then v-tec motors when it comes to turbo....
Old 01-10-2002, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Pistons and turbo in a Civic DX (hybrid_racer)

JE or ARIAS, but no piston will protect you from what you are going to do. I do admit some people have done it, how... I am not sure. But from what you are saying I doubt you can too. You have gone from boosting 15lbs to 20lbs in less then 3 posts. Whats next? 25 - 2 BAR? Does you boost gauge handle the incredible amount of boost that you are going to hit? I have only seen gauges go to about 30 lbs.
Old 01-10-2002, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Pistons in a Civic (hybrid_racer)

thats paritally true...the enging that they are probably talking about is the B18B, that motor does NOT have VETC, but takes turbos very nicely! D16 + Turbo = Blown Motor
Old 01-10-2002, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Pistons in a Civic (fifthgearonline)

D16 + Turbo doesn't = blown motor if done correctly. All non factory motors not meant for turbo will eventually blow something. That is part of the excitement. I have seen turbo DX's & Si's go for years. Remember turbos don't kill motors, drivers greedy boost kills motors. Anything can take it with moderation.
Old 01-10-2002, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Pistons in a Civic (ek_mr5)

In Hybrid Racers case..its not moderation...
Old 01-10-2002, 04:07 PM

Default Re: Pistons in a Civic (Sohc Driver)

i'm aiming for 30lbs..
Old 01-10-2002, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Pistons in a Civic (f0de)

damn 20 psi is enough stress for any motor. I was planning on turboing a Dx too but I thought more about 8 psi. can that be done safely????
Old 01-10-2002, 04:47 PM
New User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Pistons in a Civic (Boost Pressure)

Yeah, a DX can take 8 psi provided you take the necessary precautions...

Old 01-10-2002, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Pistons in a Civic (spyder)

First of all Im glad your trying to go a diffrent route. But to say that non-vtec motors are better for turboing than vtec motors is kinda riduculous. I mean if you want to belive that then go ahead, but ask your self, Why arent Steph,Ed B.,Kubo, Tran, Callos, Lookofsky, C.Rado and all the other top performers not runnig Non-vtec motors???............just a thought.
Old 01-10-2002, 05:22 PM

Default Re: Pistons and turbo in a Civic DX (ek_mr5)

its not in the car yet...im starting at 15, then moving to 18. I know its high, my friend has an 18G in his 96 GSX, and 20 is high for him.
Old 01-10-2002, 05:25 PM

Default Re: Pistons in a Civic (ek_mr5)

i agree with el_mr5, im i only want 15-18 to be my high setting, for less then a 1/4 miles, just off the line, to show someone up, on average im only going to push about 8-10 psi..maybe 12, that should be ok right....im crazy....not insane.... :and yes, 8 psi can be done safely on stock pistons....10 at max, thats still pushing it, im not sure why they arent running non v-tec motors, im sure because the top end power output of v-tec is over-all better, but i've heard that they conflict a little. Im just saying, if yo uwere to take an EX and DX with the same mods, and run them, supposedly the DX would win, but im not sure, maybe off the line, and down a bit, but maybe v-tec kicks in and blows the competition away. Like i said, i just heard its not good on the motor, something like that, basically maybe you could say its safer...Its just something that i heard and wanted to hear what other people thought too

[Modified by hybrid_racer, 2:27 AM 1/11/2002]

[Modified by hybrid_racer, 2:30 AM 1/11/2002]
Old 01-10-2002, 05:26 PM

Default Re: Pistons in a Civic (Sohc Driver)

i resent that...i can be moderate, ive just been spitting out stupid questions and ideas....im not as retarded as i actually sound...im passing my automotive class with flying colors....
Old 01-10-2002, 05:29 PM
New User

its not in the car yet...im starting at 15, then moving to 18. I know its high, my friend has an 18G in his 96 GSX, and 20 is high for him.
Your friend running 20 in his GSX has absolutely nothing to do with you thinking you can frun 18 on a DX engine. The GSX is turbocharged from the FACTORY, the block was designed and engineered for boost.

With his GSX, he is taking a car already designed for turbocharging and just increasing the boost.

With your DX, you will be taking a bottom of the line NATURALLY ASPIRATED Honda engine, adding the strain of a turbo which it was NOT designed for, and then topping it off by running boost up to levels too high for even moderately built B-series engines. Not a good combination...

Old 01-10-2002, 05:33 PM

Default Re: Pistons and turbo in a Civic DX (spyder)

oh i know, im not comparing our cars, his is far better, im just saying, what i want to boost, is what he can boost, but is still stressful on his car....the whole meaning of this thread was to find out the best things i can do to accomodate my engine to give it a longer life span and make it more comfortable with the turbo....Its like giving steroids to a baby i guess. i just want to do whatever i have to to make sure it doesnt conk out on me...know what im saying....
Old 01-10-2002, 05:35 PM
New User

yeah....to keep it from conking out on you..........use a different engine, the DX just won't cut it.

Old 01-10-2002, 05:47 PM

Default Re: Pistons and turbo in a Civic DX (spyder)

i suppose a head swap wouldnt work, if i do swap motors, what do you recommed, and what exatly am i looking at doing, money wise, time wise, and parts wise....although, it would be nice to have a DX motor that can kick some pretty good ***....
Old 01-10-2002, 06:06 PM

is it possible to swap heads from SOHC to DOHC, that would be the best hybrid if i ever knew one....i think it is...any comments....
Old 01-10-2002, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is it possible to swap heads from SOHC to DOHC, that would be the best hybrid if i ever knew one....i think it is...any comments....

And your passing your automotive class with flying colors??????????
you guys must not be at the part where the actually show them to you yet. At least take a look at what your talking bout. But as far a swapping in another one for cheap and yes its good for turbo an LS(b18B) or my favriote the B20 just a suggestion thogh USE THE SEARCH BUTTON!!
Old 01-10-2002, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can't change heads from a sohc to a dohc

Last edited by Sohc Driver; 06-22-2011 at 05:59 PM.
Old 01-11-2002, 12:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Pistons and turbo in a Civic DX (Sohc Driver)

buy a b series and build it up.with all the money you'll be spending to fix that dx you could have a nice b series running lower boost and the same power that you would get running at 20psi in the dx .good luck with whatever you do
Old 01-11-2002, 01:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Im really with SOHC Driver on this one. You apper to be continually talking out of your *** and probbabally wasting some of the people on this board's time. Now I dont clame to know it all, or even half as much as a lot of people on this board, but I know when I dont know what Im talking about, and if I am uncertain about a certain thing, I will make it clear that I am uncertain, and ask for someone to back me up or straighten me out on the subject. I respect your quest to learn about cars, but please get your information from more then one source, and make sure its fact before you start talking about it as if it is fact. It will save you embarrasment and humiliation.

Regarding your comments about 20lbs of boost on your stock engine, as everyone has said in this thread, it is pretty much impossible (although it HAS been done). I believe Nathan's Boosted Civic is boosting around that much on his engine. But that requires extensive knowlege, and lots of tuning. Your seemingly trying to scrimp by not doing a engine swap will cost you down the road if you continue thinking the way you are. Your best bet (again as someone in this thread has already stated) will be to do a swap... a LS motor is a great motor for turbo applications, and thats a proven fact. If you look at the "bolt on" turbo kits available (e.g. Greddy) that are basically made to bolt on to the stock motor, you will notice that these kits (Greddy) can only reliably boost 8lbs or so. And for good reason... the motor was not built to withstand the extreme stree generated by turbocharging.

Dammit I've had enough...No you cannot swap heads!!! Hence!!! SINGLE CAM....DUAL CAM!!! how the hell can you swap heads!!!!!!!!!GAWD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Hybrid_ra cer..i've been trying to be nice...but dammit..some of the stuff you say......most of it is just unimaginable and not logical....Argghh!!!...i would like to talk to you though and help you out...and i know that people have to start somewhere....no one gets their knowledge overnight...but atleast think about what you say first or have knowledge about what you are talking about before you say anything...now i know i just prolly made some people unhappy....but dammit....sorry man....I just had to tell you....

Khoi

P.S...My AIM screen name is SOHCVTEC15 if you want to talk to me

[Modified by TheFLY, 4:10 AM 1/11/2002]
Old 01-11-2002, 02:40 AM

at least your not being an *******, help me out as much as you can, why do you think i set up these threads....
Old 01-11-2002, 03:33 AM
D Tranny Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

forget the pistons, the rods will fail.........

Better be ready to spend $1200 on rods and pistons for 1.5L, then likely the crank will fail at about the 200-220 hp mark.

Quick Reply: Pistons in a Civic