Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Piston Rinng Sealing Question.

Old 06-02-2003, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Piston Rinng Sealing Question.

Ok i just rebuilt my gsr motor with the only real performance thing was CTR STD bore pistons. The block was lightly honed. I have 150 miles on it and i noticed blueish smoke coming out my exhaust when at 50%-75% throttle. Is this just maybe the rings have no sealed yet or will they not seal at all? I heard that rebuilt motors sometimes smoke for a few hundered miles. Is this true Please Help. I think ill get it to a few thousand and end up just getting CTR OS pistons and getting my block overbored. I should have done it in the first place. Damn im dumb AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Old 06-02-2003, 01:28 PM

Default Re: Piston Rinng Sealing Question. (slowdx)

i wanna cry seriously.
Old 06-02-2003, 02:56 PM
Banned

Old 06-02-2003, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

when i put new bearings and rings in my d15b8 there was smoke for about a day or so and it wasnt too bad at all. Maybe they werent the right size rings? When I got mine, they were the wrong size, they had a couple different sizes listed for a standard bore d15b8. Had to actually go up there and measure the thickness of them.
Old 06-02-2003, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What method did you use to break in the motor?
Old 06-02-2003, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Piston Rinng Sealing Question. (rodrez)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rodrez &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What method did you use to break in the motor? </TD></TR></TABLE>WELL...............Well I built motor the day before going to NY. So I broke my motor in by going to NY, changing oil, and coming back the next day. 1000miles at a semi-steady rpm.
Old 06-02-2003, 04:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How many miles did the block have on it before being honed.

Also, what was the piston ring end gap after you put the new rings in the honed block? You did measure that before final assembly didn't you?
Old 06-02-2003, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Piston Rinng Sealing Question. (EF9_SiR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EF9_SiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">WELL...............Well I built motor the day before going to NY. So I broke my motor in by going to NY, changing oil, and coming back the next day. 1000miles at a semi-steady rpm. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, everyone has their own opinion on engine break in. For me, and what I was taught by my friend who helped put a few motors together for me, he said never let the needle stay at a steady rpm. Keep it moving from 1000 - 5000 rpm for the first couple of hundred miles even at a stoplight, give it a little rev here and there. It's worked for me, as I have about 500 miles on a reringed block, and no smoke. Even on the freeway, I would get on it up to 5k, then let the engine slow itself down (in gear) to about 3k, then get back on it.
Old 06-02-2003, 05:00 PM
Banned

I plan on going first 100 miles not above4-5k, then change oil, then go 500 miles, change oil, 1000miles, change oil, then im going to redline like a bat out of hell.
Sure thats like 12qts of oil in 1600miles but id rather do that then spend money on new rings cuz i didnt break it in good.
Old 06-02-2003, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's one guys opinion on break in: http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
Old 06-02-2003, 05:31 PM
Banned

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rodrez &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Here's one guys opinion on break in: http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm </TD></TR></TABLE>

um how bout..........NO. What is he talking about "run it hard" to break it in. Thats retarded. That is why my gsr block smokes so much b/c the guy who rebuilt it was racing it first day it was rebuilt so the rings are bad b/c of running it hard w/out breaking it in.
Old 06-02-2003, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Piston Rinng Sealing Question. (blykins)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blykins &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

um how bout..........NO. What is he talking about "run it hard" to break it in. Thats retarded. That is why my gsr block smokes so much b/c the guy who rebuilt it was racing it first day it was rebuilt so the rings are bad b/c of running it hard w/out breaking it in.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Um how bout..........."it's one guys opinion." Which is why I shared the link, didn't say that I agreed with it, as I posted my personal break in experience earlier. This was a topic of discussion in the TypeR forum recently, and I'm relaying info shared there.
Old 06-02-2003, 05:45 PM
Banned

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rodrez &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Um how bout..........."it's one guys opinion." Which is why I shared the link, didn't say that I agreed with it, as I posted my personal break in experience earlier. This was a topic of discussion in the TypeR forum recently, and I'm relaying info shared there. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I wasnt bashing u, i was bashing the site.
Old 06-02-2003, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Piston Rinng Sealing Question. (blykins)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blykins &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I wasnt bashing u, i was bashing the site.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm not at all bashing you either Blykins, just sharing info. Alot of people use his break in method, and it works for them, but obviously not everyone, looking at your experience. I personally would never do that, as I have had some success with what my motor guy suggested.