Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

pinging problem with my built motor

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2002, 04:03 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pinging problem with my built motor

i put together a lsvtec with ctr pstons..... while drilling the head, the machine shop fucked up so it had to be reweld and surfaced.... im guessing this added to my very high compression. i ran 94 octane and it still pinged so we retarded the timming meanwhile i brake the motor in.... what do i do... any suggestions would help
Old 11-03-2002, 06:16 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: pinging problem with my built motor (fukaintmuven)

how far did you have to retard the timing? What engine management are you using? What fuel setup are you using?
Old 11-06-2002, 05:44 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: pinging problem with my built motor (Emerica)

i retarded the timming all the way back.............. i have an aem fuel rail and regulator..... 310cc injectors
Old 11-06-2002, 05:57 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

wow. i guess i gotta post a riced out civic and ask where the muffler bearing goes jus to get sum help......... i neva post jus read but it seems like theres no luv here..
GUESS ILL JUS BUY A FORD PROBE and trade in my car
Old 11-06-2002, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow. i guess i gotta post a riced out civic and ask where the muffler bearing goes jus to get sum help......... i neva post jus read but it seems like theres no luv here..
Go ahead the door is way !

Be a jackass when asking for help and you will get a jackass response.
Old 11-06-2002, 06:08 PM
Solbros Owns Me

i retarded the timming all the way back.............. i have an aem fuel rail and regulator..... 310cc injectors
And how far back is that, as in how many degreed BTDC does your engine fire? Sounds like you're detonating. How much did they mill your head? Did they round off the edge of the combustion chanbers after milling> What do your plugs look like, is there any pitting, etc?

[Modified by Emerica, 7:11 PM 11/6/2002]
Old 11-06-2002, 06:09 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Default Re: pinging problem with my built motor (POLLO)

Go **** in someone else's Cheerios Pollo. Nobody's helping this guy out and his post has been here for at least 24 hours. If nobody can help with this, and all they care about is seeing pics and talking about "0wning", then that's messed up..
Old 11-06-2002, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: pinging problem with my built motor (Emerica)

Go **** in someone else's Cheerios Pollo. Nobody's helping this guy out and his post has been here for at least 24 hours. If nobody can help with this, and all they care about is seeing pics and talking about "0wning", then that's messed up..
Well, I would help him out if he's more specific on what he has done to the motor instead of complainting..but lets look at it for what he already told us.........

He says he as an LS/VTEc with CTR pistons.

A stock B16a head with an LS block and CTR pistons using the stock head gasket will yield about 12:3 cr

If using a b18c1 head with LS block and CTR pistons still using a stock head gasket
will yield about 12:6.

Those cr ratio numbers are with a stock head gasket. Now he mentioned he had to shave the head.. But my how much ? Do you see where im going here ? He can try to take reduce as much timing as possible and will still ping with a 12:3 cr on 93 octane gas...... but that's okay..i'll go and **** on someone elses cheerios..

Thanks

[Modified by POLLO, 10:29 PM 11/6/2002]
Old 11-06-2002, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

seems like your c/r is really high. i'd suggest trying to use some octane booster or some race gas like 100 octane. if that solves your problems more than likely your motor setup is too high compression for pump gas.
Old 11-06-2002, 07:07 PM

Default Re: pinging problem with my built motor (djhatch)

need more info, what head did you use? When you say, all the way back what do you mean, how many degrees? what kinda headgasket. All this and we can help assess your problem better. later
Old 11-06-2002, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

um
how much did the machine shop "**** up"
ask them how much they milled off the head.
cause if your running 13:1 compression you are gonna have to run race gas.
Old 11-06-2002, 07:46 PM

I had the same problem on my built block with ctr 0.25 overbore pistons. when we put the motor together it made a knocking and pinging sound. now, i hear i got lucky cuz all we had to do was pop vtec and it stoped. but i hear that there is a valve under the v-tec lobe it has to be replaced. i don't know if you builted the top head, but it should be built. since my compression is so ******* high that my timing on my distrubitor is retared. i hear many story what can cause it, but all i know that i got lucky.
Old 11-06-2002, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: pinging problem with my built motor (AutomaticB16)

valve under the vtec lobe?
do WHAT?
Old 11-06-2002, 07:51 PM

Default Re: pinging problem with my built motor (KAMiN)

when my car was fucing up. some guy told me that there is a spring in the lost motion. where the some ******* i don't know will go bad sometime. i also had someone told that he keep adjusting the valves like 5 times then it stop. tell you the truth, i don't know what causes this but its fucked up. i havne't try racing gas yet but i heard its expensive.
Old 11-06-2002, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had the same problem on my built block with ctr 0.25 overbore pistons. when we put the motor together it made a knocking and pinging sound. now, i hear i got lucky cuz all we had to do was pop vtec and it stoped. but i hear that there is a valve under the v-tec lobe it has to be replaced. i don't know if you builted the top head, but it should be built. since my compression is so ******* high that my timing on my distrubitor is retared. i hear many story what can cause it, but all i know that i got lucky.
I couldnt find that picture of the guy catching lighting in a bottle.....

Old 11-06-2002, 11:18 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Well, I would help him out if he's more specific on what he has done to the motor instead of complainting..but lets look at it for what he already told us.........

He says he as an LS/VTEc with CTR pistons.

A stock B16a head with an LS block and CTR pistons using the stock head gasket will yield about 12:3 cr

If using a b18c1 head with LS block and CTR pistons still using a stock head gasket
will yield about 12:6.

Those cr ratio numbers are with a stock head gasket. Now he mentioned he had to shave the head.. But my how much ? Do you see where im going here ? He can try to take reduce as much timing as possible and will still ping with a 12:3 cr on 93 octane gas...... but that's okay..i'll go and **** on someone elses cheerios..

Thanks

[Modified by POLLO, 10:29 PM 11/6/2002]
It's all good, you know more than me it sounds like and the guy needs help, that's all. to you
Old 11-07-2002, 12:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i think the knockin and pinging sound there talkin about is totally different. it has nothing to do with your valvetrain.

and 12:1 compression is the highest u can go on a street motor that runs on pump gas.
Old 11-08-2002, 08:13 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: pinging problem with my built motor (djhatch)

WELL i i asked for was help..... no need for the ******** but thanks... i have a b16 head on an L/S with CTRs.. the head wuz milled 5 over.... i pushed the distributor all the way bak.... my plugs are brown. its running good now with 94 and 2 octane boosters....... it pulls really hard. im past the breakin period......
Old 11-08-2002, 08:17 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

oo and and about my last comment...... ID never trade my car in for a domestic....... no matter how shitty its runnin. but it was more to catch the attention of the h-t audience which werkd out very well... IIGht
Old 11-08-2002, 08:17 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the head wuz milled 5 over
eh? never heard of anything being "milled over". whatever...it's not important. my friend is running 12.5:1 CR pistons in his b18c on 93 octane with an MSD SCI and some Moroso plug wires and he hasn't seen ping number one. maybe you engine was just getting used to itself. glad you solved your problem.
Old 11-08-2002, 08:24 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: pinging problem with my built motor (Archidictus)

well sir, sorry for my ignorance. i apologize that we or i am not like u, smart and classy, but it the problem may very well exist as soon as i advance the timmin bak to normal...... i jus hate that noise... but its pulling very hard from what i have experienced w/ it so far
Old 11-08-2002, 08:30 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

im using a stock head gasket... my head is built... manley valves, double valve springs and retainers..... ummm stilll debating on port flow