Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Pinch in the return fuel line? - No noobs.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 08:25 PM
Louie_EM1

Default Pinch in the return fuel line? - No noobs.

My FPR does not function and the pressure stays extremely high (49-51psi at idle).
<U><FONT SIZE="2">Rule out any possible mechanical defects. I have used too many different guages, rails, injectors, different hoses, stock regulator, FPR; I don't wan't to hear it.</FONT></U>

Obviously, we're guessing it's the return line right, if it were in the feed the pressure would still regulate, correct?

Or can it be the feed line malfunctioning and then when the return line is coming back to the tank it's suddenly slow due to the bad feed line and not causing the FPR to regulate due to it being backed up? But this can't be right? I mean there's still oxygen over the gasoline in the tank for the return line to relieve pressure and the feed line to pick up unpressured gas, correct?

We are thinking putting a small little hole in the stock regulator to relieve pressure but how is this going to help much if there's like a kink or pinch in the line?

Someone told me it could be my gasoline vent that's clogged causing the fuel inside the tank to be pressured due to the lack of oxygen over the gas for it to vent. We all know about the gasoline overflow 'top off' vent. I somewhat doubt this but where is this vent, and how the hell could it be clogged?

Much needed and useful information please.
Old 05-17-2004, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Pinch in the return fuel line? - No noobs. (Louie_EM1)

It would have to be the return line.
What fuel pump do you have?
Old 05-17-2004, 08:31 PM
Louie_EM1

Default Re: Pinch in the return fuel line? - No noobs. (b16ahybrid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b16ahybrid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It would have to be the return line.
What fuel pump do you have?</TD></TR></TABLE>
255hi-flow but it was the same with the stock pump.
Old 05-17-2004, 08:42 PM

I have seen a partially clogged return line before but it was on a abused old civic.

I dont think you tank being pressurized would cause that much of a spike in the fuel pressure but if you are not sure try pushing open the fill flap while you have you car to the on position but not starting it (just so the fuel pump runs)

Like you said the only logical reason for this to happen is cause of the return line or a fitting in the return somewhere.

Also try to pull the vacuum line off of your regulator to see if the fuel pressure still goes up like it should. That might help narrow things down.
Old 05-17-2004, 08:43 PM

Default Re: Pinch in the return fuel line? - No noobs. (Louie_EM1)

There is your problem. It's your fuel pump.
I run that same pump and my idle fuel pressure went from 36psi to about 58psi.
I drilled a hole to relieve pressure and it worked but I got tired of priming my car everytime I started it. I've since switched to a aem fpr to solve the problem.

Wait you said it was the same w/stock pump....maybe it's your return line then, something's blocking the fuel flow back to the tank. I restriction prior to the fpr wouldn't cause high fuel pressure in the fuel rail.
Old 05-17-2004, 08:45 PM

Default Re: Pinch in the return fuel line? - No noobs. (b16ahybrid)

yeah at first I also thought it was his fuel pump because it flows so much more.
but he said it did the same thing with a stock fuel pump so it seems like it has to be something in the return line
Old 05-17-2004, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what motor are you running? i know someone who had a bad line from the fuel filter to the rail, and it caused high fuel pressure readings. he switched from his stock eh piece to a gsr one and it work fine.

i personally have a 255lph, stock b16 fpr, stock civic fuel lines on my b16, and my fuel pressure is fine, 39 with the hose on, 42 with the hose off and pinched
Old 05-17-2004, 09:01 PM

Default Re: (dantastic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dantastic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what motor are you running? i know someone who had a bad line from the fuel filter to the rail, and it caused high fuel pressure readings. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Where was his gauge mounted?
Before the fuel rail?
Old 05-17-2004, 09:19 PM
Louie_EM1

Default Re: (b16ahybrid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b16ahybrid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Where was his gauge mounted?
Before the fuel rail?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yeah what he said.
Bad line betweent he rail and the filter huh? I can't see why that won't cause a HIGHER psi?
Old 05-18-2004, 06:45 AM
New User

Default Re: (Louie_EM1)

high fuel pressure on a stock fpr = low manifold vacuum (or a disconnected vacuum hose at the regulator) or a restricted return line. plain and simple. use a vacuum pump and pump vacuum into the regulator through the vacuum port in the fpr and see if the pressure decreases. that'll at least eliminate that...
Old 05-18-2004, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

remove the return line at the FPR and run a new piece of hose into a bucket. if the fuel press normalizes, go to AutoZone and get some hard fuel line in the right size and make your own return line back to the tank replacing the stock line.
Old 05-18-2004, 09:04 AM
Louie_EM1

Default Re: (bbarbulo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bbarbulo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">remove the return line at the FPR and run a new piece of hose into a bucket. if the fuel press normalizes, go to AutoZone and get some hard fuel line in the right size and make your own return line back to the tank replacing the stock line.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yup looks like we'll do that.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:16 AM
Skoobie no more...

Default Re: (Louie_EM1)

Hey sorry to bring this thread back to life but did this work?

I have the same problem but im getting 93 PSI instead