Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Pics of my D15B swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2004, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pics of my D15B swap

Sorry if it's in the wrong forum but I just swapped in my JDM D15B/S20 LSD trans. and thought I'd post a few pics with a couple of questions. I have a Stainless header on the car as you can probably see, it's made by a company called Spoon Sports, I bought it used for a cheap price but found that after only 2 weeks it has cracked(wasn't cracked when I bought it). What would cause this? I installed a stock downpipe that has been enlarged to 2 1/4 and mated it to the stock exhaust, it all fit nice but I don't like the fact that Honda uses spring bolts. Could that be the problem? Should I weld in a flex pipe like many other cars have? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Here's the pics of the engine bay:

Also, you can see the valve cover still shows the writing the shop I got it from wrote with paint marker. I've tried everything to remove it with no luck, any ideas?

Thanks

D.
Old 10-18-2004, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Pics of my D15B swap (Masta)

clean engine
Old 10-18-2004, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Pics of my D15B swap (97hatchback)

the paint on mine wont come either
the guy i bought it from told me to use see green or something like that...something with green in it
Old 10-18-2004, 03:33 PM

i just painted over mine with flat black and it looks super clean... had to just sand off on top of the lettering
Old 10-18-2004, 03:33 PM

Default Re: Pics of my D15B swap (Art In Motion)

Simple Green maybe?
Old 10-18-2004, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i bet he told you to use simple green but even that wont work. tried it on my buddies motor
Old 10-18-2004, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Pics of my D15B swap (SiLuck2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SiLuck2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Simple Green maybe?</TD></TR></TABLE>
yeah thats it...oh well if it doesnt work i guess ill just paint mine...i love the sparkle of the OEM paint though
Old 10-18-2004, 03:38 PM

hey, I did a d15 swap in my civic and it hesitates a little bit does anyone know what that would be?
Old 10-18-2004, 03:45 PM

Default Re: Pics of my D15B swap (lohatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lohatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i bet he told you to use simple green but even that wont work. tried it on my buddies motor </TD></TR></TABLE>

werd it didn't do **** for mine..... looks good
Old 10-18-2004, 03:52 PM
Vice President/CEO

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Masta &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sorry if it's in the wrong forum but I just swapped in my JDM D15B/S20 LSD trans. and thought I'd post a few pics with a couple of questions. I have a Stainless header on the car as you can probably see, it's made by a company called Spoon Sports, I bought it used for a cheap price but found that after only 2 weeks it has cracked(wasn't cracked when I bought it). What would cause this? I installed a stock downpipe that has been enlarged to 2 1/4 and mated it to the stock exhaust, it all fit nice but I don't like the fact that Honda uses spring bolts. Could that be the problem? Should I weld in a flex pipe like many other cars have? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Here's the pics of the engine bay:
</TD></TR></TABLE>

spoon sports? wtf is that??

heh, clean engine man... nice install.
Old 10-18-2004, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Pics of my D15B swap (kKdARIAN)

I tried all the degreaser stuff, didn't work. I even tried laquer thinner, bad idea.
I guess I'll live with it, but I wish the JDM engine suppliers would quit writing that info on the VC, why not on the oil pan?
Anyway, any thoughts on the cracked header? I assume a Spoon header SHOULD be good quality. I'm a stainless Tig welder so it's easy to fix, I'm just puzzled at why it cracked in the first place.
And thnks for the kind words guys, My friend and I worked hard on the install to make it look factory and I fabbed that intake up at work, I like how it matches the header
I'm such a JDM *****.

D.
Old 10-18-2004, 06:09 PM

try somehing called " Goof Off " its pretty good at getting stuff off thats really stuck on there
Old 10-18-2004, 06:15 PM

welcome to the d15b club.. Now boost it!
Old 10-18-2004, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (whatsgood)

Goof off, I Tried that too, no luck.

D.
Old 10-18-2004, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Slammd Sol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Slammd Sol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">welcome to the d15b club.. Now boost it! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Was thinking about it but I've already started an ITB setup with some CBR 929 ITB's and I have an Exospeed Stage 3 cam to go in. I've had turbo before, it's alot of fun but I prefer NA.

D.
Old 10-18-2004, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Masta &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I tried all the degreaser stuff, didn't work. I even tried laquer thinner, bad idea.
I guess I'll live with it, but I wish the JDM engine suppliers would quit writing that info on the VC, why not on the oil pan?
Anyway, any thoughts on the cracked header? I assume a Spoon header SHOULD be good quality. I'm a stainless Tig welder so it's easy to fix, I'm just puzzled at why it cracked in the first place.
And thnks for the kind words guys, My friend and I worked hard on the install to make it look factory and I fabbed that intake up at work, I like how it matches the header
I'm such a JDM *****.

D.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What can cause a header to crack is no flexpipe, or in your case, no exhaust flange springs? Those allow the engine to flex when your driving. If your exhaust system isn't able to flex, the only thing it can do is crack at the headers.
Old 10-18-2004, 06:48 PM
====D

nice paint on the valve cover
cheers to you
Old 10-18-2004, 07:05 PM

Default Re: Pics of my D15B swap (GETrDONElikeWHOA)

i have rocked the writing for 6 months now

Old 10-18-2004, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Pics of my D15B swap (cxjon)

castrol GTX super clean engine degreaser.... takes the **** right off.... it also cleans up ANYTHING in the engine bay.... dont get it on polished parts, unless you feel like polishing them again.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Pics of my D15B swap (xtremeazian)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xtremeazian &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What can cause a header to crack is no flexpipe, or in your case, no exhaust flange springs? Those allow the engine to flex when your driving. If your exhaust system isn't able to flex, the only thing it can do is crack at the headers. </TD></TR></TABLE>

But I have the springs in place, that's what I don't understand, and I checked today while I revved the motor and saw that the springs and ball/socket joint SEEMS to be doing it's job. I also put in a ES rear trans. mount insert to limit movement. It just doesn't make sense!
Old 10-19-2004, 12:54 PM

i am now sucsesfully 2-0 for blowing a hole in two flex pipes... there gay... spring bolt systems are way better...awsome motor though.... i love d-series to death... my .o2... no flex pipe...
Old 10-19-2004, 02:31 PM

use carb cleaner. it will take it right off. that is what i used on mine.
Old 10-19-2004, 03:03 PM
egizzle8

Default Re: Pics of my D15B swap (IronOutlawz)

Never knew Spoon made a header for a sohc? Show some closer pics of that header.
Old 10-19-2004, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont mean to jack post but im doing a d15b swap too, what do you think of it so far
Old 10-19-2004, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Pics of my D15B swap (egizzle6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by egizzle6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Never knew Spoon made a header for a sohc? Show some closer pics of that header.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Here's a good header comparison article that shows the Spoon header, It just comes as the top piece and mates to the Z6 downpipe, which leads me to believe it's a fairly old header. When I got it it was quite discoloured, so I glass-beaded it at work, but otherwise it's in nice shape. Other than the 3/4" crack
http://www.hadamotorsport.com/....html
Look for the D-series Manifold comparison under the heading of product reviews.

It shows many headers, the Spoon pic is about 3/4 down the page.

As far as how I like the D15B, I love it! It revs like crazy(12 lb flywheel,underdrive pulley), The LSD trans. helps too. It sounds nice, It's OK on fuel except I can't seem to not rev the crap out of it at every shift If you want to keep the great balance and lightness of the EG with a D-series, and you don't mind a high revving, torqueless motor, it's a great choice. My swap(motor, trans, ECU, all maintenance items, clutch, etc.) came in at under 1000$ Canadian and for that I'm very pleased. I can't wait to put on the ITB's and race cam.

D.

Quick Reply: Pics of my D15B swap