Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

picked up gsr swap in Montreal - observations...

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default picked up gsr swap in Montreal - observations...

I went with j-spec auto for my engine package because he was the most helpful out of all the places in Montreal i called (plus i heard it was a half decent place). I still went to look it over and pick it up myself because i trust NO ONE who sells used engines, and rightly so.

He was a small time guy and was out of stock so he got "Nagano" to bring one over. The dumb nagano deliveryman brought a nice looking 1995 b18c for me, but he didn't not bring over the shift linkage, several motor mounts or the axels. So he was sent back to get them. The jspec guy then told me that that sort of thing happens all the time, and he deals with ALL the montreal supplyers.

Upon closer personal inspection of the engine i noticed that the valve cover was cracked. Likely from when it was pulled, so he got them to bring over another one of those too.

Interestingly, they wanted the cracked valve cover back, probably to put back on the engine my cover came from. I can see them shipping it off to some unsuspecting soul on the other side of the continent who would be better off buying a new one than exchanging

Now that its home and suspended, i can see a few more things, like a dent in the oil pan so sharp, that it must be almost through. They didn't clean it, fortunately, so i can see no leaks, except for a dribble from the oil drain hole. There was some oil on the dip stick, so it probably wasn't run dry. There is also missing nuts and bolts for the mounts, hopefully i'll be able to scrounge up enough.

another thing they seemed to do is cut things, like that half an axel sticking out of one side (i'll need that boot to replace the ripped one on the "good" axel that i did get). The shift linkage bracket that bolts to the engine is cut off too -DUMMIES!! Now i'll have to weld up a new bracket or let it drag on the pavement and not bother shifting.

The good things. The jspec guy seems like a good guy who cares about his customers. He's not an afghany donkey prodder (despite his name -Ismael?), so he can actually speak english. He gave me a reasonable price with the lsd tranny and didn't make me pay tax. And i got the full gsr header with O2 sensor like i asked for. The wiring harness came uncut too, which is rare.

now to install it, run it and do a compression test.

d
Old 07-30-2003, 07:06 PM
New User

Default Re: picked up gsr swap in Montreal - observations... (daver)

Dude don't be afraid about the hacked axles and rear mount...if they are pulled out of the cars in Japan, that is how they do it.
If they pull it out of a front-cut, most of the time the guys here won't cut everything, they just pull the axles out and remove the rear mount like a normal human being would.
That would probably be the reason yours came like that, because it was pulled out over in Japan. I have had many motors show up like that, that is why I get them from front cuts now, since all of the usable parts or parts I can use as cores are salvageable.
Jay
Old 07-30-2003, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: picked up gsr swap in Montreal - observations... (CanuckCRX)

what about the cut shift linkage bracket, are they too lazy to take out two bolts to preserve the shift linkage or just dumb dumbs?

d
Old 07-30-2003, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

rofl, shift linkage has the bitch pin in it, its a compressed fitting so the shifter doesn't feel sloppy.

Id cut the linkage if i worked in a salvage yard, those things take a long time and some muscle to get out sometimes. other times they pop right out.
Old 07-31-2003, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: picked up gsr swap in Montreal - observations... (Foozball26)

kay, i miss diagnosed how that linkage was connected. There are no bolts on that link. Its cut right at the universal joint.

Are we talking about the pin right at the tranny shaft, or the one that connects the two universal joint halves together. It looks pretty solid in there. Am i going to be able to hook my cx joint up to my gsr link joint?

d
Old 08-01-2003, 09:45 PM
New User

If you needed to you could cut and weld, but I would just buy a new GSR linkage.
Ebay it for 60-80 bucks, or just check around at the local junkyards, 1994-up Integra ALL (LS,RS,GS,GSR) and it'll fit. I know I find em for around 100 bucks shipped all the time here in Windsor.