Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

picked up gs-r rear trailing arms, need aligntment?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 12:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default picked up gs-r rear trailing arms, need aligntment?

hey guys. i have an eg and i just recently picked up a whole gs-r rear trailing arm assembly, with e brake cables too (thanks Newman!) for $200. i'm hoping to convert to rear disk. anyways my question is would i need an alignment after installing the arms? i figure i would since it would affect the geometry of the car wouldn't it? i just want to make sure so i know i 'm putting $60 to good use. thanks in advance for the replies.

p.s. oh and since i have the whole trailing arm assembly,(except the LCA's) can i bolt on an ITR rear swaybar? or would i need the ITR LCA's to do that? thanks again.
Old 02-19-2004, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: picked up gs-r rear trailing arms, need aligntment? (ntogethernow)

Ok, I just did the swap on my 92 Civ Coupe myself. Yes there will be an alignment issue, but not to fear. You are going to want it to trail just like your stock arms. Notice where the arm bolts into on the main frame. That bolt there is where it is adjusted for the rear alignment. ( I wish I had a pic, but the nut inside there can move back in forth in the slot and slot is roughy 2 inches long ) Notice the there will be a bare spot there after everything is removed. ( There be be road grime, this spot is where the nut was previously and no road grime could get behind it ) But anyways line up everything to this spot and make sure the nut is completly over the bare spot, and the rear arms should trail just like your stock drum arms did.
Old 02-19-2004, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: picked up gs-r rear trailing arms, need aligntment? (CrazyCiv)

Sorry, but about the rear sway arm. You will more than likely need the LCA's. The Stock LCA's probably don't have the holes for the bolts at the end of the Sway arm. On mine I had the LCA's too with my swap. I was going to use the sway arm with mine but I need to tack weld a nut to the main frame whre the LCA bolts to the car so I could mount the sway arm properly. Once you do the swap you'll see what you need when u place the Sway Arm up to it.
Old 02-19-2004, 10:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: picked up gs-r rear trailing arms, need aligntment? (CrazyCiv)

thanks for the info crazyciv, about the alignment, can't i just go get a computerized alignment at pep boys? just asking cause my car pulls a little to the right
Old 02-20-2004, 01:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: picked up gs-r rear trailing arms, need aligntment? (ntogethernow)

Pep boys wont do it if your car is dropped 2 inches or more. You wont fit their machine.

Yes get an alignment. There is a better way to do the swap other than the one mentioned w/out ruining the alignment. Keep your stock compensator arms. Don't unbolt them at the toe adjustment side, but at the opposite side.

Stop calling them GSR. They're identical to LS except the swaybars.

I forget about the ITR rear bar specifically, but you want to get the LCAs for any aftermarket bar or the stock GSR swaybar. The stock civic LCAs (on models w/out swaybars) have no threaded hole for the end links. But your subframe already has holes poked in it to accept swaybar to chassis mounts.

Info on the ITR rear bar or rear brake conversion w/out hurting the alignment is available in the form of How-to's online, but this isn't my computer so I dont have my links. I found them without much trouble by searching and asking around.