Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Phantom Grip Reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2003, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phantom Grip Reliability?

I did a search on phantom grip, and only found one person, who said it "sucked *****." Does anyone have personal experience with the phantom grip LSD. I like personal experience instead of "a friend of a friend of a friend said that blah blah blah" Rumors are often started by other companies, or by random people. I am just curious if anyone has personal experience with the product.

thanks
Old 09-21-2003, 05:33 AM

Default Re: Phantom Grip Reliability? (Shaggs2Dope)

I'm currently using one, and it works great. The only problem is, I'm getting alot of clicking and clunking sounds. I'll let everyone know what happens if it blows. It drives fine stil even with the noises, so maybe it's nothing..
Old 09-21-2003, 06:12 PM
D Tranny Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Phantom Slip.........
"Works so good you never know it's there"

Too bad they copied a CNC/OPM design.........

BTW, their lawyers stop calling along time ago.
Old 09-21-2003, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Phantom Grip Reliability? (Mista Bone)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mista Bone &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">"Works so good you never know it's there"</TD></TR></TABLE>

damn what a great slogan for a ******* LSD... i would kind of want to know its there
Old 09-21-2003, 06:13 PM

Default Re: Phantom Grip Reliability? (hondapwr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondapwr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm currently using one, and it works great. The only problem is, I'm getting alot of clicking and clunking sounds. I'll let everyone know what happens if it blows. It drives fine stil even with the noises, so maybe it's nothing..</TD></TR></TABLE>

Isn't that sentance contradicting itself?
Old 10-04-2003, 09:06 PM

Default Re: Phantom Grip Reliability? (Pho Real)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pho Real &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Isn't that sentance contradicting itself?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The sentence doesn't contradict itself because a noisy part and a broken part are two different things. The noises were actually coming from a loose tranny mount and a busted outboard CV joint. Now that both problems are fixed my car is noise free, and I'm still laying two smokey strips of rubber each time I launch the car.

8,000 miles and I'm still happy with the phantom grip.
Old 10-04-2003, 11:47 PM

Thanks for getting back to me so soon

Good to hear you are not having anymore noise issues
Old 10-04-2003, 11:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Phantom Grip Reliability? (Pho Real)

I wouldn't call the phantom grip an "LSD." It is not a differential, but a piece of metal that supposedly locks your stock diff together.

Just save up and get a Quaiffe or a Honda LSD.
Old 10-05-2003, 12:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Phantom Grip...hmm maybe you should call them ask if they have any customer feedback or references. I have sold many many Phantom Grips and installed them everytime without any problems. Running one right now.

A new design feature has been added, increases the locking load. (optional) Many different springs can be selected for different uses. Drag Racing, Road Race, etc.

So when did OPM get the patent on it? As far as I know Phantom Grip has it.
Old 10-05-2003, 12:34 AM

Default Re: Phantom Grip Reliability? (SOUNDEFFECTS)

i created a thread about this not too long ago (might have been what you found). everyone said they suck and your tranny will blow so save your $ and get a real one.
Old 10-05-2003, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have one in my tranny but I think that I need a higher spring rate. IT works good when turning but during lunching the other wheell still don't grip as good. Over a yr of abuse and the tranny still intact.
Old 10-05-2003, 08:45 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Phantom Grip sucks donkey ********* - period.
It's not even a real LSD. It's two metal plates that are spring-loaded that push against the spider gears in your stock diff. Over time (not too long either) the pressure against those spider gears breaks them, leaving your diff and possibly your entire tranny trashed.

I had a friend go through two trannies because of that Phantom **** units. First time he broke the diff, he called them and they said it must have been his tranny and that "we have units in cars that have been in for years" yet I've seen numerous stories of how the Phantom Slip has killed trannies.

Each time his diff blew due to the Phantom Slip, the metal pieces ripped through his tranny (because the magnet that is supposed to catch them had gotten full) and ruined pretty much everything, including the case because a piece got lodged between the ring gear and the case.

Aside from the fact that they can break your diff, they don't even work worth a ****. They're okay as a sort of "diff locker" when going straight, but they don't do dick when turning like areal LSD.

I'd love it if the thing actually worked, because I always like to see products that work that cost 1/2 or 1/3 of the original's price (like Rota wheels) that perform similiarly.

Unfortunately if you want an LSD, you'll need to find a real one like a (in no particular order) Quaife, Kaaz, Cusco, ATS, stock Honda from ITR or JDM B16A or B18C, etc.

Or you could simply sell your tranny and buy a Type R tranny.

Old 10-05-2003, 09:01 AM

2 of my close friends broke their 2000 Si differentials within one week of each other and both of there transmissions were stock. It might not be the phantom grip breaking their differentials
Old 10-05-2003, 09:17 AM
D Tranny Guru

Default Re: Phantom Grip Reliability? (B18C5-EH2)

Since I have a diff torn apart, time for a mini write-up to show the weak washers.

I've had 3 IT drivers contact me after their diffs blew.
Old 10-05-2003, 09:37 AM

the "random grip" broke in my gsr trannny and destroyed the diff. for the hassle of opening up a tranny, ill NEVER put one in again. they are CHEAP for a reason.
Old 10-05-2003, 09:48 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Phantom Grip Reliability? (jeremyEG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jeremyEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the "random grip" broke in my gsr trannny and destroyed the diff. for the hassle of opening up a tranny, ill NEVER put one in again. they are CHEAP for a reason.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You're right... they are CHEAP because it is an extremely SIMPLE design compared to something like a helical limited slip, or even a clutch-plate style limited slip.
Old 10-05-2003, 10:12 AM
D Tranny Guru

Default Re: Phantom Grip Reliability? (soccaian)

a cheap ripoff of the OPM design.

OPM uses clutches...........
Old 10-12-2003, 09:38 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mista Bone &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">a cheap ripoff of the OPM design.

OPM uses clutches...........</TD></TR></TABLE>

Maybe you could explain what the OPM design is, and why copying the design is such a bad idea. I don't think this thread is going to die anytime soon, so go ahead and do your min-write up. This seems to be the only thread with even halfway decent info on the Phantom Grip.

By the way, the PG has a number of different spring rates and new plate/gear designs. This means that the buyer should do some research and find the right parts to purchase before installing.

Also, the plates should not be in constant contact with the spiders gears. PG installation instructions tell you the clearance distance to set them at.

I now have two trips to the drag strip, and many days of hard driving on the PG with no problems. I'll be going to Beaver Springs PA on the 25th if anyone wants to come and talk about it.
Old 10-12-2003, 10:02 AM

well, i had about 20 trips down the drag strip and about 3 months of daily driving on mine before it broke. so dont think you are out of the woods just yet.

wheel hop is what ive heard to be the enemy for the PG. good luck. you might want to get a spare tranny in case it breaks though.
Old 10-12-2003, 11:42 AM

damn! turbo magazine is always promoting this product, probably gettin paid to . theyre always raving about how well it works, but there are certain prep's that are neccesarry for installation like" grinding flanges off the gears, other pain in the *** stuff. just my .02
Old 10-12-2003, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Phantom Grip Reliability? (97civhatch)

Its not neccessary to grind the flange off the gears on the rsx, but it does give it more of the spider gear to grab. If someone can pull the tranny, the casing, the gears, the diff, you would think taking the extra 30 mins to grind wouldn't be a big deal. TURBO doesn't get paid to call Phantom Grip and ask them to do a write up for there magazine. Sport Compact calls often as well, and they have even done a writeup on a nissan project car without even telling PG.

I beat on my car all the time, both wheels spin, Phantom Grip does its job. I put it in 2 years ago. No problems, ever.
Old 10-12-2003, 01:09 PM

Default Re: Phantom Grip Reliability? (SOUNDEFFECTS)

cool, ill remember that!
Old 10-14-2003, 06:42 PM

Enough wheel hop will kill any differential, even stock. I rarely have wheel hop except on rainy un-even surfaces. If it ever breaks, honda-tech will be the first to know.
Old 10-14-2003, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Phantom Grip Reliability? (97civhatch)

i'ave got one, 1 year, no problems.... I can lay down two black strips.... sometimes.... its wierd, sometimes it works really well, other times, not so much
Old 10-14-2003, 06:50 PM

Default Re: Phantom Grip Reliability? (toolowsol)

hey just a question along these lines...i have a 94 jdm b18c motor and tranny. when did they start equiping them with an LSD?

Quick Reply: Phantom Grip Reliability?