Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Performance loss with CEL, anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance loss with CEL, anyone?

Would these codes be holding back power unfixed?
My swap is throwing the following codes:

Code 1- o2 sensor
Code 3- MAP sensor
Code 17- VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor)
Code 43- Fuel Supply System

(used to run 14.41 @ 96.8 in my coupe, witch was over 100lbs more)

over a year 1/2 ago now I sold my 93 dx coupe w/ b20 swap (same as in car now) to some1 i knew at VA tech. a week after him getting the car it threw a CEL and staid on for a full year of him having the car. He said performance dropped very noticably. He then traded swaps with me and now I have the B20 swap in my hatch. The CEL's were still popping up on my car but Id flip the switch OFF then back ON to clear them (bout once a minute.. hah) well I just pulled the codes off to see what all was going on. I got the codes below:

Code 1- o2 sensor
Code 3- MAP sensor

Could these code be holding back power?

thanks again.
Old 06-20-2004, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Performance loss with CEL, anyone? (Typesi2nv)

hm i don't have the answer to your questions, so somebody help this man out.

how does he know that performance dropped? you're both different drivers, and the 1 1/2 years build up mileage.
Old 06-20-2004, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Performance loss with CEL, anyone? (jL iLLuZiOnz 9)

The coupe used to be mine and I put the swap in the coupe and ran the coupe. He baught the car and put only 8,500 miles on it. I got my old swap back and its as clean as ever but I have these CEL's to deal with now. I may not of explaind it right ... sorry

Idle is on the rough side and gas mileage is only about 20 mpg , so im assuming its running super rich.

The reason i'm asking that is because my topend isnt what it used to be and it used to ****** 4th on a regular bassis... haha

He said when the CEL came on for him performance dropped also every since, so hopfully I can get that light off.
Old 06-20-2004, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn, you really need to fix those codes. They are very messing your car up.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Typesi2nv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Code 1- o2 sensor</TD></TR></TABLE>

That is probably from a bad 02. What is the trim and year of your car?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Typesi2nv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Code 3- MAP sensor</TD></TR></TABLE>

Check the wires and switch the sensor out if teh wiring is ok. That will cause your bad gas mileage and the shitty idle. This is what mostly you are getting shitty proformance from.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Typesi2nv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Code 17- VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor).</TD></TR></TABLE>

Also, check the wires and make sure everything is ok. I do not see VSS go bad (sensor wise).

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Typesi2nv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Code 43- Fuel Supply System</TD></TR></TABLE>

This has to do with o2 sensor, see code 1 reply for info.

Old 06-20-2004, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Performance loss with CEL, anyone? (turbogixxer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbogixxer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Damn, you really need to fix those codes. They are very messing your car up.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah I know.. haha Its not raining too much this week so I think I'm going to fix these codes when i get off from work tomorrow.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbogixxer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That is probably from a bad 02. What is the trim and year of your car?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

92' DX ; The guy said he replaced the o2 sensor the same week he got teh car from me. Could be wired wrong... I'll have to check that.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbogixxer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Check the wires and switch the sensor out if teh wiring is ok. That will cause your bad gas mileage and the shitty idle. This is what mostly you are getting shitty proformance from.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I threw this code the week before i sold him the car, It was because I had a Venom control box that had a wire going to the MAP sensor and when i took it off it made a loose connection. I tightend the wires up and teh code was gone I know until i left with the car.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbogixxer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also, check the wires and make sure everything is ok. I do not see VSS go bad (sensor wise).

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'll look for that, thanks

You've been a lot of help
Old 06-20-2004, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Typesi2nv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
92' DX ; The guy said he replaced the o2 sensor the same week he got teh car from me. Could be wired wrong... I'll have to check that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

DX has a Four wire o2 for the factory, so either someone messed with the wiring or you used a "general" o2. I have seen "general" not work or as good as OEM. What brand is the 02?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Typesi2nv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah I know.. haha Its not raining too much this week so I think I'm going to fix these codes when i get off from work tomorrow.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good to see that you are fixing the car even after you sold the car. Most people would not.
Old 06-21-2004, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Performance loss with CEL, anyone? (turbogixxer)

I rewired the o2 sensor , fiddled with the Mapsensor, andpushed on all the speed sensor wires.
all the check engine lights went off except the fuel system code. 43.

I checked the heat white wire for voltage and it sits at 0.00 when car is on. dont read any... shouldnt it read .1-.2 when its first started up and .1-.9 when its been running for a minute or so? I'mma bout to try a differnt o2 sensor, a one pc. OEM o2 sensor.. I've heard the universal aftermarket o2 sensors arnt very good and can have problems (this one is new)

The sensor has this on it
JAPAN
11E24

I dont know the brand. Just know its a new sensor that has to be spliced.

Old 06-22-2004, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

any ideas?

by the way, Im not throwing a Speed Sensor code anymore, but my speed'o still isnt moving.
Old 06-22-2004, 01:18 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

make sure the VSS is good and still plugged in...

the 02 will cause your car to run like ****
Old 06-22-2004, 01:21 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Typesi2nv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Would these codes be holding back power unfixed?
My swap is throwing the following codes:

Code 1- o2 sensor
Code 3- MAP sensor

(used to run 14.41 @ 96.8 in my coupe, witch was over 100lbs more)

over a year 1/2 ago now I sold my 93 dx coupe w/ b20 swap (same as in car now) to some1 i knew at VA tech. a week after him getting the car it threw a CEL and staid on for a full year of him having the car. He said performance dropped very noticably. He then traded swaps with me and now I have the B20 swap in my hatch. The CEL's were still popping up on my car but Id flip the switch OFF then back ON to clear them (bout once a minute.. hah) well I just pulled the codes off to see what all was going on. I got the codes below:

Code 1- o2 sensor
Code 3- MAP sensor

Could these code be holding back power?

thanks again.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes they are. MAP sensor alone throws you into limp mode, causing the motor to run rich and the timing being retarted.

Make sure those sensors are good and plugged properly and try resetting the ecu.
Old 06-22-2004, 01:26 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Typesi2nv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I rewired the o2 sensor , fiddled with the Mapsensor, andpushed on all the speed sensor wires.
all the check engine lights went off except the fuel system code. 43.

I checked the heat white wire for voltage and it sits at 0.00 when car is on. dont read any... shouldnt it read .1-.2 when its first started up and .1-.9 when its been running for a minute or so? I'mma bout to try a differnt o2 sensor, a one pc. OEM o2 sensor.. I've heard the universal aftermarket o2 sensors arnt very good and can have problems (this one is new)

The sensor has this on it
JAPAN
11E24

I dont know the brand. Just know its a new sensor that has to be spliced.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hmm, no voltage? Check the continuity from the D14 pinout to the O2 sensor plug in the engine bay. Might as well check the rest of them as well.

D14 -&gt; WHT wire.
A6 -&gt; Org/Blk
A25 -&gt; Yel/Blk
D22 -&gt; Grn/Wht.

As for the VSS, make sure it's plugged in right and all the way.
Old 06-22-2004, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, they are totally screwing your performance.
Old 06-22-2004, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Performance loss with CEL, anyone? (BauleyCivic)

ok thanks for the replies. If the weather is alright tomorrow I'll do some more troubleshooting. Hopefully i'll get this all fixed and the engine running to spec again.