Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

performance chip 4 93 dx

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default performance chip 4 93 dx

I'm looking to get more performance out of my 1993 Honda Civic DX now that I have the intake/header/exhaust upgrades out of the way.
Only problem is I haven't been able to find anywhere I can get an ECU chip for an automatic tranny
I've already checked with Kenji, who was highly recomended, and he doesn't offer auto tranny chips.
I could really use some help about what my options are...
I definitly do not have the money for a standalone unit. These ecu chips I've seen have been very reasonable so I was hoping that there would be one out there for me.
I was also thinking if there is absolutely no chip that I can get for my ecu, then maybe there is a full ecu from another car which might benefit me. More than likely there isn't, so I hope someone can hook a brotha up!
Here's what I'm working with:
1993 Honda Civic DX
-D15B7 1.5L SOHC engine
-automatic transmission
-cold air intake
-DC Sports 4-2-1, 2-piece header
-Tanabe SMR cat-back exhaust.
Thank you very much for any help.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: performance chip 4 93 dx (ftwlucky13)

unless you plan on getting a tunable ECU, there's no reason to go messing around with it. Most of these "performance chips" by people like skunk2, mugen, etc are all designed for motors that are far more extensively modified than your i/h/e combo. Typically the only thing you're going to get out of a "chip" is a higher rev limit and maybe some more agressive timing/fuel - but, you can adjust your timing and be basically crudely doing the same thing (and the chip is going to be crude anyway due to it being made for a different setup) Really, you'd be better off with an Apex'I S-AFC and some dyno time over one of those.

- Nathan
Old 01-04-2005, 02:57 PM
POE
Honda-Tech Member

allright, u need to get rid of that auto tranny and get a 5 speed swap, or slap on a vtec head and IM and call it a day.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Vtecin94dx)

^ that too

- Nathan
Old 01-04-2005, 03:01 PM
POE
Honda-Tech Member

that chip will make you run rich and will be a waste of money.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:08 PM

So basically I should adjust the ignition timing to get the results that a chip would give anyway?

I've head advancing it slightly will be better for me, correct?
Old 01-04-2005, 03:11 PM
POE
Honda-Tech Member

if u want to tune it, then get an adjustable cam gear, and a fuel gauge and regulator, then maybe a VAFC hack or uberdata. and get a few more HP that way.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ftwlucky13)

With all the money you spent on I/H/E you could have swapped in a z6 and had money left over. Not to be a dick, but that motor sucks unless you do costly work. A z6 isnt exzactly the cream-of-the-crop but they can be had for a couple-hundred-dollars.
Otherwise just save your cash for a turbo or a swap.

And no a chip is not a waste of money. It just wont do much good with what you're working with.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:20 PM
POE
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mwieczorek43)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mwieczorek43 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">With all the money you spent on I/H/E you could have swapped in a z6 and had money left over. Not to be a dick, but that motor sucks unless you do costly work. A z6 isnt exzactly the cream-of-the-crop but they can be had for a couple-hundred-dollars.
Otherwise just save your cash for a turbo or a swap.

And no a chip is not a waste of money. It just wont do much good with what you're working with.</TD></TR></TABLE>
thats what i said it would be a waste of money, to him, its pointless on that setup, least u can use that same header on a z6 head(vtec head) u can find the whole mini me swap for like 300 or less including ecu.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:34 PM

The intake/header/exhaust definitly wasn't a waste because the only swap that I could even come close to affording would be a mini-me. It's definitly something I am hoping to do in the future.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92Lx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Typically the only thing you're going to get out of a "chip" is a higher rev limit and maybe some more agressive timing/fuel - but, you can adjust your timing and be basically crudely doing the same thing (and the chip is going to be crude anyway due to it being made for a different setup)

- Nathan</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is what I was refering to when I asked about my ignition timing.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Vtecin94dx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if u want to tune it, then get an adjustable cam gear, and a fuel gauge and regulator, then maybe a VAFC hack or uberdata. and get a few more HP that way.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is way out of the budget, thanks anyway. I know all the things I "could" do if I had the money

A turbo would be wonderful if I had a couple grand and a whole different engine too. To think of a turbo on my D15 would be a scary thought. It might be fun for a few seconds though

But seriously I have read of people using a tiny tiny bit of boost and getting away with it on the D15. Not worth spending a few grand on the setup though. There's much more I could spend that on.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:02 PM
POE
Honda-Tech Member

u could tune it for like 300 bucks at the most, vafc 175, cam gear 70, frp and gauge 60. and then dyno time.