Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

is the PCV system only for emissions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 02:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is the PCV system only for emissions?

Im really thinking that while at WOT, the PCV system is the same as just "venting" open loop to the atmosphere?

So why not just vent it the whole time? I have a feeling that my whole PCV catch can setup is just causing more restrictions than anything, and why not just run it open system? ive read that huge PCV thread, nothing learned. Would just venting the PCV port, and maybe venting the valve cover help with higher RPMs? im finding oil on the outside of the block, and when i turn the car off, i hear a HISSSS.

i dont have emissions here, and want the most efficient setup, and this closed line with a catch can seems like its not pulling out the pressure enough.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: is the PCV system only for emissions? (YoungKadafi)

Alot of people run aftermarket catchcans on there cars when there making power as it helps releave some of the pressure the motor is taking. Stock motors dont need so much venting (although it wouldnt hurt) so the stock PCV system is fine.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:57 PM

I disagree, the stock PCV system sucks. that valve clogs pretty fast.

however on a d16y8, mostly wiht standard **** done to it, would you just reccomend having the OEM setup without the catch can?

or having an open system? I just know that more vac hoses=more work to depressurize the crankcase, and my catch can=more vac lines.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (YoungKadafi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by YoungKadafi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I disagree, the stock PCV system sucks. that valve clogs pretty fast.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

You do know your suppose to change the PCV valve with every oil change right? The aftermarket ones you need to drain with every oil change (unless you run a return line). For a stock motor i dont see a reason for a catch can/breather system, but like i said it wouldnt hurt it to have it. Off the top of my head i dont believe D series has the block plugs like B series do, but you could always tap the head if need be.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:21 PM

i know, and the point of my PCV system is to eliminate changing that PCV valve every oil change. Along with the other benifits the catch can brings.

however its the added restrictions of the extra vac hoses which worries me since at WOT it would add for extra resistance to push the pressure out. ive tried looking for vac pumps but no luck yet.

but for a daily driver, would having a bunch of tapped ports just venting to open breather catch cans work? or would it kill your rings&gt;?
Old 03-21-2007, 10:45 AM

What about something like this????

Old 03-21-2007, 10:50 AM
cute little bastard

I forgot what your setup is, but if its a relatively stock Y8, I'd just stick with stock system.

On my poorman's R I'm having a lot of problems with my open breather system right now.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:53 AM

really what kinda problems do tell!

Its kinda stock right now, but maybe going FI' in the future. The OEM setup i have found so much crap in the IM, and that PCV valve clogs very often. Which i do change every oil change.

And now im finding ALOT of oil on the outside of my block. However there is no oil leak. However Since there will be check valves on the filter, shouldnt this still be a kinda closed loop setup?

Please tell the problems you have had?
Old 03-21-2007, 11:03 AM
cute little bastard

My can fills up to the brim every 4 days sometimes earlier so when it fills up, the filter gets drenched in oil, and then the oil drips out all over the place making a huge mess everywhere. Also a lot of water builds up inside also (from the fumes/vapors I'm guessing) and when the can gets full, I'm afraid the water/oil **** might go back into the hoses and back into my engine...

So what I did instead was put back one of the original block plugs back on, having only 1 hose from the block to the can and 1 hose from the valve cover to the can. So far its ok, but I have a feeling something else is going to go wrong.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:22 AM

Default Re: is the PCV system only for emissions? (SkoundrelUSA)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkoundrelUSA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I forgot what your setup is, but if its a relatively stock Y8, I'd just stick with stock system.

On my poorman's R I'm having a lot of problems with my open breather system right now.</TD></TR></TABLE>

sometimes the stock system isnt efficient... crankcase evacuation is an important part of an engine build. positive pressure in the crankcase can cause ring seal problems, resulting in loss of compression, or blowby. Blowby can also cause detonation.

Also, if there is positive crankcase pressure, the pistons can be essentially pumping air on thier way back down the cylinder following the compression stroke, resulting in a parasitic power loss.

Modified by allricedout at 12:36 PM 3/21/2007
Old 03-21-2007, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is the PCV system only for emissions? (allricedout)

you can't boost on PCV system, positive intake manifold pressure AKA PIMP will cause engine failure via PCV
Old 03-21-2007, 11:33 AM

we all know this ^^^^, i think being boosted is easier than a daily drivin NA, which your trying to keep the internals spotless, since 100% of the time your in vacuum. So on a daily driver no matter what your getting smelly **** inside your engine.

Im mostly worried about keeping my oil clean, thats it. And by having the OEM system, your not only having all that poopy brown stuff sucked back into the engine, but when that **** actually gets drained back into the oil.

I want a system which makes sure every burned vapor/drop of oil doesnt see the inside of my engine again. I can refill my oil, but I cant change it out every few weeks.

I think this setup would recycle the oil, and having to put in fresh oil, would probably allow me to go a 1000 miles extra b4 another oil change.

Im going to have the catch can sit lower than the PCV breather box, so oil CANT be drained back into the block.

I might take it a step further and have an auto purge system like the EVAP solenoid, to purge "drain" the catch can @ idle.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:27 PM

yea it is only for emissions, it burns the oil fumes under the valve cover. and it creates a vacume in the valve cover to release evcess pressure in the head and allows the motor to spin up quicker.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:32 AM

I already know what the PCV system is for, and its not really for that, at all ^^^^^^^^

The positive crankcase ventalation system vents pressures from the crankcase, which also carries oil and blowby. unburnt fuel and oil is the result of blowby slipping past the rings. Most auto manufactures thought it would be easiest to use the IM for a way of recycling these vapors, and it to create a vacuum effect to help even out the pressures in the crankcase. Without the PCV system you would blow gaskets left and right. From the oil pan gasket all the way to the valve covergasket because the whole engine becomes filled with positive pressure. The valvecover and block are connected by 2 oil galleys, so I drilled 2 holes into my valve cover to assist venting out these pressures.

However last night I kinda messed up and it took me along time to get these hooked up (i used jbweld, which sucks to apply) And the 1st set of home depot couplers i used were rubbing against the valvesprings. So i had to restart.

Question is, now that i have my valve cover vented, Do I still need negative pressure pulling the crank case pressures out? or can I now just vent the lower port? remember, this is a daily driver. Currently i have 2 front ports on the valve cover, the Valve cover breather venting, but can the PCV is still being pulled in by vacuum.

I ask this because, last night i was totally revising my PCV system to be linked in with my brake booster, and realised that PCV valve SUCKS for airflow, i mean it has like 0 flow through it. Brand new PCV valve to. and maybe if I had a large hose rigged up to that oil seperator, the pressures would be very close to atmospheric.

Oh and its a d16y8