Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Password's J's replica intake or AEM V2?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Password's J's replica intake or AEM V2?

IF anyone cares to help me on picking intake, read on....TIA if anyones interested in helping me pick

Sup guys. Well I have a 95 civic coupe (soch v-etec) milage is a little up there 123k. Anyways looking to get a intake, just needed some help on picking out which one.

I know lots of peeps will say intake only gives you 2+hp gain or whatever if not but I can care less about that part. If I really do get the much gain or a tad more okay whatever, BUT only need help in which one give me a better air flow to engine etc.

So I've been looking and I looked at two intakes 1: Password:JDM Carbon Fiber Power Chamber Intake and 2: the AEM V2 intake

I'm only using these to model but if you have one of the two on a 92-95 civic ex let me know, which one I should go with. Don't know much but with the gains I figure better air flow so...

-----Only thing I read on the Password:JDM Carbon Fiber Power Chamber Intake is that of what is up on their site posted with the stock b16 engine dyno. which they "gain" 6.5HP and 7.4 Torque over stock.
-------The only search I've gotten on the AEM V2 is their dyno on a '97 civic coupe (soch v-tec) Which I know is a different engine from what I have the y8. But they're dyno had a "gain" of 7HP and didn't give no Torque gains. Stock was at 105.1 hp @ 6,600rpm and gains at 112.1hp @ 6,600rpm.

So with the AEM V2 getting a more gain in HP in their dyno does it mean that theirs is better in air flow? I know the filters too have something to do with it as well if not, but I'm planning on running K&N filters for sure with which ever intake. But what should be my pick? I don't really like one more than the other they're both okay too me, I just want help deciding from the two. Let let me know which one.

ps Oh also if I do go with Password how much total will I be spending if I order one from them including their shipping charge which is how much? AEM V2 I know is like $230+ or something price really kinda don't matter to me

Old 01-12-2007, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

(soch v-etec)!!!!!!!!hahah oops! Okay no talking smack just help if interested okay peeps!! Otherwise don't bother! Thanks
Old 01-12-2007, 04:22 PM

If you search around on the J's racing one, I believe there was quite a few people that said its a complete waste of money, or at least did not perform to thier expectations. There was also a test (im not sure about the details), that concluded that thier test car actually lost a bit of power with it. Others praise it though, so who knows.

Out of the two you listed, my vote would go towards the V2 simply because its proven technology and I've personally heard nothing bad about it except for the price tag. I also think its asthetically pleasing in the engine bay.

Either way, good luck in your search and make sure you look around for the best price because the AEM one can be a bit on the pricey side if bought from the wrong place.

And I hope that anyone else that posts in this thread can actually give you a REASON on why they choose one intake or another, and not just say AEM SUCKS!!! J'S ROCKS!!!! I hate when people blindly reccomend something with no evidence or details to support thier claim. And I assume you know this since you corrected yourself in the above post, but there's no hyphen in vtec. Its just those 4 simple letters.....VTEC.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (I Shot 50 Cent)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by I Shot 50 Cent &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
And I hope that anyone else that posts in this thread can actually give you a REASON on why they choose one intake or another, and not just say AEM SUCKS!!! J'S ROCKS!!!! I hate when people blindly reccomend something with no evidence or details to support thier claim. And I assume you know this since you corrected yourself in the above post, but there's no hyphen in vtec. Its just those 4 simple letters.....VTEC. </TD></TR></TABLE>

That's what I'm saying! if people really don't want to help don't bother and yeah I did correct myself
Old 01-12-2007, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDMegCoupe)

idk but i have the aem cai on my b16a2, not v2* but it works well. i like it, it came with the car when i got it tho, i guess you can get the jdm carbon fiber one and save some $$$$$$$, im sure theres not much hp/tourqe difference between the two. your call.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if your state has carb laws go with aem, if not then get k/n filter with a ebay intake pipe...you'll save money this way trust me
Old 01-12-2007, 04:39 PM

Default Re: (bmoua)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bmoua &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if your state has carb laws go with aem,</TD></TR></TABLE>

VERY good point! Since I live in NJ I forgot all about carb laws. I'd definitely go with the AEM if you have those kind of requirements in your state.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm in weedsconsin (wisconsin) do have emssions don't know how strick would think the same otherwise?

As far as ebay nawh I'm staying away from ebay...but if I do get the AEM I'll look around for pricing but right now not sure which one yet...
Old 01-12-2007, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMegCoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm in weedsconsin (wisconsin) do have emssions don't know how strick would think the same otherwise?

As far as ebay nawh I'm staying away from ebay...but if I do get the AEM I'll look around for pricing but right now not sure which one yet...</TD></TR></TABLE>

well then try looking for used intakes then...thats what i would do...but if you have the money to get a new one then go ahead bro...
Old 01-12-2007, 05:05 PM
Davis Photography

i got my pswrd jdm intake for 200 shipped. it performs well and is very visually pleasing!
Old 01-12-2007, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

comparing dyno numbers on cold air intakes is for ricer magazines. especially on a basically stock motor.

NO CAI will provide a gain worth mentioning, so you really have 2 options 1)get the cheapest one (if you really think its gonna help) 2) get the one that you feel personally looks best.

my opinion is a hacked stock air box with a drop in filter will perform just as well, better in some cases, just doesnt look as good to some.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bmoua)

I've been looking in the craiglist and all but nothing...as far as money for a new one, yeah I guess...but just not sure which to go with...still new to this tunning thing...liking it so far
Old 01-12-2007, 05:12 PM
Davis Photography

does this help?
Old 01-12-2007, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (schardbody)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by schardbody &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">comparing dyno numbers on cold air intakes is for ricer magazines. especially on a basically stock motor.

NO CAI will provide a gain worth mentioning, so you really have 2 options 1)get the cheapest one (if you really think its gonna help) 2) get the one that you feel personally looks best.

my opinion is a hacked stock air box with a drop in filter will perform just as well, better in some cases, just doesnt look as good to some. </TD></TR></TABLE>

True only problem is #2 that's why I'm in here....open for other intakes as well, that perform just as well...but if it's crap/no better than my stock air box i might as well just keep stock box...BUT thanks so far guys
Old 01-12-2007, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DrewMD)

Is that what I think it is? (a whale's ****! j/p) look at that thing--I should get it so I can just pop open the hood everythime just for the ladies nawh j/p BUt umm $200 shipped not bad I guess, price really anit a issue....How does it feel once you put it on, compared to stock/whatver you had before? So is this think just one or two? Like is it a cold intake? If it's like both whatever password says how is it? I only know it's good to run cold air intakes, not?
Old 01-12-2007, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

AWH! Can't type for **** right now!getting old!I need a bigger keyboard! hahah j/k
Old 01-12-2007, 05:31 PM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

get an ebay sri and put a k&n filter on it. does the same thing for waaaayy cheaper.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:04 PM
Davis Photography

its just a short ram but i felt pwer from what i had. i used to have just the filter on the T/B. construction is great, weave is great. Install was easy. like it much better than other intakes.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (doood)

get any CAI. you can use it later if you decide to go turbo!
Old 01-12-2007, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Password's J's replica intake or AEM V2? (JDMegCoupe)

i have a whale ***** on my b16 hatch and i absolutly love everything about it.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Password's J's replica intake or AEM V2? (EK 2 9K)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by I Shot 50 Cent &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you search around on the J's racing one, I believe there was quite a few people that said its a complete waste of money, or at least did not perform to thier expectations. There was also a test (im not sure about the details), that concluded that thier test car actually lost a bit of power with it. Others praise it though, so who knows. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Can anyone else tell me more on this if it's true? ..with the lost of power thangy...only things I've heard was people love it and blah blah blah but really nothing bad, so anything bad at all about the J's intake? thanks
---As far as AEM I guess other than it's price AEM is AEM they're good that's all I hear...
Old 01-13-2007, 10:40 AM
memoryFAB.com representative

Default Re: Password's J's replica intake or AEM V2? (JDMegCoupe)

you have to understand that the carbon J's racing knock off is for more mid range and throttle response, and a CAI will be for top end power mainly. besides we sell ours cheaper and w/ a better filter than password see my sig
Old 01-13-2007, 11:00 AM

Default Re: (solbrothers)

in that new magazine called Project Car Mag they put a aem v2 on a 1995 civic ex with the dc header and exhaust and got 15 whp.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:04 AM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (excivicboy96)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by excivicboy96 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">in that new magazine called Project Car Mag they put a aem v2 on a 1995 civic ex with the dc header and exhaust and got 15 whp.</TD></TR></TABLE>

it's nice that you believe everything you read in magazines
Old 01-13-2007, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Password's J's replica intake or AEM V2? (spock_rocker)

so the j's racing one is mostly just for mid range that's why the lost of power falls a bit short, no? But I though it was both mid and top from what password had on the site no? But how much cheaper is yours/how much shiped?

Oh aslo I have a idea of what CAI is. What is CAI just so I'm not reading it wrong? I should do a post next on H-T on all the short keys and what they mean/stand for!

Quick Reply: Password's J's replica intake or AEM V2?