Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Passenger wheel "chirp"

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger wheel "chirp"

I've been having some issues with my passenger wheel. It makes irratic bird-like chirps when driving. Intermittant and doesn't always happen. The outside rim of the rotor was shinny like the clips for the brake pads had been rubbing so I replaced them and the noise was still there. Last night I put the car up on jack stands and took both wheels off and started it and ran it in first gear. The driver wheel would spin but not the passenger. I then took the pads and caliper off the passenger side and in fifth gear at a idle it would barely turn and made a loud scheeching noise from the spindle. About the only thing that could be is the wheel bearing correct? Like it's starting to sieze up or something because to my knowledge that passenger wheel should be the power wheel in a open differential setup
Old 08-05-2008, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Passenger wheel "chirp" (HeikDiesel)

im thinking seized caliper?? need new pads? bleed your lines? this is before you go and act on a wheel bearing. but it might be a wheel bearing.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Passenger wheel "chirp" (davefromPA)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by davefromPA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im thinking seized caliper?? need new pads? bleed your lines? this is before you go and act on a wheel bearing. but it might be a wheel bearing.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I took the calpier and pads off and it was still dragging and making the noise
Old 08-05-2008, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be your wheel bearings, but as far as only one wheel spinning, I read that the actual drive wheel is the driver side.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sageuvagony)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sageuvagony &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Could be your wheel bearings, but as far as only one wheel spinning, I read that the actual drive wheel is the driver side.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Shouldn't be. Path of least resistance is the passenger axle.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HeikDiesel)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HeikDiesel &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Shouldn't be. Path of least resistance is the passenger axle. </TD></TR></TABLE>

^true. passenger side is path of least resistance. go on ebay and buy new bearings. seen them being sold earlier this week. try it out and let us know.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (davefromPA)

or take yours out and look at it and re lube it.

or see if wd-40 works. &lt;stupid idea but someone has to say it
Old 08-05-2008, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (davefromPA)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by davefromPA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

^true. passenger side is path of least resistance. go on ebay and buy new bearings. seen them being sold earlier this week. try it out and let us know. </TD></TR></TABLE>

They are on their way along with extended studs. Figured I'd kill two birds with one stone while I had it apart. I'll let ya know
Old 08-05-2008, 11:54 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HeikDiesel &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Shouldn't be. Path of least resistance is the passenger axle. </TD></TR></TABLE>

A differential will provide equal torque to both wheels, however the differential will allow the wheels to rotate at different speeds. Whichever wheel happens to have the least traction will spin, its entirely dependant on the surfaces under the wheels and has absolutely nothing to do with the drivers or passengers side wheel. Heres a link to a wikipedia, they can explain this far better than i can. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D...ce%29
Old 08-05-2008, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (94EG8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94EG8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

A differential will provide equal torque to both wheels, however the differential will allow the wheels to rotate at different speeds. Whichever wheel happens to have the least traction will spin, its entirely dependant on the surfaces under the wheels and has absolutely nothing to do with the drivers or passengers side wheel. Heres a link to a wikipedia, they can explain this far better than i can. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D...ce%29 </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm not even going to go there
Old 08-05-2008, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HeikDiesel &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'm not even going to go there </TD></TR></TABLE>
Man you might want to read the link he gave you. It seems really apparent that you have no idea how a diff works.