Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Passenger side door lock problem SEARCHED..

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 08:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger side door lock problem SEARCHED..

hi i got a 96 hatchback dx no power options but i got keyless entry via clifford alarm. i got doors with no keyholes.

problem is my passenger side lock will not open up all the way after pressing the unlock button or if i manually unlock the driver side it will only kind of half way unlock.

the only way to open the passenger side is to kinda "jimmy" the lock lever from the inside and even then if you dont do it correctly it wont open.

basically my passenger side door lock will only unlock itself halfway not allowing anyone to come in through the outside. and if youre leaving the inside if you just manually do it with normal amount of force it will get stuck and wont unlock without doing the "trick"

thanks guys.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Passenger side door lock problem SEARCHED.. (sittingonROTAS)

I have same problem. I am going to solve it by cutting the rod right after where the actuator pushed it, because its the rest of the rod thats rubbing against the door panel that stops it from sliding.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:56 AM

hmm. thanks keep me updated. you think you can take pics for me?

thanks a/c gangsta.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you can get the inner door panel off...
inspect the backside of the inner door panel to see if there is any type of rubbing/binding. you might have to move your door lock actuators (DLA) a tad in order to fix it.
a lot of times the aftermarket actuators have a small coupler that lets the DLA attach to the factory lock rods. this tiny coupler usually has 2 small screws that like to catch the inside of the inner door panel causing it to bind. so pull the inner door panel and see if there is any evidence of rubbingin the vicinity of the DLA itself or it's little coupler.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jz98ctr)

Right like he said, take off your door panel and keep pressing lock unlock lock unlock and see what you can figure out.

This aftermarket door lock motor is a piece of **** and i have been ******* with it for almost 9 months and it still doesnt work. Last resort is to cut the excess rod off like i was saying.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lotta times it was just never aligned properly to begin with. when i was doing car alarms and stereos constantly my bosses hated me cuz i took so long to complete a project but they were ALWAYS smiling cuz the customer never had to come back with a problem to be fixed....just to come and get more equipment!!!!
i was always totally **** about my work...the bosses never appreciated it but the customer always did. i wouldn't get paid for working on a car 2x so i had to make sure it was 100% (not 99% like the majority of shops out there) before it left the shop.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:57 PM

thanks a lot guys! any tips on removing the door panel?

oh yea i dont know if this makes sense but when i was resetting my ecu and disconnected the neg battery terminal and reconnected it, it worked for awhile? weird.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you said you have a 96...correct....easy as pie brother
first roll your window all the way down.
then unscrew the #2 phillips screw behind the inner door handle. you kinda have to pull the handle while unscrewing it. after the screw's out, you have to wiggle the bezel a little to get it out. you kinda have to push forward and/or backwards on it to get it out then unplug the lock switch.
next you must pull the #2 phillips screw from the inside door pocket handle thingy (the part you grab to close the door from the inside). after the screw's out wiggle the panel a bit and it should come out then unplug the window switches.
next....pull the speaker grille off by gently prying at the bottom edge of the grille, it should just pop right off easily. i found it's a little easier to just take the speaker out at this point. there should also be 3 brass #2 phillips screws around where the speaker was mounted (slightly recessed). pull the 3 screws out.
lastly.. gently tug on the bottom edge of the door panel itself...or if you happen to have a panel tool...use it! start at one BOTTOM corner of the door and work your way acroos the bottom of the door popping the clips. they should pop with a little persuasion. after all the pops are popped...lol...kinda lift upwards on the backside of the inner door panel to kinda kick it up and forwards (lambo style). at this point you should be able to gently pull backwards so the panel comes towards the back of the car a little bit and the inner door is off. install in reverse order...cake.
and when i say backwards i mean towards the back of the car not backwards towards yourself
Old 02-01-2007, 03:15 PM

holy **** i got it to work i dont know how. i just lubed everything up and looked for rubbing but didnt see any but it worked. then i had a *** putting the damn door panel back on. i litterally almost cut my fingers off pulling the window hook whatever over the door.

after i finally got it back on i tested it and it stopped working!?!

i tried it again and now its worst and i cant get the panel back on. holy ****.

i got manual windows so i couldnt take the whole panel off the the side closer to the side view mirror is not going over the damn steel door.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry man....i was not paying attention when you said a dx without power windows. i shoulda known to warn you about the manual window crank. not really hard unless you don't have the right tool to get it off. i've found that you can use a pick tool to get off the "jesus clip" that retains the window cranks.
kinda looks like an omega sign
if you can press against the inner door panel to release pressure against the back of the window crank and you should be able to get a small pick tool in there to gently pry off the jesus clip. be very careful when doing these clips cuz they go FLYING once they let go, so if you can, kinda cup your hands around the area while trying to remove the clips to help prevent losing them. i'll see if i can locate a thread with pix cuz i'm broke and don't have money for a digicam....
however...i somehow found the loot to ****** me up a gt35r for the type-r....
my priorities are fukked up lol
Old 02-02-2007, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry man i tend to get a little long winded but i find that if i can explain something in detail it sometimes makes things a little easier on the reciever of the info

getting the inner door panels off is a cakewalk (for me anyways cuz i got all the tools) and if you know where all the screws and **** are you should be able to get the door panel off within a minute or 2 tops...even with minimal experience
Old 02-02-2007, 10:25 AM

haha thanks man i really appreciate it. getting it off was easy. putting it back on is the problem. ill take pics later but the metal flap alongside the little window cushion will not go over the actual door. its hard to explain. i can get one side over and the other side is impossible.

right now i have a broken passenger door lock and i cant get the panel back on haha.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sittingonROTAS)

So it worked when the door panel was off

it stopped working when the door panel was on

That means the door panel is stopping the rod from sliding somewhere.

Heres an idea to see where its rubbing. Put some colored substance that will easily rub off, all over the rods. then put the panel back on, unlock and lock a bunch of times, take it off and see where the color is on the back of the panel.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:14 PM

yay thanks everybody. i took the window crank off and just tightened every screw and lubricated it and put the door panel back on and it works!

meh. i was thinking about selling my hatch and buying another integra but now i want to keep this bad boy and put a shitload of money into it haha..

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1880908