Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Passed California Smog - 2000 HX some tips for others

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passed California Smog - 2000 HX some tips for others

Well my 2000 HX M/T finally passed smog the other day. It failed pretty bad on the NO the first time I smogged it after I bought it and I was told it was most likely a bad catalytic converter. For the HX, this is a billion dollars, so my instant reaction was FML. Later I found a thread of someone with similar results that did a thorough EGR chamber cleaning and passed afterward. I ordered the parts for this but alas, was running short on time to get it smogged and didn't feel like doing it that particular weekend.

Anywho, I did end up passing without the EGR cleaning or a new catalytic converter and will give some tips to anyone else in a similar situation based on the numbers I originally scored.

First the original numbers @143,320 miles and 89 octane gasoline:

Now for the passing score @ 149,062 miles and 87 octane gasoline:

Only things I did to the car between the first and second tests were change engine oil, oil filter, distributor cap & rotor, spark plugs, spark plug wires, did idle adjustment, and SeaFoam treatment. I did not end up doing the EGR chamber cleaning although I probably still will in the future, and best of all did not need to buy a new catalytic converter (yet at least). Additionally, I'd also like to note that I drove on the freeway for about 20-30 minutes before the passing test at about 70mph and left the car running while I filled out the paperwork for the test.

Moral of the story, if you're in a similar situation with an HX of your own, try the above first before you spend the money on a new catalytic converter. All of the parts replaced above were replaced with genuine OEM Honda parts, and after my experience with an aftermarket oil pan, I would recommend to any HX owners to buy the OEM parts when ever possible; they are more expensive than the other trim levels in most cases, but well worth the benefit of an exact bolt on replacement that will not jeopardize your shot at passing emissions (especially in Cali) in the future.

I hope this helps.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Passed California Smog - 2000 HX some tips for others

damn you breezed through the second session. good job. i think the most helpful part of your passing score was letting the cat warm up with those freeway runs.