Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Parking Brake Adjust

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking Brake Adjust

Ok....so I feel like a total dumbass for having to ask this but, to be honest I've searched online, on honda-tech, in manuals, and on this alldata system that has like a manual for every car made on its system.

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to adjust the e-brake on my 93 del sol S. I just got done replacing the rear shoes (drums in the back) and now the e-brake needs to be adjusted. The pads are working great, I've got all the brakes bled and properly adjusted but I just have no e-brake, it pulls up all the way.

Everything I've come across says that there is a little adjuster nut and mechanism under the console, which apparently del sols do not have. So I went underneath the car and moved an exhaust heatshield out of the way and found the spot where the two cables come together. That mechanism is working fine, it engages all the way when pulling the e-brake, and theres no adjuster there either. So we've come to the conclusion that it needs to be adjusted at the drums, but I can't think of any way to adjust them in there either, unless I just missed something.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:39 PM
I'm not Rick!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Parking Brake Adjust

take out your arm rest. its right under it....where the 2 cables meet the bracket. use a wrench to turn that nut on the bracket one way or the other.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:42 PM

on my sol there is a nut on the side of the e-brake handle that kicks out to the right(passengers) and then you can turn it.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by rick_rabies
take out your arm rest. its right under it....where the 2 cables meet the bracket. use a wrench to turn that nut on the bracket one way or the other.
Apparently you didn't read. I have no such adjuster, the cables meet underneath the car right above the exhaust heat shield

Originally Posted by nateb22
on my sol there is a nut on the side of the e-brake handle that kicks out to the right(passengers) and then you can turn it.
I'll take a look at that tomorrow, anythings worth a look.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:48 PM

I adjusted that nut, and tightened it down all the way but it didn't do anything. the problem has to be further back in the drums I think. looks like i'll be taking those puppies off again soon....ugh...
Old 05-17-2009, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

some times it the actual cable that is worn but i dought it ...
Old 05-17-2009, 09:57 PM

on the back side of the drums there is a gear that is inbetween the drum pads that you can loosen or tighten to set the resting position of the drums pads.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:00 PM

i have the same parking brake problem but i have rear rotors, not drums, i have no idea what to do about mine.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:01 AM

yeah but the drum pads are adjusted just fine, its only the parking brake that is the problem, and it has nothing to do with the cable, it didn't magically wear out all of a sudden when i replaced the brake shoes.

Looks like I'm on my own until I have an oppurtunity to take the drums off again cuz this is getting me nowhere.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon3 Re: Parking Brake Adjust

Im having the same issue on a EJ1...

i replaced the wheel cylinder on the passenger side, the drum on the passenger side and the shoes on both drums. i put everything back together (went by my chiltons and some random civic forum threads) and the foot brake works fantastic but the parking brake does not grab hard enuff to keep the car still on even a small incline. im having to leave it in gear to park it.

i HAVE adjusted the "self adjuster" ratcheting mechanism just below the wheel cylinder on both sides.

i HAVE adjusted the nut behind the parking brake inside the car. the handle comes up about 9 clicks to tight.

i reinstalled the parking brake lever (inside the hub) the only way it would go. i only did one side at a time so i know they r not switched.

i pulled off the drum and watched the shoes' behavior when the ebrake is pulled. its not even at all. when the handbrake is applied, only the upper end of the front shoe moves out. everything else stays relatively in place.

i have driven it to try to allow the pads to seat and the self adjuster to adjmust properly but to no avail. still no parking brake!!

HELP!
Old 09-04-2009, 02:23 PM

must have been only on the 93's then, because my 94, 95, and 96 sols all had the adjuster under the arm rest as well as my 96dx. Ill look again marrow at my 95 (its gutted ATM) and see if i can find something out for you.