Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

paper clip trick

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2003, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default paper clip trick

My SRS light is on and my horn isnt working so i've been tryin to reset it by shorting the MES connector with a paper clip,however, i dont think im doin it right so could somebody tell me what to actually do witth the paper clip to short this...tia
Old 11-20-2003, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: paper clip trick (ebpG2)

Be careful, then you really might mess something up....
Old 11-20-2003, 12:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only paper clip trick I know is jumping the service connector to pull codes.

If you are talking about removing your air bags, there is a red connector you can plug the air bag into so it doesn't have any chance of voltage going to it.
Old 11-20-2003, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: paper clip trick (poison)

I've been trying to help this guy out. I gave him the thread about resetting his SRS light and it does'nt seem to be helping. Why don't you just tell us what the problem is and maybe we can help you better?
Old 11-20-2003, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: paper clip trick (Ricey McRicerton)

i dont know what to do with the paper clip...lol...im considerin takin this to a shop or somethin....my car has an srs light on for some reason and my horn doesnt work..im tryin to fix this problem
Old 11-20-2003, 02:41 PM

SRS lights up in my car too, i'm also interested in turning that damn thing off. bump.
Old 11-20-2003, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: paper clip trick (d16zpfftpfftvroom)

pull the bulb out
Old 11-20-2003, 03:40 PM
POE
Honda-Tech Member

yo i need to learn how to do the paper clip trick in my civic 94 coupe, i have a check engine light that comes on, but it wont blink i dont think iam doing it right.
Old 11-20-2003, 03:44 PM

Default Re: (Vtecin94dx)

You might want to have someone find out what the light is before you do the "paper clip trick".

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Vtecin94dx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yo i need to learn how to do the paper clip trick in my civic 94 coupe, i have a check engine light that comes on, but it wont blink i dont think iam doing it right.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 11-20-2003, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Cheivic)

okay....i cant get that srs light to go off after following the steps so i'm guessing that theres somethin unplugged somewheres...theres no passenger side airbag, so what could it be thats causing the light to be on(cant turn it off unless the problem is fixed)
Old 11-20-2003, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ebpG2)

I think you are talking about your 93 so not having that passenger airbag should'nt hurt (I don't think they came with one). Check your fuses and if you are having that much trouble with it maybe you should take it to a shop.

BTW: Here is the resetting the SRS light thread
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=264288
Old 11-20-2003, 08:05 PM

Default Re: paper clip trick (Ricey McRicerton)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've been trying to help this guy out. I gave him the thread about resetting his SRS light and it does'nt seem to be helping. Why don't you just tell us what the problem is and maybe we can help you better?</TD></TR></TABLE>jusy disconnect the car baterry for like an hour i think, either that or leave the key in the ignition on the thingy before enigne turns on for an hour
Old 11-20-2003, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: paper clip trick (EdianTfw)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EdianTfw &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">jusy disconnect the car baterry for like an hour i think, either that or leave the key in the ignition on the thingy before enigne turns on for an hour</TD></TR></TABLE>

what would this do for me?
Old 11-20-2003, 08:20 PM

Take it to the dealership, they'll turn it off for $50.
Old 11-20-2003, 08:59 PM
Trial User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ebpG2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My SRS light is on and my horn isnt working so i've been tryin to reset it by shorting the MES connector with a paper clip,however, i dont think im doin it right so could somebody tell me what to actually do witth the paper clip to short this...tia</TD></TR></TABLE>

do you have cruise control??? does that work? if not then its the reel that is behind the wheel, it can go bad and cause the airbag light to go on, horn to stop working, and cruise control to stop working as well. i swapped a gsr dash and cluster in my car and srs light doesnt work at all and my horn isnt working as well as the cruise and i tested the wires properly for continutiy and they didnt test right so im pretty sure i need to get this new peice so it will all work correctly

get an aftermarket wheel and wire up the horn and you will be good, ill do tthat is spring if i cant get teh part cheap. i never use cruise very often so its not a big deal
Old 11-20-2003, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ebpG2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">....my car has an srs light on for some reason </TD></TR></TABLE>
What code does it have stored? Knowing that just might help you figure out the problem.
Old 11-20-2003, 11:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Ricey McRicerton)

First of all check next to you steering column. There is a ribbon cable with yellow plugs. Follow it in both directions to see if it is damaged or unplugged. If it is not unplugged or damaged then take off your bag, and see if the connector is unplugged or damaged also! Be careful when taking off the bag though! And use the storage (red) plug properly!!!
Old 11-20-2003, 11:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (b20civicvtec)

I'm not sure what your refering to with the paper clip, but if your talking about making the horn work with the paper clip I may have a solution. Take a paper clip and bend it so that its touching both the bronze circle...thingy? on the hub. Then attach the steering wheel over it so that its grounded. To turn off the SRS light you have to connect or complete the circuirt from the yellow harness. You can either cut off the harness or use a wire to complete the circuit. I'm pretty sure its the one all the way to the left. Sorry but Im a bit rusty on doing this. I'm sure someone will remember and post.,
Old 11-21-2003, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jinya1004)

i may just take this to the dealership and let them **** with it...but have also thought of bringin it to a shop down the street....what would be the better option?the srs light doesnt bother me as much as my horn not working bc i need to get it inspected ASAP.....so if i have someone turn the srs light off...will that fix my horn problem as well?
Old 11-21-2003, 09:52 AM

Default Re: (ebpG2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ebpG2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i may just take this to the dealership and let them **** with it...but have also thought of bringin it to a shop down the street....what would be the better option?the srs light doesnt bother me as much as my horn not working bc i need to get it inspected ASAP.....so if i have someone turn the srs light off...will that fix my horn problem as well?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Dude it's your cable reel in your steering console, the thing that allows your wiring from wheel to dash spin when you spin the wheel , replace it... I have the same exact problem, SRS light on, Horn dosen't work and No cruise,Cruise for me is gone for a different reason.
Old 11-21-2003, 10:40 AM
Trial User

Default Re: (Grimm)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Grimm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Dude it's your cable reel in your steering console, the thing that allows your wiring from wheel to dash spin when you spin the wheel , replace it... I have the same exact problem, SRS light on, Horn dosen't work and No cruise,Cruise for me is gone for a different reason. </TD></TR></TABLE>

didnt i just tell everyone that in my post above??
Old 11-21-2003, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Hybrid95CivicEX)

i wouldnt worry about it d kris's has been on for like 3 years
Old 11-21-2003, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Hybrid95CivicEX)

how expensive is a cable reel? I called autozone and the guy said he's never heard of it...where should i look to get one? and is it somethin i could replace easily or should i have a shop/honda dealer do it? I might go get one from a junkyard....does anybody have a picture of it?is it the flat piece that looks like a belt in the console?