Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Painting the valve cover

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Painting the valve cover

Again, I would NOT use your kitchen oven, especially your moms. There are fumes and chemcials released during the curing process that can be very dangerous. Either buy a cheap electric oven off of craigslist (Ive seen them on there for $20-$40 all the time), just let it air dry or let it flash dry and run it on the engine to heat cure it like EFPhilly said. You could even use a toaster oven if you could find a big enough one or maybe a propane grill but it would be tough to control the temp properly. Seriosuly though, do not use your kitchen oven. Every paint and powdercoat company says not to use it for a reason. There are things that are not worth ingesting just to paint a valve cover. Your health is more valuable.

Just use sandpaper by hand to do the letters, to easy to make a mistake with power tools.

P.S. VHT does make an engine primer for high temp applications.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok ill check online for an oven. Will the paint still wrinkle if I just set it out to dry? I don't mind doing that. I just thought I needed some kind of high heat.

Yeah I already got the vht wrinkle paint.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TwoFaced
Dont use a wire wheel!

I made this mistake because I rarely work with aluminum...it will put deep *** scratches in it. Granted I realized quickly before I did any real damage...just sharing my stupidity to save others.
i was probably going to just stick with sanding by hand. What grit did you use?
Old 12-11-2010, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Could i use a blow dryer or a heat gun?
Old 12-11-2010, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Heat gun...be careful what temp its set on though.

I left one out to dry and it didn't cure for days...and then somebody ****ing bumped it and the paint moved.

I guess you could leave it out for a few days till its really dry to the touch...and then VERY CAREFULLY put it on the car...and drive around with it and engine temps will bake cure it? It sounds good in theory? If you don't have the plug seals in it yet though you will probably mess it up trying to push them in without completely cured paint.

If anyone has good experience without baking please share...I just have bad.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I guess airing it out would take too long. Anyone have any other ideas? I might have access to a heat gun.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

in the summer, maybe putting it in the home oven would work, but still probably not a good idea.

The grill is probably the best idea if you can't somehow find access to another oven.

You got that cover for a steal. Powdercoating isn't that expensive. Getting either one done would look better and last longer anyway. Powdercoating is beautiful. Anodizing is pretty awesome, but it's more expensive.

As for prep, the aerosol aircraft remover works awesome if you get the right brand. A few cycles of spraying and cleaning off gets it pretty good. Wash with soap and water, wipe with paint thinner to remove any oil or other junk and then paint or prime.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NotAJDMFanBoy
in the summer, maybe putting it in the home oven would work, but still probably not a good idea.

The grill is probably the best idea if you can't somehow find access to another oven.

You got that cover for a steal. Powdercoating isn't that expensive. Getting either one done would look better and last longer anyway. Powdercoating is beautiful. Anodizing is pretty awesome, but it's more expensive.

As for prep, the aerosol aircraft remover works awesome if you get the right brand. A few cycles of spraying and cleaning off gets it pretty good. Wash with soap and water, wipe with paint thinner to remove any oil or other junk and then paint or prime.
I think it would be tough to control the temp on a grill. no?

I know i got a deal. Wasn't going to spend more than 20. I got that tal strip II aircraft stripper.

I already bought all the supplies to do it myself. Plus, I want to actually do it and learn something. I'll go for powder coat another day. Appreciate it, though.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 88blkiroc
Either buy a cheap electric oven off of craigslist (Ive seen them on there for $20-$40 all the time), just let it air dry or let it flash dry and run it on the engine to heat cure it like EFPhilly said. You could even use a toaster oven if you could find a big enough one or maybe a propane grill but it would be tough to control the temp properly. .
been looking for an oven, but nothing comes up at that price that would fit the cover.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Again, I would NOT use your kitchen oven, especially your moms. There are fumes and chemcials released during the curing process that can be very dangerous.
Agreed.

My apologizes, as I know I said to use the kitchen oven, when I was merely referring to the fact that that type of oven can be used.

If your kitchen can be well ventilated then you might get away with it, but obviously it's always nice to be away from your house and loved ones when "deadly fumes" are mentioned.

Originally Posted by TwoFaced
I guess you could leave it out for a few days till its really dry to the touch...and then VERY CAREFULLY put it on the car...and drive around with it and engine temps will bake cure it? It sounds good in theory?
From the VHT site for their wrinkle coating:

Curing Wrinkle Plus

VHT Wrinkle Plus only attains its unique properties after correct curing.

* Bake at 200°F (93°C) for 20 minutes.
* The inherent heat of engine operation will also accomplish curing.

So I'd say you are correct sir. You could do it if you didn't want to bake.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah this is pretty disappointing. I don't have access to cure it on the car, nor do I want to stick it in the oven anymore. I'll try to find a way.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm thinking maybe a heat gun.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can send the cover off to be powder coated and they do a wrinkle red finish. Or just prime it and then give him the cover and paint and be like "hey, it has to cure on the motor and will be messed up unless sprayed and then put on right away".

Or uh, just paint it gloss red. The wrinkle black/red thing is kinda rediculous. I don't care if something like a valve cover looks stock. Being gloss instead of wrinkle looks better to me. Heck, maybe he'd want metallic green.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SeanK325
I'm thinking maybe a heat gun.
If you can get a heat gun regardless, it would do you good.

Take a look at this VHT forum post:

http://www.vhtpaint.com/forum/viewto...231ee9ae7f13b3
Old 12-12-2010, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Bwill9886
If you can get a heat gun regardless, it would do you good.

Take a look at this VHT forum post:

http://www.vhtpaint.com/forum/viewto...231ee9ae7f13b3
That's great. I'm going to do a little searchin on here.

Originally Posted by NotAJDMFanBoy
you can send the cover off to be powder coated and they do a wrinkle red finish. Or just prime it and then give him the cover and paint and be like "hey, it has to cure on the motor and will be messed up unless sprayed and then put on right away".

Or uh, just paint it gloss red. The wrinkle black/red thing is kinda rediculous. I don't care if something like a valve cover looks stock. Being gloss instead of wrinkle looks better to me. Heck, maybe he'd want metallic green.
It's for my kid bro who's always wanted a type r valve cover before he even got into the scene.

I don't want to take it anywhere to get it done. Is the wrinkle paint the only one that needs to be baked? I'm thinking maybe I'll just do a metallic engine enamel.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

has anyone tried to apply a clear coat over the wrinkle?
Old 12-13-2010, 11:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Unless the clear is designed for high heat, it will yellow and peel. Sounds like your only option is to find an oven. Maybe post on a local forum to you and see if anyone has a oven you can use?
Old 12-13-2010, 11:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Unless the clear is designed for high heat, it will yellow and peel. Sounds like your only option is to find an oven. Maybe post on a local forum to you and see if anyone has a oven you can use?
yeah i have a heat gun on me, but i don't know how long that would take. or if it would even come out right.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

your best bet is to find a shop with a hot tank im in a machine shop it works great. hot tank it for about an hour turning it every 15 minutes then pressure wash the inside to remove oil from the passages inside dry then paint with vht it will look nice i did the vht metallic gold it looks great along with the skunk2 intake manifold painted the same color.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just paint over the honda letters and the "H" then use a single edge razor blade and scrape the paint off, then use the sand paper to give it that nice finish.