Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

painting

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default painting

How many quarts of paint does it take to paint an EK sedan? Also, what is a really good site to buy paint from? I am looking at http://www.ppgcarpaint.com, they seem good. Thanks
Old 12-30-2006, 10:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: painting (schpiel)

I would say you would be safe with a gallon of paint and try sherwin williams auto paint we use it at the body shop I work for the **** just lays really nice and clean.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: painting (schpiel)

Depends on how many coats you want to put on.

1 quart = ~1-1.5 coats with thinner

Personal preference:
Lay 2-3 coats of color
Then lay 3-5 Coats of clear

Spray a light coat of color, let it get a slight tack to it, lay the 2nd coat. After the 2nd coat gets a slight tack to it put the 3rd on and clean your hvlp gun out real good and start mixing your clear.

Once the last coat of color gets a tack, start laying your clear the same way. It reduces orange peel, I'de also suggest fish eye remover in to the mix.

Here's my Sol I did last year:

Yup, Sherwin Williams paint
Old 12-30-2006, 11:27 PM

depends on the color and what color your are painting over or if you are painting over body work..
Old 12-30-2006, 11:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (gezzuzz)

$50 Paint Job

lol
Old 12-31-2006, 12:05 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: painting (TorturedSol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TorturedSol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Depends on how many coats you want to put on.

1 quart = ~1-1.5 coats with thinner

Personal preference:
Lay 2-3 coats of color
Then lay 3-5 Coats of clear

Spray a light coat of color, let it get a slight tack to it, lay the 2nd coat. After the 2nd coat gets a slight tack to it put the 3rd on and clean your hvlp gun out real good and start mixing your clear.

Once the last coat of color gets a tack, start laying your clear the same way. It reduces orange peel, I'de also suggest fish eye remover in to the mix.

Yup, Sherwin Williams paint </TD></TR></TABLE>

The way that paint looks you should not be explaining what you did to get there.
Looks like ***....Sorry.
Earl Schieb Holmes.

Whats he charging for paint jobs these days?

I used to work there back when a paint job was 89.00 any car.
Red and Black was a little higher than other colors.

Dupont Chroma base is an easy paint to use. I have won several shows using dupont 99k black.

Hot Hues is another as well as House of Kolor.....That car......Looks like house of Krylon.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:08 AM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: painting (TorturedSol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TorturedSol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
http://i31.photobucket.com/alb...7.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/alb...8.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/alb...5.jpg

Yup, Sherwin Williams paint </TD></TR></TABLE>

Dude, that looks horrible. I mean, I can't really compare my $15 paint job to that, but I can see where you went thin on some spots and the primer's showing through.
The body work looks horrible. You can really tell on the hood. Looks like the cast of "Riverdance" had a few practice sessions on it.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: painting (IslandSi)

ewww to the sol!! sorry yo
Old 12-31-2006, 07:22 AM

Default Re: painting (jdmjaser)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmjaser &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ewww to the sol!! sorry yo</TD></TR></TABLE>
x2
Old 12-31-2006, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hmm, layered metallics.... The facts the pics were taken on a cloudy day and the 1.3 MP camera didn't help much there.

Sorry if you guys don't like it... It wasn't bad for my first paintjob so no hard feelings if not everyone likes it .

Earl Schieb jobs last an average of a year or so from past exp. A Maaco job I think is warrentied for 3-4 years depending on the package and looks decent for the price.

If you just want color on your car do the DIY $50 job, cheap and it works
Old 12-31-2006, 10:05 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (TorturedSol)

Yeah, that Del Sol's terrible quality has nothing to do with the metallic in the paint and everything to do with the noob behind the gun. I just finished painting my dad's GSR last night with him and I can guarantee none of it looks like that
Old 12-31-2006, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Archidictus)

Gotta start somewhere... Still tryin to figure out where someone said there's primer showing through.... oh well, like I said, no hard feelings lol
Old 12-31-2006, 12:03 PM

Default Re: (TorturedSol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TorturedSol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Gotta start somewhere... Still tryin to figure out where someone said there's primer showing through.... oh well, like I said, no hard feelings lol</TD></TR></TABLE>
I think they are referring to the zebra stripes on the hood. Did you paint the hood on the car, because that can affect how the metallics align themselves. If it is standing up as opposed to laying flat the metallics have a chance to kind of melt together instead of causing striping.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you everyone for your replies. To clear things up, I was only asking for answers to the questions I asked. I am prolly gonna buy a gallon just to be safe. As far as the painting process goes, I am a complete noob, and am using my car, and a friend of my fathers, who has experience in painting cars, as my guide to learning to paint. Thanks again!
Old 12-31-2006, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sniggler316)

Yea I did some research after the fact on the zebra stripe thing. It was cause from the HVLP gun being held at an odd angle. The car is getting stripped in the spring and I'm re-doing it

To the quanity question, As I said 1 quart does 1-1.5 coats with thinner and everything. The whole car 2-3 coats needs a half gallon of paint/clear.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:53 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: (sniggler316)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sniggler316 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I think they are referring to the zebra stripes on the hood. Did you paint the hood on the car, because that can affect how the metallics align themselves. If it is standing up as opposed to laying flat the metallics have a chance to kind of melt together instead of causing striping.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You get striping from not holding the spray gun perpendicular to the piece you're painting.

If you hit the piece perfectly perpendicular you'll have even coverage and it SHOULD look even.

If you have the gun at an angle, you'll get more paint where the spray pattern is closer to the piece. This in turn comes out looking like stripes.

From the looks of it, the guy with the Sol painted the hood on the car, stood to one side or another (by the fender, and shot the hood that way. The gun was probably angled so that the handle was tilted towards the hood, giving him those bad *** stripes.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys are being hard on a do it yourselfer. I give him a tome of credit to try out painting his sol. For just the cost of supplies, it looks fine. Get your heads out of your asses. A good paint job starts $1500.
Good for you tackling your paint job, oh well if its not 100% its a 14 year old car. YOU DID WELL.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Actually im still kinda pissed. I am too a do it yourself painter and ive done about 10 cars. Im not great but hell its cheap. Other than a little dust my jobs turn out fine.
Here is a Mazda I did last spring.
It was dented everywhere, rust around wheel wells and door bottoms. Took one full day, thats including body work and welding. turned out fine for a car I paid $300 for.
a href="http://photobucket.com/" target="_blank"&gt;&lt;/a&gt;
Old 01-01-2007, 05:55 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: (s_vares)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by s_vares &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You guys are being hard on a do it yourselfer. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'll give him some credit, but I'm also pointing out that his technique is flawed and it really shows in the end result.
Unless you have a good technique that turns out good looking results every time you shouldn't be handing out advice to other novices or first timers.

That being said here's what $15 got me.

Before:
(don't mind the treadmill in the back, but these are the only "before" pics I have of the car

After:
$15 for a gallon of Rustoleum Heavy Duty paint. ****'s hard as nails now.

As you can see, I didn't give a damn about body work and every little ding and dent is showing. I DON'T CARE. This is my beater. I use this to practive my technique for when I have to paint my EM1's bumpers that you can see in the background. Also, I left the paint kind of thick so it would give the car a textured look. I like it.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i think its funny that you and theat red car call the blue sol guys terrible. but whatever i guess
Old 01-02-2007, 11:07 AM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: (s_vares)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by s_vares &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i think its funny that you and theat red car call the blue sol guys terrible. but whatever i guess</TD></TR></TABLE>

I also never said my car was good. But I don't have any tiger stripes because I knew better. I have a decent technique.
Trust me, if I wanted to I could have made my beater shine like no other with a base and clear coat combo, but like I said, IT'S A BEATER!!!!