Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Paint and Powdercoating

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2002, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint and Powdercoating

Ok, I really need your help guys. I powdercoated my 01 GSRs flat black a while back but that has grown old and I now want them another color.

Obvoiusly, I would rather spend my money on engine mods than $120 on re-powdercoating them. If I were to paint them and give them a bunch of good caots, would that be good enough. I am wondering this because I also want to be able to use thinner or something on the paint and not destroy the wheel or powdercoat. Is this possible? Could I theoretically just paint them and put the color back to black easily if I wanted to? Anyone a powdercoat guru that would know bout what can damage them? Please help, anyhelp would be very appreciated!!! Thanks in advance.
Old 03-20-2002, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Paint and Powdercoating (JRTurbo909)

Well...I can tell you this right now from personal experience...powdercoating is about as good as paint. I had some K1s podercoated flat black and they chipped just like paint. And yes, they WERE powder coated. One difference though, the place did NOT sand blast the rims first.

I would think that a paint thinner WOULD strip away the powdercaoting...not sure though.

-ryan
Old 03-20-2002, 05:14 PM

Default Re: Paint and Powdercoating (riot)

I have noticed that they do chip. If you see on the pic, the part of the wheel closest to the sidemarker is a chip. I just thought that maybe it was stronger. I'll probably still try on a spot no one sees but I was wondering if anyone already knew the effects of thinner on powdercoat.
Old 03-20-2002, 05:37 PM
garagespecial

get um coated RED
Old 03-20-2002, 05:38 PM
New User

Default Re: Paint and Powdercoating (riot)

Well...I can tell you this right now from personal experience...powdercoating is about as good as paint. I had some K1s podercoated flat black and they chipped just like paint. And yes, they WERE powder coated. One difference though, the place did NOT sand blast the rims first.

I would think that a paint thinner WOULD strip away the powdercaoting...not sure though.

-ryan

You should never sandblast cast aluminum wheels, it will pit them. You should only blast them with walnut shells or a softer less harsh base.
Old 03-20-2002, 06:27 PM

Default Re: Paint and Powdercoating (slowerthanu)

Well, I dont want red, but the reason I want paint is so I can mix it custom. I cant really explain the color but something based on bronze and gunmetal or maybe an dark olive greenish thing. I am not gonna make it look fruity or stupid though. So no one really knows how durable the powdercoating is in general?
Old 03-20-2002, 06:47 PM

i jsut painted my wheels..i sanded them down, primered them and hit them with like 10 coats of gloss black and clear and they look great...the best part was it only cost me 15 bux
Old 03-20-2002, 06:50 PM
JV
Who?

Default Re: Paint and Powdercoating (garagespecial)

get um coated RED
Here we go........ Stupper Street infecting H-T now...........
Old 03-20-2002, 06:54 PM
JV
Who?

Are those Spoon calipers????? Or just painted.........
Old 03-20-2002, 06:55 PM

Default Re: Paint and Powdercoating (JV)

Do you guys think that the wheels would look better with flat paint versus gloss paint? I just dont want it to turn out all bling-blingy. Do you usually clearcoat them too? Is there flat clear coat that is available? I dont really want gloss.
Old 03-20-2002, 07:01 PM

Default Re: Paint and Powdercoating (JV)

Those were painted. Way back when I first got the car. When it had a white and blue interior and indiglos and **** like that. I actually dont mind it but probably wouldnt do it again. Just waiting til I can get all the parts for my custom brake set-up!!!!!!! When it all comes through, ill post the details on h-t.

Heres the interior now. Way cleaner and Much better. Back to stock with a twist.

Old 03-20-2002, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Powdercoating is very durable if done correctly and shouldn't chip or peel. The wheel needs to be stripped to bare metal, then powdercoated and baked. If your wheels were done this way, then you should be able to paint them with a spray enamel with no problem. You could then later use some paint thinner to remove the paint and it should not affect the powdercoating. Like I said, this is only if the wheels were done the proper way. To get the powdercoating off, you either need to bead blast it or use a very strong industrial strength paint stripper.
Old 03-20-2002, 08:43 PM

Default Re: Paint and Powdercoating (VTECVillain)

Powdercoating is very durable if done correctly and shouldn't chip or peel. The wheel needs to be stripped to bare metal, then powdercoated and baked. If your wheels were done this way, then you should be able to paint them with a spray enamel with no problem. You could then later use some paint thinner to remove the paint and it should not affect the powdercoating. Like I said, this is only if the wheels were done the proper way. To get the powdercoating off, you either need to bead blast it or use a very strong industrial strength paint stripper.

Thanks!!!! That is exactly what I wanted. Looks like Im painting my wheels next week!!!!!
Old 03-22-2002, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have stuff at work called peal away. It is a paint remover. It is a paste. You apply it to the paint and walk away. You then peal the dried paste off and the paint comes off with it.

You could try that to remove the powdercoating.
Old 03-22-2002, 06:14 PM
namechangeagain

Default Re: Paint and Powdercoating (StanBo)

thats horrible to do to those gsr wheels
Old 03-22-2002, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Paint and Powdercoating (zerogravity)

thats horrible to do to those gsr wheels
that painting and nasty gauges are horrible to...
Old 03-22-2002, 07:25 PM
New User

Default Re: Paint and Powdercoating (madeinjapan)

thats horrible to do to those gsr wheels that painting and nasty gauges are horrible to...

He didnt ask for your opinion on his car, I think your moms ugly, but if YOU like her, thats all that counts.
Old 03-22-2002, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i had my rims painted bronze and it did alright, until the car wash guy hit a curb.

after the wheels were damaged i used aircraft stripper to get the paint off. it worked really good, the stuff is strong. its a spray that u can get at autozone or somewhere like that.
Old 03-23-2002, 12:11 AM

thats horrible to do to those gsr wheels that painting and nasty gauges are horrible to...

He didnt ask for your opinion on his car, I think your moms ugly, but if YOU like her, thats all that counts.

Well, since YOU two guys dont like the way I fix MY car, I should probably change it then. Please only post you opinions on my wheels when I start a post asking what your opinions were. Ingorance always amuses me. Thank you slowerthanu for showing some maturity on this post. IF I wanted to powdercoat my GSR's purple, and I like it that way, then it doesnt matter what YOU or ANYONE else thinks about it. Hence it being MY car.
Old 03-23-2002, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey rookie2nr...what kind of rims are those??? Also what kind of paint did you use?
Old 03-23-2002, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Paint and Powdercoating (Ricey McRicerton)

well, the wheels are konig rated r's. the paint is MAE chesnut metallic. its sort of a weird color, but i liked them.
Old 03-23-2002, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Paint and Powdercoating (rookie2nr)

I like GSR rims in black - looks nice.

I think you could have them sanded, if they chipped then they can be sanded most likely.

Another idea is a bit more...err..indirect. Sell your alloys to someone (u know, the whole craze for black rims nowadays ) and then buy a set of silver ones off of someone and start from scratch.