Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Paint my Radiator ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint my Radiator ???

I know this must sounds really stupid. but is it alright if I paint my rad ?
I just got my car repainted and there's a bit of over spray on my new del sol dual core rad.
and it's red, looks like ****
I have spare metallic caliper paint that I though I could use to make it look new again. my calipers look new.

oh and ps, I have no money
I'm putting in my new b18b1, that's why I took out my rad.
and I'm talking about thin lairs here, thin !

Modified by Daniel san at 12:43 PM 5/24/2005
Old 05-23-2005, 11:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Paint my Radiator ??? (Daniel san)

if you do it make sure to use high temp paint

it may affect the cooling by a little but nothing noticable unless its super duper thick
Old 05-23-2005, 11:14 PM

save your money and go alum. or go home jk
Old 05-23-2005, 11:39 PM

Default Re: (hatchish)

Do it. Do it like it's wrong. j/k

Did you try some paint thinner to remove the over spray?
Old 05-23-2005, 11:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (9_of_10)

aircraft stripper should do it
Old 05-24-2005, 12:44 AM

Painting or stripping it would be fine.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:37 AM

if you paint the radiator, doesn't that effect the cooling?
Old 05-24-2005, 01:44 AM

Default Re: (ekboosting)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ekboosting &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you paint the radiator, doesn't that effect the cooling? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, since replacement remanufactured rads come painted... I'm gonna say no.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (ekboosting)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ekboosting &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you paint the radiator, doesn't that effect the cooling?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I suspect it depends on how thick the layer of paint is. If it's thick enough, it can act as an insulator, plus the the paint makes the air passages even smaller.

But if it's a thin enough coat, it's not enough of either to matter.
Old 05-24-2005, 05:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CycloneBlue_1.6EL)

Normal paint is said to be too thick too thick for a radiator. Go to http://www.eastwoodco.com and search radiator paint. They have gloss and a satin versions.

Radiator Black 12 oz Satin Finish

Radiator Black Satin - Many have asked for a lower sheen radiator black. The lower satin sheen resembles the gloss level of modern plastic tank radiators and some imports.Standard engine paints are too thick for radiator use because they can interfere with heat transfer and block air flow between the cooling fins. Also, standard paint tends to flake off radiator tanks. Radiator Black helps solve this problem. Durable Enamel formulation resists temperatures up to 250 degrees F, gas and chipping. One can covers 6 square feet most radiators require 2 cans. Net wt. 12 oz.

Part #10340 Z Radiator Black 12 oz Satin Finish $10.99
Old 05-24-2005, 05:58 AM

Default Re: (hatchish)

tRUE, GO ALUMINUM....
Old 05-24-2005, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SHAVD99CIVIC)

I would paint the rest, but not the fins. Or use some of that special paint in one of the previous posts.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:12 AM

Default Re: (dwnthehatch) Eastwood paint

This is good stuff......figure an additional $8. for shipping...ouch...but it's worth it. There is no reason not to paint the whole thing if you prep it right.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:15 AM
Electrician

Aircraft strip it. Be done with it.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:18 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (dwnthehatch) Eastwood paint

Yeah, that's what I was thinking...normal paint is too thick. But say you would paint it really really lightly (Like hold the can 12" away, just to get the mistic effect)...then maybe that may work? Who knows
Old 05-24-2005, 08:49 AM

Default Re: (dwnthehatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dwnthehatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Normal paint is said to be too thick too thick for a radiator. Go to http://www.eastwoodco.com and search radiator paint. They have gloss and a satin versions.

Radiator Black Satin - Many have asked for a lower sheen radiator black. The lower satin sheen resembles the gloss level of modern plastic tank radiators and some imports.Standard engine paints are too thick for radiator use because they can interfere with heat transfer and block air flow between the cooling fins. Also, standard paint tends to flake off radiator tanks. Radiator Black helps solve this problem. Durable Enamel formulation resists temperatures up to 250 degrees F, gas and chipping. One can covers 6 square feet most radiators require 2 cans. Net wt. 12 oz.

Part #10340 Z Radiator Black 12 oz Satin Finish $10.99
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh yeah very good stuff, that is what I would do. I love Eastwood they have some nice products.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:29 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (haccord2.2)

dude, radiators use the laws of physics man. Look, its surface area. And the more surface area, the more air gets across it, right? Then its specific heat. How much heat can you dissapate per surface area. If you put paint over it, like high temp paint, this will not conduct heat as well, keeping the heat in the radiator metal, insted of bringing it to the surface of the metal. This allows heat to dissapate, and aluminum radiators are better because of the material, it conducts heat better. Hell, go with a solid copper one of you want, hehe.

Don't paint it.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:32 AM
As long as I dont have to take out any more Metal Gears

Default Re: (Redline96LX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Redline96LX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dude, radiators use the laws of physics man. Look, its surface area. And the more surface area, the more air gets across it, right? Then its specific heat. How much heat can you dissapate per surface area. If you put paint over it, like high temp paint, this will not conduct heat as well, keeping the heat in the radiator metal, insted of bringing it to the surface of the metal. This allows heat to dissapate, and aluminum radiators are better because of the material, it conducts heat better. Hell, go with a solid copper one of you want, hehe.

Don't paint it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Listen to the physicist here^^^, seriously, dont paint it, and who the hell is going to see it anyways?
Old 05-25-2005, 01:13 AM

Default Re: (Dimitri_EG8 a.k.a. Dimi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dimitri_EG8 a.k.a. Dimi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Aircraft strip it. Be done with it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree completly.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Redline96LX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dude, radiators use the laws of physics man. Look, its surface area. And the more surface area, the more air gets across it, right? Then its specific heat. How much heat can you dissapate per surface area. If you put paint over it, like high temp paint, this will not conduct heat as well, keeping the heat in the radiator metal, insted of bringing it to the surface of the metal. This allows heat to dissapate, and aluminum radiators are better because of the material, it conducts heat better. Hell, go with a solid copper one of you want, hehe.

Don't paint it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Uh. That would be thermodynamics and Heat Transfer not physics.
The wrong type of Paint will significantly lower the convection and radiation coefficients of the radiator thus hurting its heat transferring ability.
Aluminum is NOT better then Copper. Copper actually has a higher heat transfer coefficient and was easy to work with thus why it was originally used for radiators, and there wasnt a good process to extract aluminum yet from ore. Why is aluminum used then today? Its cheaper and more durable then copper but still has a good heat transfer coefficient.

Dont make me break out the Heat Transfer book.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:59 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (Djaric)

I was simplifying, but you understand. Yes, its heat transfer. Copper is no where near cost effective on a car radiator, but you can tell that new computers run hotter, they are using all copper heatsinks for the CPU.

Water cooling 101:

Engine generates heat. Heat travels through the block to a water jacket, a space filled with coolant. Coolant is half antifreeze and half water, because water has a high "specific heat" meaning it takes a lot of energy (heat) to raise it one degree.
Because water can hold so much heat, the coolant runs across the aluminum surface transfering the heat into the water. The water is carried to the radiator. Again, heat transfers, but from the water into the metal of the radiator. If the radiator were aluminum, since it has a higher specific heat than say iron, it will recieve the heat "faster" meaning itll get hotter faster. This heat in the radiator gets air blown over it, and the heat goes into the flowing air. The more surface area the radiator has, the faster the air can cool it.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

a.k.a. strip it!!
Old 05-31-2005, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (alleyezonme)

to the physicists out there but u gotta put the "good look" factor into there too, therefore i'd go with the radiator paint which lowers's the material's heat transf. coefficient by a small bit, yet adds a high "clean looks" coefficient. ups
to u guys, i'm a mech engineer so function is top but looks matter too. go for it and paint your radiator guy! but use the right stuff.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:32 PM
Multi-paradigm

Default Re: (Dimitri_EG8 a.k.a. Dimi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dimitri_EG8 a.k.a. Dimi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Aircraft strip it. Be done with it.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 05-31-2005, 08:50 PM

strip it...i'd stay away from painting it...stripping should cost just about as much as painting it....

Quick Reply: Paint my Radiator ???