Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Pads wore unevenly...

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pads wore unevenly...

Guys,
My EG CX Hatch (bone stock) has been vibrating a bit lately (especially when slowing down) so yesterday I pulled the front pads to take a look.

There's still a lot of meat left and the disks look good and smooth (changed pads and disks less than 20k miles ago, I never brake hard).

What I DID notice is that the pads are wearing unevenly, meaning that one side is lower than the other. Would you know why did this happen? I suppose this is the cause of the vibration.

I already bought new EBC Street replacement pads and have a machine shop that can turn my rotors, but I am wondering what caused the pads to wear like that before installing the new stuff.

Thanks!

-Walter
Old 10-16-2008, 08:46 AM

There is a good chance that the sliders on the caliper is stuck or rusted. You have to pull off the caliper and check them, they should move freely. If they do not, you have to try and free them up or purchase a new caliper.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hondahead207)

go to the brake section of the forum and pm BrakeExpert. he is of great help considering his name
Old 10-16-2008, 09:09 AM

Default Re: (hondahead207)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondahead207 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There is a good chance that the sliders on the caliper is stuck or rusted. You have to pull off the caliper and check them, they should move freely. If they do not, you have to try and free them up or purchase a new caliper.</TD></TR></TABLE>

that is the most likely problem, but one time I had uneven wear on my pads and the pins in the calipers were fine, what had happened was a build up of rust on the hub causing the rotor to wobble while rotating so I cleaned of the hug got some new rotors and pads and haven't had a problem since then. good luck
Old 10-16-2008, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it is either what everone else said or you have warped rotors just what it sounds like to me anyway
Old 10-16-2008, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the replies guys.

I hope we aren't dealing with warped rotors because they are practically new and I've been very easy on the car.

I will check the sliders. Would it be a good idea to remove them (they are the clips on the edges of the pad, right?), clean them with a metal brush, clean the sockets where they sit, spray with WD40 and put everything back?

Thanks,

-Walter
Old 10-16-2008, 02:31 PM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: (DSMAddicted)

This is worth reading regarding warped rotors:

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_i...shtml

I am still on the fence believing if it is a myth or not...
Old 10-16-2008, 02:57 PM
HT White Ops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Pads wore unevenly... (DSMAddicted)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DSMAddicted &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am wondering what caused the pads to wear like that before installing the new stuff...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Do you burn your pads in???

I *think* this offers us a clue!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DSMAddicted &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I never brake hard...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dude, when I install new pads, I burn them HARD - get 'em smoking like a barbecue!

Read n' heed! http://www.hawkperformance.com...h.php

I do 10-20 stops from 60 mph...

Like 'they' said above, make sure you lube your slides with 'brake grease' - and reapply it when it starts drying out.

This is what I use: http://www.permatex.com/produc...e.htm