Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

PA TITLE ISSUE : Mileage -- Help Me Out

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Icon3 PA TITLE ISSUE : Mileage -- Help Me Out

2000 Civic Hatch DX

Car was bought from the original owner in NH from the shop "Trick Engineering".

He ordered a duplicate title in 2006 50,950 Miles...
Then my best friend bought the car from them in 2007, but when he did the title work he filled the mileage out incorrectly and put 177,795 miles...

This car was the original owner daily for the original couple thousand miles, then since it was a shop... they made it their "track" car and the car was making 600whp+.

Car never had miles put on it, and certainly not no 127,xxx in under 1 year lol. It was a simple mistake of not having the original cluster in (doesnt have RPM) when they sold it and my buddy giving them the incorrect mileage.

Anyways... I am purchasing the shell from my buddy and i would like to fix the mileage back down to where is should be... He never even noticed the mistake until i asked him the mileage on title.

The car is 2 owner, no accidents, no discrepancies... I will be the third owner, and the car has been sitting since my buddy bought it. I think he drove it for 1 year, and put like 50 miles on it, and then the car broke and it sat for the last 3 years ish.

It's a fantastic legit, low mileage 2000 civic, and i DO NOT want to ruin the car because of a foolish mistake...

Anyone know how or what i can/have to do in order to get the mileage back down to where it should be WITHOUT having a "mistake/error" show up in a car fax?

"ODOMETER CHECK"
0 Problem(s) Reported: Mileage Date Reported
49 12/17/1999
50,950 09/08/2006
177,795 01/16/2007

11/30/1999 GROVELAND, MA
Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL

12/17/1999 GROVELAND, MA
49 Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title #:AT0784712)

11/01/2001 GROVELAND, MA

08/12/2003 SALEM, NH

09/08/2006 SALEM, NH
50,950 Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title #:10715647) DUPLICATE TITLE

01/16/2007 BETHLEHEM, PA
177,795 Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title #:64258072)

02/13/2007 BETHLEHEM, PA

11/07/2007 BETHLEHEM, PA

10/06/2008 BETHLEHEM, PA

01/13/2010 BETHLEHEM, PA Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL

01/06/2011 BETHLEHEM, PA
Old 02-21-2012, 02:13 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: PA TITLE ISSUE : Mileage -- Help Me Out

Why are you NOT calling and asking PA DMV?
Old 02-21-2012, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

This is not tech, so I suggest you post this in the Value sticky at the top.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:47 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Ron PMed me about this thread, I'm going to reopen it until tomorrow, after that it's getting locked again. I expect the OP to report back with his DMV findings though in case this answers someone's question in the future. For what it's worth I don't think you're going to be able to get this sorted out without having the title say something to the effect of "actual mileage unknown"
Old 02-21-2012, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you could always just put the mileage on it, and if someone asks why it says 'odometer roll back' you could explain the situation
Old 02-21-2012, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by deving916
you could always just put the mileage on it, and if someone asks why it says 'odometer roll back' you could explain the situation
--- That will be the last resort, but i am trying to be as legit as possible... This car is honestly stupid rare to find in this condition and with this mileage. Really not trying to ruin the car at all cost

Originally Posted by 94EG8
Ron PMed me about this thread, I'm going to reopen it until tomorrow, after that it's getting locked again. I expect the OP to report back with his DMV findings though in case this answers someone's question in the future. For what it's worth I don't think you're going to be able to get this sorted out without having the title say something to the effect of "actual mileage unknown"
--- Thank you very much. I spoke to a local "to the book" notary today... And they said it's as simple as a affidavit, with the current owner saying he messed up this and it should be this, and then sending in for a new title with everything notarized... then new title has new mileage and then do the title transfer to me.

That just seems all too simple considering its the goverment lol.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:31 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Of course the paperwork will be simple, but if you have a period out of place, be ready to do it all over again with full explanation of why that period was where it didn't belong, then wait 3 to 6 weeks for processing, which will take more like 3 to 6 months.

The paperwork is the easy part. It's the stuff that happens after that the government is so well known for!
Old 02-22-2012, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay, after speaking with PennDot for a very long time...

There are 2 main viable options...

Website and Print out the FORM MV41

Required For Completion:
$22.50
Current Title

Option 1:
2 Previous Inspection Records Closest To Date Of Purchase (This will not work for me, since it is/was a track car and no "legit" inspections were done.

Option 2:
Previous Owner (1st Owner In My Case) Affidavit - Stating About Situation
Current Owner Affidavit - Stating About Situation

Inspection Mechanic Affidavit - Stating About Situation
(THESE OPTIONS MAY BE EITHER OR)
Repair Bill Within a 6 Month Period Of Title Transfer (2007 Feb 13th My Case)

Original Owner was Trick Engineering - Jeff
https://honda-tech.com/forums/members/trickeng-999324131/

I messaged him on here and on facebook... so hopefully i can speak to him and ill be golden.

Option 3 (DO NOT WANT)
Affidavit from current owner saying he messed up mileage, and then correct mileage put down, and then title branded (NOT ACTUAL). This is a last resort.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:19 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Thank you for updating OP If you get any more info, or your have the title altered to reflect the correct mileage please PM me and I'll reopen this so you can explain the process.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
Thank you for updating OP If you get any more info, or your have the title altered to reflect the correct mileage please PM me and I'll reopen this so you can explain the process.
--- So here is the update... I got the new title with the corrected mileage with it still being branded "0" for Actual.

After i sent in the affidavit from the original owner, and 2nd owner (my friend), along with 2 service vehicle records with mileage stated (or inspection records - i chose service records).

The notary sent out a messenger service every Friday directly to Harrisburg.
Sent out the above paper work.
Got kicked back 1.5 weeks later (received the kickback notice on Wednesday)

They kicked back the paperwork, asking for 2 more service records.

So i gave 2 more service records to the notary and they sent out on Friday.
Got kicked back 1.5 weeks later again (Received the kickback on Wednesday)

They kicked back this paperwork, asking for 2 inspection records...

This is what i was trying to avoid. Since the car was never street driven, i never had inspections done to the car... I believe the 1 time i did have it "exempt" inspected/emissions... It was to a shop that is now out of business after the economy took a dump.

So i asked the notary for advice, and they suggested i write up an explanation of my situation... She told me that penndot can NOT look into the previous state of ownership, so all they are seeing is the car was brought into PA with 177,xxx.

So i went on ebay, and posted the car up for sale in the local marketplace... This cost no money and provides a free car fax :D I then printed up the car fax and highlighted the discrepancies of where the car went from 55k to 177k+ in less then 6 months time.

This enabled whomever was doing the paperwork in penndot to have some solid evidence that i wasn't trying to pull a fast one. I also copied some of this carfax and used the info in my explanation along with a start to end of ownership and why the car has had no miles put on it, and why there has been no registration or insurance on it.

Handed that all to the notary, and sent it out on friday...

I didn't get anything back 1.5 weeks later like i was before when they rejected...
At the 2 week mark, i called the notary and they said they have heard nothing as of yet, but they will be in touch with me if they have anything come in...
I then waited another week... I decided to call my buddy up and ask him if he had anything come in the mail from penndot.

He says, "Yeah, your title came in the mail today. I opened it, and it has the original 50,950 mileage on the title and its still marked actual. I didn't want to tell you i got it in the mail though, because i know you would want to do the title work right away."

I replied, "Well thats fantastic that it all went through. I was just about to give up on this thing. You could have done me a solid just to call and tell me. I was quite anxious for this damned title."

So next day we did the transfer, and i put the updated mileage on it, and its all good to go now.

I am on my laptop at the moment, but when i go on my computer... I will post up the seller affidavit and the buyers affidavit i made, along with some of my other paperwork i had sent in to get this all done.

All in all... This took about 3-4 months, and wasn't really a hassle paperwork wise. Just the time it takes for it all to happen. It was certainly worth it though. I now have a 00 civic hatch, clean title, with actual 51,xxx mileage on it.

If something isn't clear or i missed something... Feel free to ask question's and i will answer them to the best of my ability and from my experience.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:50 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mfoehrkolb
All in all... This took about 3-4 months, and wasn't really a hassle paperwork wise. Just the time it takes for it all to happen. It was certainly worth it though. I now have a 00 civic hatch, clean title, with actual 51,xxx mileage on it.
Glad you got it all sorted out. Like I said, the paperwork is easy - it's the waiting for the government to un**** itself that's the hard part
Old 06-11-2012, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep I kinda got a problem too lol. Bought my sol at a police auction and they called it a prelude..... I did the tittle work without letting them know I found out the state messed up so I hope they see their mistake and brand it as a sol.... The vin clearly indicates its a sol so....