Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

P28 SMOKING! PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P28 SMOKING! PLEASE HELP!

installed my p28 and chipped it in my garage a while back, skip to yesterday everything is buttoned up
im taking power from the cigarette lighter for boost/oil gauges, grounded onto bare metal. the wideband got its power from the ecu (and since it im going to datalog it just made sence.) the gm 3bar is in conjunction with the current MAP and is spliced in not replaced. and im powering the boost controller through the dimmer switch, and i dont think it was a bad idea. ive read about it working fine but anything is suspect here .
so when we tried to start the civic we turned the key, then to on. after a few seconds solid CEL...expletive.
-possible problems
*poor wiring.
*poor soldering
*incorrect ground/relay
* (i had about 3 different kinds of wire one was pretty large too much power?)
but maybe its the Ostritch i got from MOATES it went bad on my friends Si and he had 2 P28s with his ostrich handy. (he came prepared lol) so we swapped out my ostritch with his and the CEL went away (bad ostritch GREEAT) we turned off the car and just to make sure it want my soldering we put his p28 in and set it to on. no CEL, but the ecu was SMOKING! shut the car off and slapped in my p28 to we wouldnt break his. attemped the same thing with my ECU and sure enough after the key was rocked to ON it would just heat up

^^this is the problem^^
i figured it had to be something wired into my ECU possibly one of the larger gauge wires, so i disconnected the wideband (only thing wired into the ecu) and retured the 3 harness clips to stock.
rocked the key...SMOKE.
took out the dash. disconnected the wideband, gauges, and boost controller solderd up all the connections to stock...rocked the key. SMOKE
any help as to what might cause this?? all of the people i know say its wired up correct and ive checked the manual HT for everypinout i can find and they all thell me im right... WTF??!
PLEASE HELP ANY IMPUT IS ****** GOLD TO ME
and my friend"hot wired" it to see if it was maybe the starter...nope cranked.

S.O.S.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:46 PM

Default Re: P28 SMOKING! PLEASE HELP!

My b16 eg hatch is doing this exact same ****,only with the p28s,also burnt my p72 up and runs fine w/p75 socketed non vtec.............wtf as soon as my fuel pump kicks on,
smoke rolls from a resistor by where your harness plugs in.I bought another virgin p28 the other night and smoked it instantly,but the car still ran fine with a chard resistor......
Any Input will be most apreciated,thanks in advance.........
Old 11-05-2009, 03:22 PM

Old 11-05-2009, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by cam head
My b16 eg hatch is doing this exact same ****,only with the p28s,also burnt my p72 up and runs fine w/p75 socketed non vtec.............wtf as soon as my fuel pump kicks on,
smoke rolls from a resistor by where your harness plugs in.I bought another virgin p28 the other night and smoked it instantly,but the car still ran fine with a chard resistor......
Any Input will be most apreciated,thanks in advance.........
do u get any codes wit the p75???