Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

NEED HELP ONCE AGAIN.....LONG STORY

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP ONCE AGAIN.....LONG STORY

OK..I have a 97 hb and it has been issue after issue. First off the lights were blinking so bad while i was driving that it looked as if all of my lights were blinkers. Kinda freaky...I had the same issue with another car a long time ago and it was the alternator, so just to double check i took it up to autozone and had it tested and it was bad. So i replaced it with a used one that ended up being bad as well, but while it was hooked up the lights didn't do it...NEVER...So i went out and bought a BRAND NEW ONE, and now the lights still do it. And here is were it gets freaky. If i start the car the lights do not blink/flicker they just stay as normal. If i hit the throttle and the car idles back down it starts doing it. But it does it as if the motor is loping, like its not just the lights its the heater motor the engine all doing it at the same time. But if i hold the throttle above 2k rpms it doesn't do it. As soon as i let off it does it. So basically if it falls below 2k rpms it does it. Yes im throwing a CEL its for the 2nd O2 sensor and that's it. And for some reason as soon as i hit the throttle im popping the # 15 fuse (speedo) and its just going across the boards and going crazy. So needless to say i have no idea were to start. Im having my father get a copy of the schematic for all the wiring in the car and we start there.

Has anyone else ever had this issue. It only does the light thing and pops the fuse as soon as i hit the gas. Now if i ease into the gas and creep along it won't pop the fuse. It sounds like an open circuit, on maybe the TPS sensor or something. Any other idea's. Or am i stuck playing hiden-go-seek with the cars wiring?

Any help would be great, sorry its so long but the better the description the better the advice people can give. Thanks alot guys.

-Andru
Old 03-20-2006, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

BUMP IT UP

My car makes me feel like im at a rave....
Old 03-20-2006, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Have you recently added any electronics to your car? (ALARM or Stereo)

Do you have a voltage meter? If not, get one, you'll need it to figure this one out.

The first thing I would do after getting the voltage meter is to remove every fuse from the block (that is the ones that aren't required to make the car run) and go from there to see if your voltage fluctuates from there. You *should* find that your voltage hovers around 13.5 volts. Now, chances are you already know where your problem is, it's probably whatever is hanging off of that fuse that keeps blowing; your speedo fuse. But just to be safe you'll want to try all of the other fuses by plugging them in one at a time and seeing if it happens again.
If it doesn't then I would investigate your gauge cluster and look to make sure a screw or something isn't dancing around your circuit boards or something like that. If you don't see anything there and you have ruled out anything else that is protected by that 15 amp fuse, I would get another gauge cluster from a junkyard and see if you still have the same issue.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (scuzz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by scuzz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Have you recently added any electronics to your car? (ALARM or Stereo)

Do you have a voltage meter? If not, get one, you'll need it to figure this one out.

The first thing I would do after getting the voltage meter is to remove every fuse from the block (that is the ones that aren't required to make the car run) and go from there to see if your voltage fluctuates from there. You *should* find that your voltage hovers around 13.5 volts. Now, chances are you already know where your problem is, it's probably whatever is hanging off of that fuse that keeps blowing; your speedo fuse. But just to be safe you'll want to try all of the other fuses by plugging them in one at a time and seeing if it happens again.
If it doesn't then I would investigate your gauge cluster and look to make sure a screw or something isn't dancing around your circuit boards or something like that. If you don't see anything there and you have ruled out anything else that is protected by that 15 amp fuse, I would get another gauge cluster from a junkyard and see if you still have the same issue.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for the reply. Yes i have a voltage meter but i work through the day and its so damn cold im just lazy to get outside. LOL. But i planed on trying to track it down this weekend. I've already eliminated teh gauge cluster, since i've tried 3 differnent ones, stock DX, New EX, and One out of my SI....All of them did the same. So its not there. Im thinking it has to be a open circuit for sure. So im just going to quit being a sissy and start digging.

If anyone else has had a commom problem like this please let me know, what you problem was and what you had to replace.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nobody else has any idea's. I know damn good and well im not the only one this has happend to...LOL
Old 03-20-2006, 11:56 AM

Default Re: NEED HELP ONCE AGAIN.....LONG STORY (IWANTAHB)

Yes there is a Honda factory bulletin for this. Don't remember the number right now but will get back to you soon if someone does'nt beat me to it
Old 03-20-2006, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

HELP ME OUT
Old 03-20-2006, 01:59 PM

i think you have a short circuit and that's why your fuse blows. you should check whatever is connected to that fuse (wirings,sensors,etc.) an open circuit does nothing. it's like its not connected to anything.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:42 PM

Default Re: (IWANTAHB)

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. Go to your nearest Honda dealer and see if you can't get them to make you a copy of service bulletin #99-029. This should be the answer to your problems.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (blueshark)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blueshark &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. Go to your
nearest Honda dealer and see if you can't get them to make you a copy of service bulletin #99-029. This should be the answer to your problems.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Man i hope so its getting old. I had to drive the SI today bc i was going insane, sitting at red lights and the heater making so much noise..LOL..Well i sent honda an email from work to see if they could send me a copy or fax me a copy. And if i don't here from them i plan on stopping by to see if they will. Thanks alot. Doyou have anymore info on this Service Bulletin #99-029? Like what all is involved?
Old 03-23-2006, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (blueshark)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blueshark &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. Go to your nearest Honda dealer and see if you can't get them to make you a copy of service bulletin #99-029. This should be the answer to your problems.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thank you so much. It was a problem, two of the wires were completely melter, i recovered them and than sealed em up. And all problems are fixed. Thanks alot again.

-Andru