Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Oxygen Sensor Extension for Comptech SOHC Header

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oxygen Sensor Extension for Comptech SOHC Header

I just purchased a new Comptech 92-00 SOHC Header and it did not come with the 30" oxygen sensor extension as stated on the parts list on the Comptech website. I called Comptech and they told me that they package them with every SOHC header and without it, the check engine light will go on and the car will not pass emissions. They told me to call the seller to order one for me and that the oxygen sensor extension costs $65. I going to call the seller and ask him to get one for me.

Now my question is what does the oxygen sensor extension do? I thought that aftermarket headers were straight bolt-ons and thus, the oxygen sensor would plug right in. Do all aftermarket headers require this extension or do only Comptech headers require it? I checked notice that none of the Comptech DOHC headers come with the oxygen sensor extension. So it is only for SOHC engines?

I have a '97 Civic EX.
Old 03-17-2004, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Oxygen Sensor Extension for Comptech SOHC Header (EricUSC)

Take a look at where your primary o2 sensor is and where the sensor bung is on the new Header. The header sometimes mounts down underneath while the stock location is near the block. The extension is for the relocation.
Old 03-17-2004, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oxygen Sensor Extension for Comptech SOHC Header (97civicdx)

cut and make the wires longer.
Old 03-17-2004, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oxygen Sensor Extension for Comptech SOHC Header (JSJ_EG_HATCH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JSJ_EG_HATCH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">cut and make the wires longer. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Nah, that ain't happening. Gotta get the extension. I prefer to do things right the first time. Maybe it's because I paid $389 for a $529 header:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...97347

The header was shipped in a brown box, not a Comptech box. I called the store and they recieved a bunch of Comptech headers, but none of them come with boxes. They told me to call them back later and they'll see if they can find an extension. The headers are indeed new Comptech headers, but what sucks is that the ad made no mentioning that the headers did not come with the Comptech packaging, thus no oxygen sensor extension or manuals. Now I wonder why the Comptech oxygen sensor extension costs $65. Does anybody know of a place where I can get it for cheaper?
Old 03-17-2004, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can make your own. Honestly it's only 4 wires. Just get you a couple of plugs and get to work.

EDIT: If your in NC I'll make you one like the other member said.
Old 03-17-2004, 02:44 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

Dude, save the money...cut the wires, solder some extensions in there, and you'll be fine. Hell, you could even use butt connectors and it would work, though I wouldn't recommend it.

I have extended many of the sensor wires on my harness to fit my needs...not a lick of a problem.

Hell, if you're in Atlanta, pay me half of what you'll pay for the packaged "extension" and I'll come do it for you.
Old 03-17-2004, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You can also look into the o2 extensions from DC sports.

They might be cheaper. I.E. 50.
Old 03-17-2004, 02:50 PM

the oxygen sensor measures hte oxygen content in exhuast gases it does this to make sure your care is running the right fuel to air ratio...in other words if it is running to rich or to lean. so whatever you choose to do make sure its not to not put a oxygen sensor back on.
Old 03-17-2004, 02:50 PM

cut splice and extend, save your money
Old 03-17-2004, 02:54 PM

make your own extension and save the money for something else better...
Old 03-17-2004, 02:57 PM
Trial User

Default Re: (warwagon)

I agree with all the above. It's so easy to cut, splice, and solder in and extention. I did this on mine, took me about 10min and cost near nothing..
Old 03-18-2004, 07:26 AM

It wouldn't be tough to extend the wires like everyone says.
Having said that...you did pay for this product and it should come complete if that's how it's advertised. It also sounds kind of shady that they would get a whole bunch of product without any packaging...and that they would sell it so cheap. Maybe they're knock offs....or one offs??? something like that. Good luck anyways...have you asked the shop why you don't get anything? Or why they don't even come in a Comptech box?
Old 03-18-2004, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oxygen Sensor Extension for Comptech SOHC Header (n1ek)

I contacted the seller and he says that he will send me the oxygen sensor extension. Provided I recieve them, it looks like the problem is solved.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by n1ek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Maybe they're knock offs....or one offs??? something like that. Good luck anyways...have you asked the shop why you don't get anything? Or why they don't even come in a Comptech box?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I highly doubt they're knock offs since they say Comptech and have a Carb number stamped on it. Comptech is a reputable company, but it's not Mugen, so I don't think any knock-off company would sell their headers as "Comptech style." What are one offs?