Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Overheeating issue!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 11:03 AM
dhn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheeating issue!

Well i had my valve adjustment done at a shop since ive had no time to work on the car myself. this is the first time ive gone to a shop in awhile..so i was a little wary. I got a new timing belt and water pump done as well since i was driving from nj to va. this is on my stock d15b8 btw. about a day or 2 later i noticed my oil light flash and saw oil all over my engine. ..reralized the idiots at the shop didnt seat my valve cover correctly. so i went back to them...had them do it..and replace oil..this time i watched them..mind you i couldve done it myself but..they need to kno they suck. so i drove around for a few more days..noticed smoked..but i figured it was jus the oil burning off the engine..(which it was) i power washed it and there was still some left. so i drove from nj to va...drove abbouuutt...100-175 mi. fine..absolutley no problems. i hit some dc traffic...started overheating. i had to keep pulling over and let my car cool down. the temp guage goes up...and fluctuates when i go on hills..or on the freeway. if im in stop and go traffic it jus automatically goes up almost to the h,..it sta7ys clear of the red area for the most part. ive never had overheating problems before this.. ALSO the coolant overflow container was full to the max after i overheated the first time..i poured some out..it was fine..but im still overheating..and theres some smoke but i see NO leaks..any help is appreciated!!
Old 08-18-2007, 11:04 AM
dhn

my fan comes on also..i hear it and see it working
Old 08-18-2007, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Overheeating issue! (dhn)

Did to replace your coolant or thermostat recently?
Old 08-18-2007, 11:15 AM
dhn

the coolant was replsaced when the shop did the water pump but not the thermostat...ive never had an overheating problem tho
Old 08-18-2007, 12:35 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: Overheeating issue! (ke98248)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ke98248 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did to replace your coolant or thermostat recently?</TD></TR></TABLE>
The coolant must be changed when the water pump is changed, because it all comes gushing out.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dhn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the coolant overflow container was full to the max after i overheated the first time..i poured some out..it was fine..but im still overheating</TD></TR></TABLE>
Did you check the coolant level in the radiator itself to make sure it was full to the top?
Old 08-18-2007, 12:47 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Overheeating issue! (Targa250R)

Maybe an air bubble from improper bleeding after the water pump installation. Wouldn't be the first time I've seen it. Run the car at idle with the heater on and the bleeder screw/radiator cap open until no more air comes out. I usually start at the radiator cap because more big bubbles can escape without making a mess
Old 08-18-2007, 01:57 PM

i had a similar problem with my car. where did u get the water pump because my water pump was bad and when they changed it out car stopped overheating
Old 08-18-2007, 09:03 PM
dhn

the shop changed the water pump so idk where its from. ill do the air check tomorrow. when i opened my radiator cap when i found out it was overheating...coolan flowed out the radiator when i opened the cap
Old 08-19-2007, 09:26 AM
dhn

up for more help
Old 08-19-2007, 09:38 AM
be professional

Default Re: (dhn)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dhn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">coolan flowed out the radiator when i opened the cap</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yeah . . . so did you replace the coolant that was lost after the car cooled back down? You didn't answer the question.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:40 AM
dhn

i didnt see it

and no i didnt,there wasnt a substantial amount of coolant lost. i will check for leaks..and the coolant level today
Old 08-20-2007, 08:12 AM
dhn

could it be a headgasket problem?

when i pulled over one time when it overheated on the highway..the motor was very hot to the touch(mind u this was a trip from nj to va) yesterday i drove to walmart which is like..5 min away...when i got to the parking lot it started overheating..today i checked and theres no coolant in the radiator....no leaks on the ground...so idk what it could be,.,.im replacing my thermostat just waiting for majestic honda to ship it...any more help is greatly appreciated
Old 08-20-2007, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Im gonna put my money on that shop messed up the water pump considering they couldnt even put a ******* valve cover on correctly
Old 08-20-2007, 11:35 AM
dhn

upppp
Old 08-20-2007, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you suspect the HG is the cause you can check the overflow tank for "black film". I have been told that this is caused by small cracks in your HG that allow exhaust fumes to mix with the coolant. Other than that you can run a compression test and also check to see ify our oil is "milky" in color. Should look like you mixed brown and white paint.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:50 AM
dhn

the resevoir is clean...oil is fine...im gonna fill up the coolant and see what happenes
Old 08-20-2007, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is why I find time to "play" on my own cars! D@mn shops f'n stuff up all the time! They don't care this is your DD, and you need it. They just do the quickest/shoddiest job they can to move into the next victim.

Hope you figure it all out!
Old 08-21-2007, 05:03 AM
dhn

added coolant..drove for a little and no overheating..left it idling and no overheating but..i didnt drive around tomuch tho..ill do rthat today..i jus dont get the overflowing coolant resevoir that i had before
Old 08-22-2007, 10:10 AM
dhn

i filled the radiator..checked this morning and it was low..so i had to refill it...i dont see any leaks..ugh help
Old 08-22-2007, 02:28 PM
be professional

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dhn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i filled the radiator..checked this morning and it was low..so i had to refill it...i dont see any leaks..ugh help</TD></TR></TABLE>
There are 2 possibilities:

- There were air pockets trapped in the cooling system after it was drained and refilled, because it either wasn't bled enough, or wasn't bled at all. After the coolant was circulated around for a while, the air worked its way up to the top of the radiator and the coolant filled up the rest of the system. Or . . .

- You have a bad head gasket and are burning coolant while introducing excess pressure into the cooling system. You can have a shop do a test for combustion gases in the coolant to determine if this is the problem. Or, you could buy a head gasket failure detection kit and test it yourself.

If I were you, I'd fill it back up and continue to drive it, while monitoring the coolant level in the radiator by checking it every morning before you get in the car. That way you can determine if the car is steadily losing coolant, or if this is just a one-time thing.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:42 PM
dhn

i had to refille it tiday after driving for awhile...i dont see in spots in the parking lot where i park.so idk where the leak if any is..
Old 08-22-2007, 09:27 PM
be professional

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dhn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i had to refille it tiday after driving for awhile...i dont see in spots in the parking lot where i park.so idk where the leak if any is..</TD></TR></TABLE>
I can see that everything discussed thus far in this thread has gone directly over your head.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:39 AM
dhn

how so?

what have you told me to do..nothing...ive .no need to be a dick
Old 08-23-2007, 09:52 AM

do you see white smoke coming from your exhaust at idle?? if so you are burning coolent and you headgasket might need to be replaced
Old 08-23-2007, 12:40 PM
dhn

no white smoke...im gonna replace the radiator cap..see if that does something..im still losing coolant slowly so idk whats up

Quick Reply: Overheeating issue!