Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

overheating while its idling!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overheating while its idling!

About a month ago I was chillin in my car waitin for buddy to get out of the bank... I started to notice that my car started bogging down when I put it in gear and the Temp gauge sky rocketed!!! So I pulled to the side gave it a couple a revs and everything went back to normal... Well a couple days later it did the same thing!!! I dont know WTF is wrong! I check my fluids everything is where it is supposed to be. Well now its turnin into a day to day problem and I noticed that it only does it when I let the car idle for a while just sittin there!!! When I start to move again it goes to normal!!! Does anybody know what can cause this!??
Old 12-30-2006, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: overheating while its idling! (TXGrunt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TXGrunt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">About a month ago I was chillin in my car waitin for buddy to get out of the bank... I started to notice that my car started bogging down when I put it in gear and the Temp gauge sky rocketed!!! So I pulled to the side gave it a couple a revs and everything went back to normal... Well a couple days later it did the same thing!!! I dont know WTF is wrong! I check my fluids everything is where it is supposed to be. Well now its turnin into a day to day problem and I noticed that it only does it when I let the car idle for a while just sittin there!!! When I start to move again it goes to normal!!! Does anybody know what can cause this!?? </TD></TR></TABLE>

does your fan go on???....maybe chage your thermostat
Old 12-30-2006, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: overheating while its idling! (B18CivicEg)

yup the fan is still workin.... how can I tell if the thermostat is good or not??
Old 12-30-2006, 05:10 PM

is your coolant level good?
Old 12-30-2006, 05:37 PM

if your fans are working, I would check if there is any restrictions in front of the radiator, or could also be a collapsed coolant hose.
Old 12-30-2006, 05:43 PM

Default Re: overheating while its idling! (hondaman86)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondaman86 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if your fans are working, I would check if there is any restrictions in front of the radiator, or could also be a collapsed coolant hose.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 12-30-2006, 06:08 PM

I had the same problem.Just changed the thermostat and it's good to go
Old 12-30-2006, 06:09 PM

Default Re: overheating while its idling! (hondaman86)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondaman86 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if your fans are working, I would check if there is any restrictions in front of the radiator, or could also be a collapsed coolant hose.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I had the same problem before with my accord when i would stop the temp would skyrocket same as urs and it was my radiator it was gone. I got a new one and fixed the problem.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:10 PM

Thermostat gone bad
Old 12-30-2006, 09:30 PM
H-T White Ops

Check your coolant level.
My 94 was doing this the other day. Never thought anything of it. I ran out of washer fluid and decided to check the water level in the radiator. Damn thing had no water in it like you'd normally be able to see when you open the cap, and the reservoir was empty. Took about half a gallon to get the radiator full again. Topped the reservoir off as well and drove the car around. Temp went back to normal and stayed perfect where it's supposed to.
Let the car cool down and suck water into the radiator from the reservoir to replace any air that might have been pushed out while driving.
Before you go opening up your cooling system for a new stat, check the coolant level.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TXGrunt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yup the fan is still workin.... how can I tell if the thermostat is good or not??</TD></TR></TABLE>

if you wanna change your thermostat and dont really know how....here's a write up that JDMLYFESTYLE has in his site that has simple step by step instructions
http://jdmlyfestyle.com/How%20...t.htm
Old 12-30-2006, 09:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: overheating while its idling! (B18CivicEg)

damn thanks for all the replies!!! I will check all that out tomorrow!! Thx all!