Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Overheating w/ knocking!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating w/ knocking!!

i have a 93 civic dx hatch all stock...the car was fine but slowly started to studder almost wanting to stall, but never did...then after a couple of days started acting up and would strugle from a dead stop (1st gear)...finally i started smoking (white smoke) it was bad, i left it on and walked away and when i returned it was completely covered in a cloud!!...i got it home and the next morning it was fine but after i took it around the black the motor started acting up again and knockin, and the exhaust is now greyish and has a very strong scent that burns your eyes and throut (u can smell it from a distance)

i was told Radaitor, head gasket, low coolant, air in cooling system...but still puzzled!!!

it fine on initial start up and can idle for as long as i want fine, but if i hop in and go for a spin it starts!!

please help, im a noob in tha owning a honda thing..LOL ...any ideas????

thanks,
DRE
Old 05-17-2007, 12:30 PM

Default Re: Overheating w/ knocking!! (StreetRiot_DRE)

Couple questions:
Why the hell would you be running a car thats smoking that bad???

It could be several things:

First it could have been something with your coolant that caused your engine to overheat. Secondly running the car over and over may have likely damaged something else.

White smoke out the tailpipe and stuttering and running crappy is a sign of a bad head gasket.

Greyish smoke sounds like your burning oil now too.

Heres a fix...stop driving your car until you get it looked at by a shop.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Overheating w/ knocking!! (Crispy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Crispy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Couple questions:
Why the hell would you be running a car thats smoking that bad???

Heres a fix...stop driving your car until you get it looked at by a shop.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

i did stop driving the car and after it started smokeing i simply drove it for nomore than 2 miles to get it home.....i cant afford for a shop to look at it rite now cuz i am in a money situation, that y i was trying to get result or suggestions from these forums
Old 05-18-2007, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Toms river, huh? Rt 37 ftw!

Your first step should be to get a new head gasket at this point, your current is blown and is leaking all your coolant into your combustion chamber.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:40 AM

Default Re: Overheating w/ knocking!! (StreetRiot_DRE)

you most likely have at least a bad head gasket. if you are unlucky you have a bad head. when you start to increase the amount of fuel air mixture and rpm anything you are burning at idle that you dont see, becomes much more obvious the knocking could be anything from your head vibrating and hitting the block metal on metal, or sharing fire between cylinders. sharing fire is most likely caused by a bad head gasket, but in worst case scenario it is from a hole between cylinders and there could easily be a crack to a coolant line from that. the most obvious sign of sharing fire is a significant decrease in power. the knocking could also be due to bad rings from running coolant through a cylinder long enough to destroy the seals and now the piston shakes around in the cylinder
Old 05-18-2007, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bad head gasket FTW!!!