Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

OVERHEATING- SOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 05:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default OVERHEATING- SOLVED

Just wanted to share- My 2000 civic was having a terrible overheating issue that I couldn't figure out for almost 1 year. It was the same as every other listing (almost) here-
I probably read a good 250 posts regarding overheating with most posters saying similar things (and throwing parts at their cars) I was doing the same. Another issue I notice was most posters would either not update their posts (with the fix) or they would return in 2 months looking for more answers.
So personally My car would overheat, (not exactly, but the gauge would start moving up) especially at stop lights, on the highway most times it would be fine but once in a while it would start creeping up on temp gauge- Id throw the heat on full blast and it would do the trick and I would continue on.
I changed
Radiator cap (OEM)
Flush/Fill (Honda coolant - bled cycle MULTIPLE TIMES)
Thermostat (OEM)
Jumped fan (Multiple times- to verify)
Upper / lower radiator hose
Fan switch relay / sensor
Radiator
Waterpump (it was about time anyhow)
and the list goes on.... I literally changed the ENTIRE thing. Every part outside of the HG- with all OEM honda parts- I bleed the system on average once every 2 weeks thinking it was air pockets, and even went as far as the waterpump- the only reason I didnt do the HG was b/c it didnt seem like it was HG related.

So Friday I FINALLY figured it out- The $7 HEATER HOSE located on the passenger side on the D series motor- under the distributor - I had a pinhole leak that would let air into the system and was creating havoc- After I made this discovery, I pulled the distributor off (in a parking lot mind you - always keep those 12mm's handy, lol) and just happened to have rescue tape (silicone sealing tape) as my hose busted open and was pouring coolant out (with the white cloud of course) just so I could drive to a auto parts store. I changed it in about 5 mins - (pull distributor for access/ open two snap connectors-) One side goes under the distributor- the other side connects into your heater core vavle. Depending on your civic (but suffice to say, the majority of these are on 17-20 yr old + cars) and mostly probably original, so they almost all have had some oil leaking from under the distributor which make them vulnerable to damage.

So- Ive been around along time- and this forum has saved me countless dollars on repair bills- If your having some mysterious overheating/getting hot issues- Id reco giving it a shot. They run about $16 (without savings) at your local auto part store- I used a advance auto coupon and with new clamps / antifreeze it was right about $20 bucks after coupon- labor 5 mins. Remember to bleed system after (jack up front end, turn heat to hot setting, let run for 2 fan cycles)
Old 05-14-2017, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: OVERHEATING- SOLVED

So Friday I FINALLY figured it out- The $7 HEATER HOSE located on the passenger side on the D series motor- under the distributor - I had a pinhole leak that would let air into the system and was creating havoc-
I'm not sure I follow. How do you know this was the problem?
Old 05-14-2017, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OP if you would have performed a coolant system pressure test on your system first you would have found that leak before you replaced a single part. The distributor o-ring has a tendency to leak oil and that oil drips directly on that heater hose where it connects to the cylinder head. Oil breaks down rubber and causes tears in the hose.
Old 05-14-2017, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good stuff here!
Old 05-14-2017, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimi Hondrix
OP if you would have performed a coolant system pressure test on your system first you would have found that leak before you replaced a single part.
Not totally true. I didn't find my leak with a pressure tester, I found it after I saw steam coming out the hood. I've owned a pressure tester for almost 20 years, wasn't user error.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:26 PM
Premium Member

Received 189 Likes on 164 Posts

Nice when someone finds, and posts, a fix!
Old 05-15-2017, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by civicservice
I'm not sure I follow. How do you know this was the problem?
Im sorry, Im know it was the issue b/c the pinhole got to the size of maybe half the size of a bb- and last week it finally split open about the size of a 1" papercut in the hose. When that happened I saw white smoke and immediately opened the hood to further investigate. Even when the hose split, I really couldn't visualize what was happening (hole was on bottom of hose- out of vision due to the distributor above/tranny below)

I really took a good look at the hose and I can see some breakdown (where the hole was) and that finally gave way for the split to happen. I theorize that that hole has been around for months (due to cars symptoms) and Im very confident the issue has resolved. Drove ~300 miles since the replacement without the gauge moving more then 1/2 of the way up the gauge. Car is running smooth again.
Old 05-15-2017, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OP if you would have performed a coolant system pressure test on your system first you would have found that leak before you replaced a single part. The distributor o-ring has a tendency to leak oil and that oil drips directly on that heater hose where it connects to the cylinder head. Oil breaks down rubber and causes tears in the hose.
Believe it or not, I actually brought it to honda for a diag and supposedly they did a pressure test. They told me it was the headgasket and offered me $0 down on a new civic and $1500 for trade in. Im not entirely sure it wouldve failed a pressure test to be honest, maybe over 10-15 mins as the leak was literally inside the hose and was about the size of half of a standard bb. On the external side, the hole was the size of a large syringe needle. The failure and subsequent splitting of hose (still not huge-maybe 1" was what clued me in) Not that I blame Honda or the tech- as Im sure it isn't standard practice to pressurize the system and then wait 15 mins to make sure there isn't a small pinhole there. Not at 95/hr anyhow
Old 05-15-2017, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by redm3turbo
I really took a good look at the hose and I can see some breakdown (where the hole was) and that finally gave way for the split to happen. I theorize that that hole has been around for months (due to cars symptoms) and Im very confident the issue has resolved. Drove ~300 miles since the replacement without the gauge moving more then 1/2 of the way up the gauge. Car is running smooth again.
Keep an eye on the coolant level in the radiator and reservoir for a week or two. If, you notice rise of coolant in reservoir and loss in radiator..most likely a headgasket breach.
My daughter's 6th gen had a split in that exact location/heater hose and it overheated. I replaced that hose, bled coolant and all seemed well except it was losing coolant in radiator and gaining in reservoir. Block Tested it and the test confirmed hydrocarbons (exhaust emissions) in coolant. I replaced the headgasket (and other gaskets) and it's been fine for the past 30k miles.
Old 05-15-2017, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94 Civic Si
Nice when someone finds, and posts, a fix!
seriously- I love this site, but lately all the posts I read/search/etc go unsolved. I never know if its the car was sold, or they gave it away.
Ive been around a long time and this site has legit saved me so many times. When I first started in here, around early 2000 I had a CRX in college that I dropped $600 on b/c it wouldnt start when it was hot.
My local honda dealer changed part after part- and never fixed it. Posted here and within 5 mins multiple people told me - change your main relay with step by step instructions - $20- later my problem was solved.
Hopefully some college kid now 20 years later reads my posts and his car doesn't overheat/get hot all summer for $20 bucks.

Side note, those were the days when you'd post in the marketplace and 25 mins later your post was 5 pages down b/c so many posts were being submitted. Like the days of super street, lol
Old 05-15-2017, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Keep an eye on the coolant level in the radiator and reservoir for a week or two. If, you notice rise of coolant in reservoir and loss in radiator..most likely a headgasket breach.
If its a headgasket issue Im going to go buy a bag of rags, and a lighter and then walk to the dealer and buy a leftover 2017 when the 18's come in, lol
Old 05-16-2017, 09:51 AM
Premium Member

...and offered me $0 down on a new civic and $1500 for trade in...
Douchebags!
Old 05-16-2017, 09:52 AM
Premium Member

seriously- I love this site, but lately all the posts I read/search/etc go unsolved. I never know if its the car was sold, or they gave it away.
Ive been around a long time and this site has legit saved me so many times. When I first started in here, around early 2000 I had a CRX in college that I dropped $600 on b/c it wouldnt start when it was hot.
My local honda dealer changed part after part- and never fixed it. Posted here and within 5 mins multiple people told me - change your main relay with step by step instructions - $20- later my problem was solved.
Hopefully some college kid now 20 years later reads my posts and his car doesn't overheat/get hot all summer for $20 bucks.

Side note, those were the days when you'd post in the marketplace and 25 mins later your post was 5 pages down b/c so many posts were being submitted. Like the days of super street, lol
I know, it is frustrating when you search something and find threads with no resolution...
Old 05-17-2017, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

95 DX coupe.
Near similar problem.Original engine (260K miles) had that hose at that location split and leak.Engine overheated,(warped head) and at 260K decided to have mechanic install replacement engine w/137K miles. (Mar2012)
Eventually at 200K plus on replacement engine, (Feb 2016) had a REBUILT engine put in.Caught the same hose / location just beginning to leak.Did a replace of that hose and never had a problem.
moral,check that hose location every oil change.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I was thinking the same thing, seems it was tested though? Had a similar problem in my 02 accord, just picking up some Jimmy John's one night. Then I smell the sweet sweet smell of burning engine coolant. Look down at my gauges, heat gauge is climbing, smoke is pouring from the hood, this is at night btw. Had it towed back to the house. Filled it up with coolant, no problems, drove it no problems again. Borrowed a pressure tester, got one pump of pressure into the system and coolant started shooting out of a pin sized hole in one of the heater core hoses. Wonder if the good old stealership didnt actually run the pressure test right?
Old 05-18-2017, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Kevs02Accord
. Wonder if the good old stealership didnt actually run the pressure test right?
Just another reason to try DIY first as much as possible. Concerning repairs I always think of a dealership as the last option. If I can't fix it something myself then I will bring the car to a local, trusted independent mechanic. Even at that no one besides yourself is going to do the research it often takes to fix particular issues on a 20 year old car. When a person DIY's a repair they know exactly what and how they did it so it uncomplicates current and potential issues, as well as saves a lot of $$$$.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

have had two pinhole heater hose leaks in the last year.
getting ready to replace the rest.
be prepared... it's the boy scouts' marching song...
Old 05-18-2017, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Kevs02Accord
Wonder if the good old stealership didnt actually run the pressure test right?
It really could go either way. On one hand if they get a big repair job (headgasket or engine) they'd probably net more money
on the other hand, they have to move cars off the lot, so I wouldnt be surprised if the salesman instructed the tech or service advisor to run the bill up to help facilitate the new car purchase.

Ive had issues in the past I couldnt solve that would get a dealership visit and they would change a sensor or whatever for $2-300 bucks, and the issue wouldn't resolve and the answer was always the same- that part was bad or out of spec thats why we changed it, and then offer to sell me something else.