Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

overheating problem please help

Old 07-27-2004, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overheating problem please help

hey everyone, i'm new at this car game and i just got my first civic. its a 92 hatchback, its been sitting for a year hasn't been started or run. It was given to me because there was an over heating problem what can i do to fix this possible problem, i already turned on the heat all the way but i think the heat is messed up, it seems to be leaking rad. coolent but aparently it just got a new rad, what else could be the problem.
Old 07-27-2004, 02:01 PM

Default Re: overheating problem please help (Semi-automatic)

Check all malfunctioning parts and replace away.......Since it was sitting for awhile I would recommend you replace the hoses due to chapping from been dry for so long. Chapping will lead to cracks and leaks in the hose, and flush your radiator fluid and flush and replace all your fluids since it's been sitting for so long.
Old 07-27-2004, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: overheating problem please help (MNEJ1GUY)

cheapest and simplest things to do would be replace thermostat and hoses as recommended earlier and do not forget to do a flush, you probably have some rust and gunk causing problems too. Then if you are still leaking water see if it's from the radiator or the water pump. If the radiator is new you probably still have a warranty and some even come with a lifetime warranty so hopefully that would be an easy fix for you.
Old 07-27-2004, 02:20 PM

Good chance the thermostat siezed up from sitting that long. Also make sure the fan is turning on. Like MNEJ1GUY said a flush of the system and new hoses would also be a good idea.
Old 07-30-2004, 01:25 PM

ya so the fan in the Rad won't go turn, which i think i just need a new RAD. i checked the fuses and their all good, so its not that...i think i will just need to get a new rad and a new thermostat
Old 07-30-2004, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Semi-automatic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ya so the fan in the Rad won't go turn, which i think i just need a new RAD. i checked the fuses and their all good, so its not that...i think i will just need to get a new rad and a new thermostat</TD></TR></TABLE>

The radiator and fan are two separate pieces. If your fan won't jump on you most likely have either a bad fan motor, bad fan relay, bad temperature sensor, or bad wiring in between. Just start bridging the system at different places like at the fan plug up front, the relay in the fusbox by the battery, and at the temperature sensor plug near the thermostat. You should be able to narrow it down.

Also, if you don't have sufficient coolant in your system because your leaking, might be that you're not heating up the temperature sensor and in that case your fan system might actually be fine.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: overheating problem please help (riversideguy)

ditto on the last post. If fan doesn't work then you work on that first before anything else. But are you sure it doesn't work, check it when the temp is up high (not too high ) But don't go and get a new radiator just cause the fan don't work.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: overheating problem please help (murtnabila)

Sounds like the same problem I had with my car. Let the car run for awhile and see if the fan kicks in when the temp goes up. I had a bad head gasket on my car when I had that problem though...probably not the radiator if its new...