Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Overheating Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 10:19 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating Problem

Hello,

First all I should probably state I am new here. I have only owned my 00' Civic Si for about 6 months. Have had a few problems with it due to the previous owner beating the hell out of it but I have done a pretty good job maintaining it and restoring it to what it should be. I am not very car savvy, I have done a few things on my own but nothing without some serious research and youtube videos. I decided to join the forums to better solve my current car problem and future ones. I didn't see a board for 00' Civics so I went with the closest thing. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

Anyways, just recently my car started overheating. I've done some online research but nothing seemed to match my problem symptom for symptom. I watched it very closely and this is what I have noted.

- Cools down while accelerating, heats up slowly while idling.
- When heater is turned on, temp gauge goes down to normal eventually.
- I checked coolant and noticed that it was low, but also that there was some coolant sitting on the housing of the fan, as it if had leaked a little. I got some radiator leak fixer, (not sure if this was a bad idea as I read afterwards some Hondas are picky with what goes into the radiator.) poured it in and added a quart of coolant. At first while driving it seemed to work but eventually started doing the same thing. Looked under the hood again while the car was running and noticed that just below the radiator cap, there was some bubbling coming from a seem. It was a tiny amount but enough to catch my eye.
- Fans seem to work normally, cooling fan is on during idle and the other fan turns on immediately when AC is turned on.
- Within the 6 months of owning this vehicle I have replaced the water pump and head gasket.
- 75k on the odometer

For things I don't know anything about I usually take it to be done professionally, but I would prefer to have an idea of what is going on before I get there. Also, any simple task is going to be difficult because I broke my hand 2 weeks back, however I can probably get some pictures if it would help. Thanks in advance!!!
Old 04-29-2012, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Overheating Problem

I'll reply for a fellow Nebraskan. Seems like you're in need of a new radiator. I heard of cracks in the area you describe. That seam likely is not fixable with any sort of sealant or putty.

When you do the rad you should probably flush the system to get out any of that leak fixer as well as replace the thermostat - it'll really gunk up the entire system.