Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Overheating at idle!?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating at idle!?!?!?!

Well i was overheating at idle for about 3 weeks now....it would be fine when i drive or if blasted the heat at idle. So i thought it would be my thermostat. So i changed the thermostat added some water wetter with 50/50 coolant mix and bled the system properly for about 20 mins. The car is still overheating at idle. The coolant i dumped out had no signs of oil in it and the oil from the motor does not look milky or anything like that so it might not be the headgasket. I dont hear any bearing noise or coolant leaks by the water pump and the fan is working so the fan switch is fine. Does anyone know what else this **** could be. Its ******* annoying cause im ready to get a tune for higher boost but i dont want to cause of this over heating. PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Les

Old 05-06-2007, 06:28 PM

Default Re: Overheating at idle!?!?!?! (IntegraG2)

heating core maybe???, just an idea...
Old 05-06-2007, 06:35 PM

heating core??? how so??
Old 05-06-2007, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are/were you low on coolant at all? Any smoke from the exhaust? Passenger floorboard moist? Are you positive that all the air is out of the system?

p.s. It took forever for me to find a pinhole leak in my radiator...

edit: Try pressure testing the cooling system.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is your radiator fan turning on?
Old 05-06-2007, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Overheating at idle!?!?!?! (t0p_sh0tta)

Still could be the headgasket, any leak/smoke? Compression test?
Old 05-06-2007, 06:50 PM

no smoke or leaks that i can see....i will do a compression test soon on the head and on the cooling system...

no smoke from the exhaust and no moist floor board

my fan is turning on alot like every 30 seconds at idle....like its trying to cool it down...
Old 05-06-2007, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IntegraG2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Does anyone know what else this **** could be. Its ******* annoying cause im ready to get a tune for higher boost but i dont want to cause of this over heating. PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Les

</TD></TR></TABLE>
Definately would get this situation checked out before that
Old 05-06-2007, 06:55 PM

Default Re: Overheating at idle!?!?!?! (Boostedb20EH2)

yeah i know tell me about it
Old 05-06-2007, 07:54 PM

i dont know if it would be a headgasket i just replaced it under a year ago and put ARP headstuds....i am so damn confused....
Old 05-06-2007, 08:21 PM

Default Re: (IntegraG2)

check the condition of the rad u may also need to bleed the system again u could have air in the cooling system still
Old 05-06-2007, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (1DX2NV)

my friend had a booseted gsr and he had that problem im pretty sure it ended up being the head gasket.. and well he still drove it he warped the hell out of his radiator.. so u might just wanna change the gasket.. just my opinion

also since it has been over heating you might wanna get the head and block checked to make sure they did not get warped from the over heating
Old 05-06-2007, 08:57 PM

the needle on the temp gauge only was a tad over the middle line so i dont know if that would cause the head to warp
Old 05-06-2007, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IntegraG2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i dont know if it would be a headgasket i just replaced it under a year ago and put ARP headstuds....i am so damn confused....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Did you make sure that all the coolant hoses go back in the right spot? You might've switched them.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:00 PM

yeah all in the right spots....the car did not over heat last summer just recently so i dont think that might be the problem...
Old 05-06-2007, 10:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you car is overheating at idle, but not when moving it's definetly something to with the fan first check if the fan motor is working, just connected it straithg to power if it doesn't turn on get a new fan motor it it does there's something either wrong with the fan switch (sensor that goes on on thermostat housing) or with the grounds and wires...

your car doent over heat when moving because you have the air heating the radiator so theres no need for the fan, so once you come to a stop it'll over heat cuz the fan is need.. this is the most usual problem and solutions but sometime theres freaky ones
Old 05-06-2007, 10:49 PM

Is your fan staying on long enough to try and cool things down?Or just coming on for a second or two
Old 05-07-2007, 05:35 AM

the fan does turn on and it turns on for about 10-15 seconds.....but sometimes it does only stay on for a few seconds.....

ps. thanks for all the input keep it coming please
Old 05-07-2007, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

your boosted right and running an inner cooler in front of your radiator right? So you already have reduced air flow. You need to clean the cooling fins of the radiator and the inner cooler. Go to a car wash and pressure was the radiator from inside the engine bay out do the same with the inner cooler. Are you running the oem radiator or did you upgrade to an oversize radiator. You could also have scale build up in the radiator. You could remove it from the car turn it upside down and run water through it from the lower rad hose. If all else fails you could still have a blown head gasket.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (instructor74)

Yes...i just realized this..
Could be your intercooler blocking the radiator.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:14 AM

yeah im gonna order an aluminum rad pretty soon....i will try to pressure wash the rad....

maybe the fins on the intercooler and on the rad are just dirty...i just hope it isnt a headgasket thats quite a bit of work....
Old 05-07-2007, 04:39 PM

well i found a pretty bad leak....where the upper rad hose connects to the rad it leaks. Reason it leaks is because the upper rad hose is for a DC integra but im using a small 92 eg dx rad so this may be the problem.....i am going to upgrade to a koyo oem style dual core.....
Old 05-08-2007, 07:59 AM

ok this is what i found....

i went to go bleed the system again because i knew there was air pockets still. So i followed the procedures that hamburgler posted. So to heat up the car i ran the car with the rad cap off without the heat on until the fan turns on. The problem is the fan did not come on and the water started to boil. So i think my fan switch was on the verge of shitting the bed and now has finally **** the bed. I heard/saw it come on yesterday but this was when it was already overheating. So i am going to change the rad and fan switch and hopefully this is what is causing the problem.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:18 AM

Update!

So i wired up the fan to be on all the time by jumping the fan switch harness plug and now it does not over heat so thats good. This is just temporary while i wait for my rad and fanswitch to come in. But i now notice white smoke coming out of my exhaust after driving 10 to 15mins of driving over 120-130km/h. So yeah im pretty sure my headgasket is expletive't but its weird cause i dont get any mixing of fluids at all and this white smoke only happens once every month so i didnt take it into conisderation. Has anyone gone through a similar situation????

Please hook me up with some feedback this is really annoying me. Thanks in advance
Old 05-14-2007, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It is not uncommon if you catch a a head gasket early enough on these motors for them only to use coolant and not to have a mixing of oil and coolant. Of course I only speak of a stock NA motor and not something that has boost put to it then anything can happen. Of course once you start loosing coolant the engine overheats the head warps and then it really get messy Good luck

Quick Reply: Overheating at idle!?!?!?!