Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Overheating civic - radiator fan won't run and there's no heat in cabin

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating civic - radiator fan won't run and there's no heat in cabin

Well, this is as far as i got.

I have hondata so i know my temp sensor works.
electric fan does not turn on. replaced the fan relay and fuse is not burnt out

also, thermostat is stuck OPEN and over heats while driving down the road on a 30 degree day. does not blow hot air in cabin on full blast.

i even changed to a new t-stat and same problem. new water pump. i even tried to burm system and top off radiator. new mishimoto fan + rad any suggestions?

b20 vtec with a b16a2 head. 1997 civic ex.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Overheating civic. Awkward...

Let me get this straight......new radiator, thermostat, water pump?

So it overheats while driving with a new thermostat?

I wonder if you have a clog?
Old 01-07-2012, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bubble in the coolant lines probably, bleed them...also, any coolant mixed in with your oil, any white smoke out of your exhaust?
Old 01-08-2012, 12:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If your thermostat is stuck open, the engine will take much longer to reach normal operating temperature, if it reaches that temperature at all. It would not, however, overheat with a thermostat that is stuck open, only stuck closed. if all other things are working properly, you either have air in your coolant system or a blown head gasket.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ive never bought an aftermarket thermostat that works properly.

OEM t stats for b series.

But if its turbo, then just gut the t stat.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Overheating civic - radiator fan won't run and there's no heat in cabin

Start by thoroughly bleeding the cooling system.

If you short the radiator fan switch with a jumper wire, does the fan now run?
Old 01-08-2012, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Overheating civic - radiator fan won't run and there's no heat in cabin

I'd check for a collapsed coolant hose if everything else works and there's no blown head gasket...
Old 01-09-2012, 06:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i only run evens coolant. its a golden eagle metal head gasket so i dont see how it can go bad after 1000 miles. its new everything. block has been built and dipped. so there is not crap in there lol. waterpump and t stat. new hoses came with the swap.

No white smoke. i have never checked the oil but i do want to change it soon anyways. i highly doubt its in the oil though.

even with a aftermarket radiator just idling, shouldnt that be enough without a fan at this temp outside NOT to jump in temp?

It was weird. car started to get hot, and kept getting hotter, pulled the tstat and it was stuck open. changed it. gets up to 160, stops for a while, goes to 170, stops for a while, goes to 180, stops for a while. goes to 190, stops and then climbs and doesnt stop. tested in a garage at about 60 degrees.

I did buy some coolant equipment to FORCE MORE coolant into the system to help get pockets out. im going to try that and see what happens... by god i hope its not a head gasket.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nonpoint986
i only run evens coolant. its a golden eagle metal head gasket so i dont see how it can go bad after 1000 miles. its new everything. block has been built and dipped. so there is not crap in there lol. waterpump and t stat. new hoses came with the swap.

No white smoke. i have never checked the oil but i do want to change it soon anyways. i highly doubt its in the oil though.

even with a aftermarket radiator just idling, shouldnt that be enough without a fan at this temp outside NOT to jump in temp?

It was weird. car started to get hot, and kept getting hotter, pulled the tstat and it was stuck open. changed it. gets up to 160, stops for a while, goes to 170, stops for a while, goes to 180, stops for a while. goes to 190, stops and then climbs and doesnt stop. tested in a garage at about 60 degrees.

I did buy some coolant equipment to FORCE MORE coolant into the system to help get pockets out. im going to try that and see what happens... by god i hope its not a head gasket.
You never answered my question does it run hot while driving or idling or both?

Did you change the head bolts?
Old 01-09-2012, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it gets hot while idling. at 30 mph it gets hot. arp head bolts. no i didnt change them. only 1000 miles on setup.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it gets hot while idling. at 30 mph it gets hot. arp head bolts. no i didnt change them. only 1000 miles on setup.
Hum so hot no matter what, look for a clog.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im going to flush out the entire system and install a new tstat. then try again... ugh lol

untill then... i will have to wait for results.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im going to flush out the entire system and install a new tstat. then try again... ugh lol

untill then... i will have to wait for results.
After the system flush and T-stat replacement, BLEED the cooling system.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
After the system flush and T-stat replacement, BLEED the cooling system.
yes. the only thing i can do is open up the radiator cap and try to burp the system. im also going to try this tool that forces more water in and pushed the bubbles out. i dont have a bleed screw on the thermostat housing.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bleeding the cooling system may take 20-30 minutes.

1) Park the car on an inclined driveway with the front end higher than the rear.

2) Push/turn the dash heater lever/**** to MAX heat. Fan need not be on.

3) Follow the directions in the diagram below

Old 04-16-2012, 05:59 PM
Trial User

ik its a old thread but will help anyone googling the problem

is there coolant flow through the top and bottom hoses? check your heater core/ prop valve, coolant lines running from the back of the block to heather core out the prop valve back to the head

my car overheated i did new radiator checked water pump didn't replace orileys gave me 2 wrong ones jdm dohc zc parts are hard to find needed my car,i flushed the system with a garden hose started pulling hoses n blew in the heater core one and my cheeks puff up then i heard a loud gurgle,water pump couldn't flow enough pressure to open it so i just routed (looped) the coolant and car doesn't overheat
Old 04-16-2012, 10:25 PM
Trial User

You said you fan is not turning on, that is a reason why your car is overheating, the heat from the radiator is not being vented out.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I did a gsr swap and I couldn't figure out for the life of me what was going on, had the same problem. I bled it, checked t stat while engine was hot and it was open, observed of close when it cooled down, t had a new water pump so I was confuzzled.

turns out I didn't bleed t as good as I thogh I had. u see b series don't have the blessed valve. so I drove it till it got really hot, let it cool off, drove t again until it got hot and repeated. runs like a champ now.

Posted from Honda Tech Forum Reader for Android