Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Overheating at 100MPH

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating at 100MPH

OK, I am in Germany, so I can go as fast as I want. My Del Sol SI overheats at 100MPH, but when I drop back down, it stops. It never did that before i replaced the block with a new one (when i bought the car, it ran great, a couple months later, found out that the rod bearings had gone before i bought the car, then the shop replaced just the bearings. It blew again on the Autobahn after I bought it.)

It only overheats at higher speeds, I would love to fix this problem, cause she will go to about 155 MPH (German ones are faster).

Any ideas as to why this might be happening?

Also, the engine light comes on all the time, how do I read the codes?
Old 08-30-2005, 09:31 AM

Default Re: Overheating at 100MPH (c_riggan)

headgasket most likely, check your radiator cap and thermostat
Old 08-30-2005, 09:34 AM
Banned

Default Re: Overheating at 100MPH (c_riggan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by c_riggan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Also, the engine light comes on all the time, how do I read the codes?</TD></TR></TABLE>
on the right side kick panel, there should be two little plugs sticking out kinda to the right of the glove box. jumper the two prong one with a paper clip or something and your check engine light will flash the codes. long flashes then short.
if you have two long flashes and then two short - code 22
4 long and 1 short - code 41
there will be a long pause in between codes

does your temp go up when you floor it??
good luck
Old 08-30-2005, 09:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check your radiator cap, Thermostat, if those arent it then try bleeding the cooling system. Also check your oil and coolant to see if there mixing at all
Old 08-30-2005, 09:40 AM

temp is ok when i floor it, but goes up only when i get it over 150 KM/H about 95 MPH, geos back down slowly after i drop it below 140kmh.

The oil and water does not mix, but it does eat oil like no other, a quart or 2 a week. the block and internals have about 7,000 miles on them.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:47 AM

Default Re: (c_riggan)

blown head gasket most likely, have them check your compression that normally would tell you if its blown or not. Could also be worn piston rings but Id say head.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:53 AM

there is something else that nobody would think of, check the suction hose from the radiator (lower hose.) if its worn/old it could collapse at higher rpms, results being obvious.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:50 AM

Mine also did that when i hit about 90 mph it might be the tranny because if its a manual they dont get much cooling. Maybe?
Old 09-05-2005, 04:55 PM

Default Re: (thegrenone)

tranny isnt an issue. The greatest load on an engine occurs in fifth gear, especially wide open. Seein as though your not running forced Induction Ide bet money your head gasket is gone.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:35 PM

Default Re: (crx4life2002)

i have a boosted honda and i had this problem at about 130mph, i had a hole in the boost line going to my fuel pressure regulator, im using some thicker lines now though. just an idea check all your vacuum lines
Old 09-06-2005, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hybrdthry911)

another idea is to remuve your thermostat since your alway driving fast is better not to have one always keep your engine cool.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:44 PM

Default Re: (LLEO245)

I don't know if this would help at all, but does your car have a full or half sized radiator?

I've heard that a good way to top off your coolant fluid and to get the air out is to take off the radiator cap (while the car is cold), start it with the cap off.

And then it'll either start to bubble over or the fan will come on and the level will drop. Have someone else clarify this step for you, as I can't remember right now.

Another thing you can do is start the car, or just after you've driven somewhere, pop the hood and feel the top hose and the bottom hoses of the radiator. They should both be hot.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nota-eg)

if it happens only at high speeds/cruising and not during idle/low speed this is a common problem of a clogged radiator.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:11 AM

slow down, lol
Old 09-07-2005, 02:13 AM

Default Re: (RogueWorks)

I find it funny that your doing 100 mph in europe wouldn't it be more like 160 kph over there. We all know your speeding so just fess up *****. P.s. I call bullshit, but like above remove your theromstat or drill holes around it to help it flow better.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:37 AM

Default Re: (hellshock2182)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hellshock2182 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I find it funny that your doing 100 mph in europe wouldn't it be more like 160 kph over there. We all know your speeding so just fess up *****. P.s. I call bullshit, but like above remove your theromstat or drill holes around it to help it flow better. </TD></TR></TABLE>
youre an idiot, theres no speed limit on the autobahn....how can he speed?

and the only bullshit i see is that its capable of 155mph cuz "German ones are faster"
Old 09-07-2005, 07:34 AM

Default Re: (93ejay1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93ejay1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">youre an idiot, theres no speed limit on the autobahn....how can he speed?

and the only bullshit i see is that its capable of 155mph cuz "German ones are faster"</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually, There ARE speed limits on the autobahn. IIRC, 100kph in the city areas, though there are still areas that are "free zones" where you can go as fast as you want. However I think what he was saying is that he's not actually in germany, and he's just speeding in the US.

And yes, the "German ones are faster" is more than likely BS (I seriously doubt the differences between USDM and German Market Del Sols is THAT great, but I could be wrong.)

Do not Remove your thermostat. Do not drill holes in it. It is engineered to perform a task, and removing or "modifying" it, in this case at least, IS ACTUALLY BAD FOR YOUR ENGINE. The thermostat works as a metering device even when it's wide open. This is to make certain that coolant spends enough time in each part of the cooling system- Enough time in the engine to pick up heat, enough time in the rad. to disperse it. Removing the thremostat has actually caused LOTS of the cases of overheating that i've seen.

My advice- flush your coolant. Use an actual flushing agent. I don't know what's avalible in your area, but just ask at the local parts store. Make certain your new coolant is mixed 50/50. Put in some water wetter with it, as well.

And check the condition of ALL of your hoses- upper and lower rad hoses, as well as heater hoses.

Another option, rather than REMOVING your thermostat, would be putting in a cooler thermoswitch and thermostat. Oh, and make sure that your fans run.

Good luck if you are in germany. If you are in the US, get a freakin radar detector, and be careful.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:38 AM
Suspetise...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93ejay1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and the only bullshit i see is that its capable of 155mph cuz "German ones are faster"</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, 155mph Civic = not gonna happen with a stock engine, no matter how long you hold down the gas.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Rolf)

i want to drive the autobahn one time just for the hell of it
Old 09-07-2005, 07:43 AM
Suspetise...

Default Re: (93egsedan)

Just do it in a car that's capable of going somewhere, not a stock Civic. The beamers and benzes will be bump drafting you just to get you the hell out of their way.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:44 AM

Default Re: (sscguy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sscguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Yeah, 155mph Civic = not gonna happen with a stock engine, no matter how long you hold down the gas.</TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93ejay1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
and the only bullshit i see is that its capable of 155mph cuz "German ones are faster"</TD></TR></TABLE>

Guys hes saying hes going 100mph in his post someone did a conversion to kph a few posts down, and Yes a stock sol can easily do 100mph.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:49 AM

Default Re: (nocturnaldragon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nocturnaldragon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Guys hes saying hes going 100mph in his post someone did a conversion to kph a few posts down, and Yes a stock sol can easily do 100mph.</TD></TR></TABLE>

reading &gt; you<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by c_riggan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It only overheats at higher speeds, I would love to fix this problem, cause she will go to about 155 MPH (German ones are faster).
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 09-07-2005, 07:54 AM
Suspetise...

Yep.
Old 09-10-2005, 07:24 AM

Ok, the 155 is a guess, the speedo only goes to 240KPH, but the needle will go above it, chances are maybe the speedo is off a bit if you say it just cant do it. However, Yes I am in Germany, I say 100 MPH cause most ppl would not understand 160 KPH. And true, there are speed limits on the autobahns, only some sections of the autobahns have no speed limit. Now, when I fix the problem with the overheating (Just get a new radiator and see if that helps) Then I will take a picture of the speedo when it tips the top, and post it here. PS I am speeding(just got a ticket for 145KPH in a 100KPH zone on Autobahn 3, Regensburg), but in Germany, where I am stationed with the Army. And the del sol is actually my wifes car, mine is an Opel Calibra.

Thank you to the people who put forth the effort to help me here. Here is a Pic of the car just after I bought it, the rims have since been taken off, due to my wife hitting something and taking a very nice chunk out of the passenger side rim.

Would it be worth modding the D16 or just swapping it?

Modified by c_riggan at 8:34 AM 9/10/2005
Old 09-10-2005, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (c_riggan)

that thing is clean man.

some people turbo that engine, some peopl do a swap and go NA. some swap and turbo.

that is up to you my friend

Quick Reply: Overheating at 100MPH