Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

overheated, broken timing belt!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 11:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default overheated, broken timing belt!

my ex gfs brother just bought a 93 civic lx. drove about a week then it overheated and died on the exit ramp from the freeway. i took a look at it and the timing belt was broken. digging in it further we notice that the inner timing cover had melted to the block! seems the water pump seized up and she overheated bad. now why he didnt noticed the car smiking and his temp guage goin nuts is beyond me but anyone think this motor is still good? im not sure i wanna bother fixing it. shizz got pretty damn hot although it only has 110k miles the body kinda sucks.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: overheated, broken timing belt!

if overheating destroyed the motor like that, it would have burned off the coolant by boiling and vaporizing it. then you have no liquid in your liquid cooled engine. the temperature gauge would not register a temp and might not show anything was bad.

to do this right you would pull the head to see if a piston hit and bent a valve when the timing belt snapped.

for a basic (unreliable) test, you could put a wrench on the crank and turn it over after installing new crap to see if you feel any resistance. if a valve is bent, you will know when you feel weird grinding and hear metal tearing.
you should install a new timing belt, waterpump, tensioner (to be safe), and get the melted plastics out of the way.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

and if you took your head off to check things out (best) you have to replace the head gasket.

and bleed the cooling system/change oil w/e you do.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Corksil
if overheating destroyed the motor like that, it would have burned off the coolant by boiling and vaporizing it. then you have no liquid in your liquid cooled engine. the temperature gauge would not register a temp and might not show anything was bad.

to do this right you would pull the head to see if a piston hit and bent a valve when the timing belt snapped.

for a basic (unreliable) test, you could put a wrench on the crank and turn it over after installing new crap to see if you feel any resistance. if a valve is bent, you will know when you feel weird grinding and hear metal tearing.
you should install a new timing belt, waterpump, tensioner (to be safe), and get the melted plastics out of the way.
he replaced the radiator thinking that was the problem..the cap melted off the top of the rad. never seen a d series get so hot. im thinkin the head gasket id fudged..well see when the new belt and pump get put on i guess
Old 06-15-2010, 02:24 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Engine is cooked. If it got that hot it'll never be the same, head is most likely warped, rings will be bad. Replace the engine.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If your radiator cap melted, the motor could be destroyed.

I've seen hondas warp heads and crack cylinders and still run for miles.

**** my b16 started up and would idle even after i snapped a rod and blew a hole in the block at high rpm. that sound is forever branded into my brain, i hear it when i fall asleep at night. but my point is the motor still ran.

your friend's might not be destroyed, even tho it has been abused.