Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Over Heating question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Over Heating question.

I own a 1994 Honda Civic DX coupe with a over heating problem. I blew a headgasket in it over 4 years ago from a bad snow when they plowed my car in the drive. I shoveled it out but on the way out of the drive because of a bad incline the bottom radiator hose was torn and lost all my fluid not knowing and drove like like to work and on my way home of course the car over heated. So I fixed the leak also a new head gasket because I was worried I blew it. Well ran fine for about 2 years then had over heating problems. But then it was a bad heater core. So fixed that. Last year started doin it again over heating again. So I installed a new radiator. Everytime I fixed it I installed a new thermostat. It ran fine until today when my wife called (she uses it as a work car) She said the needle is jumping all over. Going to hot then half where its spose to be. Could it be a bad thermostat sticking or is the head shot? Seems everytime I think I have it fix it runs fine for a year as in no overheating problems in such. Not sure if its a thermostat because I install a new one everyitme I fixed something. I thought if the head was bad then it would over heat all the time. Also no fluid loss because I would assume I would have some if it was a bad head. And I just changed the oil last week no signs of a leak. Thanks for any input. Sorry long post.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:32 PM

Default Re: Over Heating question.

Can you physically see its overheating? It could be the coolant temp sensor going outta whack.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:40 PM
gwl
Honda-Tech Member

Also, you should check if the radiator fan is turning on. My fan was not turning on because of a bad fan sensor switch at the thermostat housing.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:53 PM

I`ll check those sensors out first thing. My wife was driving it home today and she said on the freeway it was fine but when she hit rush hour and almost slowed to a stop the problem started. She said the gauge was jumping from hot to normal. I`m just hoping its not the head. Been saving for a nice CR-X or an EG. Thanks guys hope I get this fixed.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:05 PM

usually cars have a tendency to overheat more in bumper to bumper traffic. see if you have any coolant leaking at all and check that sensor!
Old 09-26-2009, 09:34 AM

Well no fluid loss. So jumped the fan sensor and yup, it wasn`t turning on. So have to order one. Thanks guys for all the input. What a relief it wasn`t the head.