Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Over Heating Issue!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Over Heating Issue!

Hey all! I recently bought a 98 civic coupe EX with a stock motor d16y8. I only test drove it for 15 minutes, so didn't know it over heated . I have my old 96 civic DX as a parts car now, kinda why i bought this one. So i thought to myself no problem just replace thermostat, radiator, radiator cap, flush, new coolant and burped her for about an hour and it seemed to take care of the problem until today? I drove to work (about 10 mins.) no over heating until i went out for break, started her up, turned the A/C on and chilled for about 10 mins. Happen to look at the Temp. needle and its past half way almost 3/4s where it shouldn't be! Now it was about 95 degrees out today and very humid but you would still think it shouldn't over heat right? So i popped the hood and checked the radiator reservoir and its passed the max line! It wasn't prior to this over heating issue. I dumped some out onto the ground and went back into work. Once i got home i check the tank again and the reservoir was about empty except about 2 inches on the bottom which was kinda smokey colored, milky, murky? What ever you wanna call it. Now i know that is a result of cracked, ripped, torn head gasket but what is funny is that i just did a compression test 2 days ago and got (from left to right) 150,150,170,170? seems like ok numbers? or bad head gasket? I dunno i am new to this honda-tech but have alot of experience with cars but this one i am stumped. Help me out! Thanks
Old 07-07-2013, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Over Heating Issue!

Your problems are EXACTLY like mine. I only test drove my DX for 10 minutes and it showed no signs of overheating. For 2 months I drove like that since it was only from school-work-home for 5 minutes each commute. I did everything else I could and knocked down every other problem before doing a headgasket change and once the exhaust was pouring white smoke 24/7. Once I changed the headgasket, everything turned out fine and has been fine since, another problem could be a water pump so I changed that along with the tensioner and belt.

Also, you didn't mention if the fan was ever spinning.
Is the oil milky? check the dipstick and the oil cap.

Here's my writeup for head gasket change in another thread:
Originally Posted by CO671
When I first got my Civic 2 years ago as a 16 year old who didn't know much about cars, I threw out $3,000 and got it anyways.
1 week later, the headgasket and overheating started showing and I didn't have the cash or wanted to ask my parents so knowing nothing other than changing motor oil and coolant, I did research and in changed the headgasket myself.

I can't recall the overall price but you'll need essential tools:
Socket and wrench set (I got a $75 Craftsman set from Kmart)
Torque Wrench ($40)
Breaker Bar ($20)
Haynes Manual ($20)
Gasket set (headgasket, intake manifold gasket, exhaust manifold gasket) ~$100 around
Oil, filter, Coolant, etc; $40-$100
Already had a jack and stands
Rough estimate of tools (that will always be used in other occasions) and parts: $400
Basically around $200 in parts

Align motor to TDC
Drained the oil, coolant, removed the manifolds off the head.
(put headbolts in certain order so you know which thread they came out of)
Using the correct cross pattern to remove the headbolts
Removed head, cleaned it thoroughly, took it to a machine shop that leveled/resurfaced it for $40 overnight.
Rough estimate of labor: $40

Put everything back together re-using the headbolts in the correct order w/ torque wrench, (DONT FORGET THE DOWEL PINS)
Coolant, oil put in, fired it up.

I'm pretty sure that's all that was necessary I mentioned, apologies if there's any misinformation.
The shop costs alone are averaged $600-$900 for a headgasket change.

There are many Headgasket DIY tutorials on Honda-Tech, ClubCivic, all over the internet so Google would be a great companion, check them out.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Symptoms indicate possible head gasket issue... Compression test isn't the best test for diagnosing a head gasket issue. I would pressure test cooling system and test for combustion gases. Anytime you see that milkshake sludge, that is an indication of oil and water/coolant mixing...
Old 07-08-2013, 04:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Definitely looks like a headgasket issue (hoping you don't need a new head - had a cracked head once). You don't wanna let it ride for too long. Coolant doesn't lubricate as well as the oil, so you're putting your engine at risk as long as you run it like that.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey guys thanks for all your replies. I didn't get to work on the cooling issue today because i had to install new rear drum brakes for inspection coming up and boy did that suck! Had a lug nut stud strip in the back and just keep turning took me 4 hours to get it off after drilling, heating, etc. lol So i did forget to tell you guys that their is no milky oil, or milky gunk in the oil cap, and def. no white smoke. Not even sweet smell from the exhaust? I also forgot to add that my radiator fan did kick on that day at work and kept going and going as it got hotter so i shut the car off. I drove the car today about 20 minutes while beating it a lot and no signs of overheating today? Just confused and stumped do not know what it could be but i guess i could try that pressure test like spokane suggested. If anyone knows a little more info now that i added some more info let me know please, and thank you!!!
Old 07-08-2013, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Does this car have the little air bleeder bolt up on the top of the return hose fitting? (looks like a nut with a pointed top and hole drilled in it)

Did you run the heater full on with the nose parked uphill idling?

Just suggesting that any trapped air can play heck with you - these cooling systems are Tiny and small problems seem to magnify!

Cheers.