Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

OTD's racing coupe build

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OTD's racing coupe build

I am from Jamaica ( now living in Grand Cayman) where motorsports is huge in all forms, drag,circuit,karting,rally. I karted for many years and I also raced circuit, now I want to follow through on my dream to rally.
So here is my build. The car is a 94 eg coupe that I got for $400US, it came iwth a D15 auto. It also had it rims stolen,lol, steelies. So here is how it stands as is.

So my first plan was to get a real motor, I was searching online and found plenty of options but shipping costs and all would drive the costs up way too much. I plan on using a b16, now I know alot of ppl will say why not a b18 or b20 with vtec head but inorder to participate in the class I want to I cant go above 1600cc.

Luckily for me,unlucky for him, a guy carshed his 00 Si 3 weeks ago and I got it from him for $1200US. It came with a type R gearbox and apparently the valvetrain is crower, havent had a chance to open motor and look as yet.

First thing I did was scrap the wreck, take out motor,harness, suspension,brakes etc.

This week I plan to scrap the donor shell and start prepping it. I plan to lighten as much as possible and seam weld for rigiditya nd strengthening. Also install a cage etc. Will post pics as work goes and appreciate any comments or suggestions.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OTD's racing coupe build

I'll keep my eye on your build.Good luck brah with your build.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Gonna keep an eye on this one, good luck! lotsa pics!!!!!
Old 03-18-2012, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Was planning today to go scrap the donor shell but it was too hot, did get some stuff that I ordered though, noting like new parts to make you smile. Ordered from Velocity Shop in Florida, great prices and real efficient.

Also a pic of some interior stuff, want to use the Si cluster in the EG or may use a digital dash.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Quick update, got some more new parts,will post pics soon. Haven't had a chance to work on car yet as I switched jobs and need to find somewhere to put car now while I build her as cant keep at shop anymore. Hopefullly I will have this sorted in the next few weeks and get back to making my toy. Stay Tuned.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Good build so far!

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/99-si-cluster-my-93-eg-%2Apics%2A-2738715/

That will help with how to do the Si Cluster in your EG (in case you didn't know already.)

If you change your mind, I have a gsr cluster Ill trade you for your Si
Old 04-22-2012, 03:12 AM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Cool build. In for later.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its been a while, havent abandoned project just nowhere to work on it, cleaned up motor and gearbox exterior this weekend and put in storage. Going to try and scrap the car in next few weeks at a friends work yard and and get on seam welding. Will post pics as soon as progress happens...... Rome wasn't buitln in a day they say.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A buddy of mine has loaned me some space at his house and i have started the scrapping and cleaning of shell. Have come across a few rust spots but the bodyshop guys will rectify that in due time.

have taken everything out of interiro and luckily the sound deadening just lifted off. Plant o remove suspension and engine this weekend so the seam welding can begin.

Was gonna cage it but have come across an issue, no one makes a good cage for the EG coupe.I have spoken to Custom Cages in England and they make one for the hatch which the front section is the same and I wwould have them send longer rear legs and I cut to fit.
Attached Images   
Old 09-25-2012, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

good luck. i'm surprised the motor and transmission are still good after being shifted so far.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by kyden
good luck. i'm surprised the motor and transmission are still good after being shifted so far.
I was a little concerned as well when I first looked on it,but only apparent damage is the AEM crank pulley it had on broke and the oil pan got torn. Have already replaced oil pan with a Mugen baffled pan and the bottom end looked clean.The pulley I will replace with OEM probably.

I plan on changing all the gaskets and seals,water pump and possible oil pump before fitting so will give it a thorough look over at that time.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OTDRacing
my dream to rally.
The car is a 94 eg coupe that I got for $400US,
good job on the build, but why would you buy a eg to rally? you've heard of subaru right? lol. I love honda, but in rally car world, Subaru is top notch for a reason.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by redm3turbo
good job on the build, but why would you buy a eg to rally? you've heard of subaru right? lol. I love honda, but in rally car world, Subaru is top notch for a reason.
I was actually a mechanic for Subaru Rally Team Jamaica and I love them immensely however, they are not cheap to run. They require 3 diffs as compared to one on a Honda, destroy types a lot quicker due to 4wd and the older versions with 5 speed gearbox are prone to destroying the boxes.

Also Jamaica has quite a few ex WRC cars and my budget doesn't allow me to compete with them so for now I will stick with a 2wd reliable Honda that will at least finish the race because you can't win if you don't finish.

In the US Subaru is top notch maybe but in the rest of the world Ford and Citroen are the dominators.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good start, will check in for future updates. Looks interesting.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well things have come to a halt.. After scrapping the cahsis down we found a major rust section on drivers side where a pillar meeats firewall. completedly rusted away. Also found damage from previous accident on left front chassis leg. Repairing the rust spot iwll be ridiculous and more sio, I am concerned about the safety of vehicle after that, espcially since it will be rallied, the pounding and abuse it will endure will be great.

So right now I am taking a break and seeing if I find a btter replacement chassis. . Dream postponed for a few more months again.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:34 AM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Id seriously crack open that tranny and look at it.
After a collision like that it just makes good sense to open it up.
I know the drivers side shaft didnt survive and the oil residue on the case screams seals just for starters.
Sorry the chassis wasnt up to par but you'll find another im sure