Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Ordering B16A in a week and would like help on which direction i should take it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Ordering B16A in a week and would like help on which direction i should take it?

This will be my first build. By no means am i a mechanic but I will be purchasing a B16A from hmotorsonline in a couple of weeks. I really just wanted some tips on which direction to take it. Go boost or all motor and maybe some steps to take to get max production. Any advice is welcome. Def learning as i go.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Re: Ordering B16A in a week and would like help on which direction i should take it?

save a little more and get a gsr to start with, if you are going to build you could probably get one somewhere else for cheaper. I got my b16a from Hmotorsonline in 2003 100k + and still going strong with no oil burning. Hmotors has good engines, but if you are going to build it's not worth the premium they charge for there swaps

gl
Old 02-02-2012, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Ordering B16A in a week and would like help on which direction i should take it?

Keep reading and just save up longer. The B16 sounds like a good engine, but if you're looking for power, you either need to boost or get more displacement. As much as you'd spend building it, you'd be better off getting a GSR or ITR engine, or better yet, a Prelude or TSX engine.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by egsleepercivic
save a little more and get a gsr to start with, if you are going to build you could probably get one somewhere else for cheaper. I got my b16a from Hmotorsonline in 2003 100k + and still going strong with no oil burning. Hmotors has good engines, but if you are going to build it's not worth the premium they charge for there swaps

gl
Agreed. HMO is a great company, but there are a lot of B16 blocks for sale on this site and Craigslist. As long as you have a good block, crank and head, and you get the cam and crank caps, you're golden. Find something that has a blown head gasket, burns oil, etc and get it real cheap. You should bore .5mm over and surface the block and head just as standard procedure
Old 02-02-2012, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Appreciate the advice. Ill def be doing my research and saving a little longer before i make my final decision. I love the fact that from hmotors you know you are getting a quality motor with low miles.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No need for the almighty GSR!!! Unless you are wanting high numbers. I would get the b16 like you said...slap some ARP head studs in and a conservative turbo kit on it with a good tune...making around 275 (give or take 20)

It's a first build and this set up would be plenty fun and reliable.

My .02cents.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hannslebo
No need for the almighty GSR!!! Unless you are wanting high numbers. I would get the b16 like you said...slap some ARP head studs in and a conservative turbo kit on it with a good tune...making around 275 (give or take 20)

It's a first build and this set up would be plenty fun and reliable.

My .02cents.
agreed the GSR is soft go with b16 do a little work and go burn some **** *** mustangs
Old 02-02-2012, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Deej23
Appreciate the advice. Ill def be doing my research and saving a little longer before i make my final decision. I love the fact that from hmotors you know you are getting a quality motor with low miles.
let me put it this way for you i agree with everyone save more to get a better motor..

a B16A is just like a D sereis until you get into VTEC and than its not that impressive it is for the first month because you have a nicer motor get a B18C swap my B18B1 integra beat a B16A2
Old 02-02-2012, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Wrona
let me put it this way for you i agree with everyone save more to get a better motor..

a B16A is just like a D sereis until you get into VTEC and than its not that impressive it is for the first month because you have a nicer motor get a B18C swap my B18B1 integra beat a B16A2
In my last car - 95 coupe jdm b16 w/ IHE...I beat 2 GSR's (6th gens, same mods except one didn't have a header) back to back at AMS 1/8th mile track...

Maybe its driver...but comparing a race doesn't really help...too many factors...driver/weight/engine health
Old 02-02-2012, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OP didn't ever specify what he was looking for in a motor. Does he want more bottom end to just get going easier, more top end to pass on the interstate, just kinda all around pep, or what. I think everything other than mentioning the B20 has been done here and there's little more relevant to the topic to add.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

he just asked for a direction.

if you already bought the b16a then boost. go to the FI section and read up.

if not buy an h22a and a b16a/b18c5 tranny and tear **** up. be the same or less then the b16 engine itself.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:47 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I hate these "help my spend my money" threads. OP has no idea what he plans to do with the engine, or even what he will end up buying.

And boost or all motor? You have no clue what it takes to go either route. All the responses you get are just a waste of time unless you have a goal. I can say "Go boost." then your next question is "What do I need to go boost?". If I say all motor then you're asking what would be the "best" all motor setup.

WTF is "max production"? And do you even know how you picked a gutless B16A to purchase?

Do some research so you aren't wasting anyone's time.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Asking questions is a method of learning. You didn't just know everything about everything you have to learn! but def thanx Grumblemarc but buddy told me you are very knowlegable so ill accept your criticism

Last edited by Former User; 02-06-2012 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Post clean up
Old 02-03-2012, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

V6 swap and call it day.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Deej23
How about you don't waste my time and post on my thread! Asking questions is a method of learning. You didn't just know everything about everything you have to learn! but def thanx Grumblemarc but buddy told me you are very knowlegable so ill accept your criticism
diffrance is he didnt post "Please spoon feed the me threads" like most of the old memebers on the site everyone searched before they said something this isn't the 90's where these cars are still new its 2012 you know that pretty much everything has been covered? there is no excuse for creating a useless thread

everything is out there and if you would actually apply yourself you would find it within a minute of your time so don't bs that you want to learn because you could of without making a sh*tty thread
Old 02-03-2012, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

op...like I said get a b16 like YOU wanted and just do a mild turbo setup..cheap reliable and plenty of power for a first time build. If u want more later go ls v

Last edited by Former User; 02-06-2012 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Post clean up
Old 02-03-2012, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Wrona
diffrance is he didnt post "Please spoon feed the me threads" like most of the old memebers on the site everyone searched before they said something this isn't the 90's where these cars are still new its 2012 you know that pretty much everything has been covered? there is no excuse for creating a useless thread

everything is out there and if you would actually apply yourself you would find it within a minute of your time so don't bs that you want to learn because you could of without making a sh*tty thread
Old 02-03-2012, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you're just going to get " oh go lsv" or "yea go gsr" or " go h2b and boost" and i can keep going on forever. the point is everyone has diff option's and choose diff route's noone will ever know what's good for you but yourself and if you want opinion's den you can go to the search and look up other pplz that has made threads like this and got locked so you wont have to make one and get bashed onget it locked and clutter up the boards. good luck
Old 02-03-2012, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ooh and since r thread says b16 just go with it cuz obviously that was ur first choice .....just have it in ur car swaped den from there u can see wat u wanna do...becuase right now u just got hopes and dreams
Old 02-03-2012, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by flmzero13
ooh and since r thread says b16 just go with it cuz obviously that was ur first choice .....just have it in ur car swaped den from there u can see wat u wanna do...becuase right now u just got hopes and dreams
Preciate it! Def getting the motor is the first step and ill be doing my research and searching what is the best setup for me and the goals I intend on reaching
Old 02-03-2012, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

right now and forever.

grumble and wrona make a point. if you REALLY wanted to learn anything you would have done so.
google b16a. google honda. google turbo/na. might want to actually figure out WHAT it is your doing first. but i mean if youre just going to be looking down the pipe of the dream without any follow through who cares right?

you know how many where should i go? what should i build? what should i swap? what should i (insert anything)? threads there are? theres a reason these are annoying. at least 20 a week. minimum. with maybe 1 follow through a month.

its all been done and recorded basically. if you want turbo go into the FI sub section and look at dynos and how they got there(usually they have a parts list.) if you want NA go to the all motor sub section and there's another dyno thread just like FI's. if that doesn't help you out then youre basically screwed.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Red_Army
right now and forever.

grumble and wrona make a point. if you REALLY wanted to learn anything you would have done so.
google b16a. google honda. google turbo/na. might want to actually figure out WHAT it is your doing first. but i mean if youre just going to be looking down the pipe of the dream without any follow through who cares right?

you know how many where should i go? what should i build? what should i swap? what should i (insert anything)? threads there are? theres a reason these are annoying. at least 20 a week. minimum. with maybe 1 follow through a month.

its all been done and recorded basically. if you want turbo go into the FI sub section and look at dynos and how they got there(usually they have a parts list.) if you want NA go to the all motor sub section and there's another dyno thread just like FI's. if that doesn't help you out then youre basically screwed.
This Guy!
Old 02-03-2012, 02:32 PM
Crazy Honda Guy

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I would take a B20Z engine swap, stock for stock against a B16A any day of the week...i speak from extensive experience. Cost should be about the same
Old 02-03-2012, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree with Deetz, for the price you can't go wrong with a B20.

What are you expecting out of the car? That would actually help a lot with a decision.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:21 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If we're playing the "what if" game I'd go H2B and pretty much crush any B-series out there.

Last edited by grumblemarc; 02-03-2012 at 03:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Ordering B16A in a week and would like help on which direction i should take it?