Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

opinions on what should be done about my exhaust dilemma...

Old 11-15-2003, 07:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default opinions on what should be done about my exhaust dilemma...

Ok, I have a 96 dx hatch that is about to get a b18b swap. i know 100% that im going to be turbocharging this bitch within the next 2-3 months. here is my problem. the stock muffler on my dx has rotted away and left me with only the piping from the cat back. Do I a.) go with a 3" catback like a thermal or ktellers custom piping and just get it made to fit the stock b18b header, then have it refit to bolt on to the downpipe or b.) just hold out and get the stock piping to somehow fit and put some kind of blingin muffler untill i actually go turbo, then go with the exhaust i want? I also am unsure of what to do with my cat. any opinions on that would be appreciated too.

so guys, what should I do? if i do the 3" exhaust im going to need to order it within the next few days so i can get this swap in over thanksgiving break.
Old 11-15-2003, 08:02 AM

Default Re: opinions on what should be done about my exhaust dilemma... (krnbk2)

My man, I'm in the SAME situation as you. I got this car with a b18c swap ready to go in. I know that I'm going to be turboing it. What I found is that you should just get the thing out of the way and buy the exhaust you're gonna be set on.

Get a catback, and a high flow cat for right now (get both that will work with turbo), and basically just knee grow rig it to work right now. When you get your turbo downpipe and all, if you need to... have someone custom fit it.

I also plan to get my swap in on Thanksgiving break.
Old 11-15-2003, 08:04 AM

Default Re: opinions on what should be done about my exhaust dilemma... (95DXPhiladeph)

thats what i figured, i guess what ill try to do is get a cat thats flanged on both sides this way i can always bolt it up to the downpipe when the time comes. thanks for your responce
Old 11-15-2003, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: opinions on what should be done about my exhaust dilemma... (krnbk2)

Here's what I'm going to do with mine... I know it's a little off-color, but I guess it makes sense to me.

First, I have a B18C1 in a '92 VX. I have a Spoon N1 system on it, and the car will be turbocharged around new years. I'm going to stick with the N1 on the street (where speed isn't as important), then when I goto the track, I'm going to have a side-exit downpipe made. So I can leave the exhaust on the car, but just change the downpipe.
Old 11-15-2003, 08:12 AM

Default Re: opinions on what should be done about my exhaust dilemma... (Quik Chris)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Quik Chris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Here's what I'm going to do with mine... I know it's a little off-color, but I guess it makes sense to me.

First, I have a B18C1 in a '92 VX. I have a Spoon N1 system on it, and the car will be turbocharged around new years. I'm going to stick with the N1 on the street (where speed isn't as important), then when I goto the track, I'm going to have a side-exit downpipe made. So I can leave the exhaust on the car, but just change the downpipe.</TD></TR></TABLE>

something like this wont work for me because my car is going to be daily driven. so i need a solution that will stay on the car 24/7. im also trying to find the most cost effective way to do this. thanks anyway
Old 11-15-2003, 08:12 AM

Default Re: opinions on what should be done about my exhaust dilemma... (Quik Chris)

made perfect sense.... truthfully thats a good plan... alot of weekend-track buddies of mine do the same...

downpipe only takes em like 5 mins cuz they change it like its their job...

just make sure when you leave the track you got your street-legal downpipe on... cuz my friends got lazy one weekend and it happened to be the day they got pulled over... ticket fees were crazy
Old 11-15-2003, 08:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It all depends on if you can deal with the changes on sound level and power loss while running the 3" on the n/a set-up. Personally I can't so I would go either put some cheap replacement muffler on it (waiting for the turbo then get exhaust) or go with a 2.5" exhaust and leave that on when the turbo is installed.

If you're set on the 3" I'd go with Kteller's set-up, it is by far a better deal and it works great. Besides I'm biased...I'll never buy a thermal r&d product again after my last experience with them. Plus with the Kteller set-up you can choose what resonator and muffer you want to use. Choices
Old 11-15-2003, 08:55 AM

Default Re: opinions on what should be done about my exhaust dilemma... (BROOD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BROOD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It all depends on if you can deal with the changes on sound level and power loss while running the 3" on the n/a set-up. Personally I can't so I would go either put some cheap replacement muffler on it (waiting for the turbo then get exhaust) or go with a 2.5" exhaust and leave that on when the turbo is installed.

If you're set on the 3" I'd go with Kteller's set-up, it is by far a better deal and it works great. Besides I'm biased...I'll never buy a thermal r&d product again after my last experience with them. Plus with the Kteller set-up you can choose what resonator and muffer you want to use. Choices </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea i hear ya. I wonder how much louder a 3" exhaust would be compared to my stock piping without a muffler. (because thats what im dealing with now, and believe it or not ive gotten used to it) I think im probably going to just ghetto rig my original piping with some sort of cheapo muffler. then just go with ktellers setup. my only concern is finding a decent shop who can weld this exhaust properly. oh well. thanks for the replies!