Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Opinions: JRSC + 2000 DX

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2003, 05:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions: JRSC + 2000 DX

I don't have a "real" project car. The car I've been working on is my wifes 2000 Civic DX Sedan. It has an automatic and it's reletively pedestrian (slow in Laments terms). Aside from bolt-on's, I was wondering if I should actually go through with trying to aquire a supercharger for our car. Mind you this is not a race car, and I've had visions of also doing a head package or a cam from Gude. I want the car to have more "go" and a JRSC seems like a good route. Juice is not an option. Let the flood gates open.
Old 11-28-2003, 05:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Opinions: JRSC + 2000 DX (Guam_CiviC619)

the last thing I would ever do is drop a jrsc into an auto dx civic. then again, I'd never buy a jrsc anyway.
Old 11-28-2003, 05:50 AM

Default Re: Opinions: JRSC + 2000 DX (DragII)

Ive driven two JRSC'd cars, and the torque is amazing. If you want some "go" that may be one of the easiest ways, but not the most cost effective.
Old 11-28-2003, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Opinions: JRSC + 2000 DX (BMac86)

It's all based on cost. Buy a used JRSC kit. They come around $1,000-$1,500 for almost everything. All the bolt-on's are there already.

Or you could get a nice snail that's gives you low down grunt for probably the same cost and maybe a little bit more.

Or you could just swap a 2.2L in there.

Again it's all about what you can afford, find and prefer.
Old 11-28-2003, 06:10 PM

Default Re: Opinions: JRSC + 2000 DX (funky_cornbread)

Cost effective wise I'm willing to boost it via Jackson Racing. IMHO a swap would be unfeaseable because the need for more speed and the price tag that goes with it (adding bolt on's to a swap, etc.). Turboing was a consideration, but a number of factors have persuded me otherwise, such as, cost of making everything work right, to include the price of the turbo itself and tuning. Nitrous was a consideration at one point but I deemed at as unsuitable for our needs. In my opinion a new JRSC would be a good choice because of price, "instant" boost creating power along the entire RPM range (including the low-end where this car needs it most), and with supercharger, I think the engine could be tweaked out of a little more performance. Ex. upgrade pulley, fuel system upgrades (if needed), additional tuning, etc. I know a lot of people have JRSC on HT, most of them on B series engines though with standard tranny's. I am also curious as to see how our car would respond under FI with the slushbox. More opinions please. Is there anyone out there who can chime in on a supercharged DX auto? DragII please explain why you would not want a JRSC. Once again I'm not looking for 13 sec timeslips, this car will probably never see the strip. Thx for the responses.
Old 11-28-2003, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Opinions: JRSC + 2000 DX (DragII)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DragII &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the last thing I would ever do is drop a jrsc into an auto dx civic. then again, I'd never buy a jrsc anyway.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah just go turbo just like everyone that sells those things for!
Old 11-28-2003, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You're going to spend the same amount of money either way, Supercharger or Turbo. Which ever way you do it just do it right ie fuel upgrades and some way to tune it all. Your setup will last a lot longer that way. A small turbo kit like the greddy starts to boost at around 22 0r 2300. The always on of the supercharger as in no lag is always a plus but its all in what you like. I personally would go turbo but again thats what I like. Superchargers on cars that start with a lot of power already is a different story like an m3 or most v8's.

On the other hand you could do a b16 and have more dependable power that will probably last you longer and it would be cheaper. Again its all in what you like.
Old 11-28-2003, 07:58 PM

Default Re: (fishnfst)

I have had a JRSC on a gsr swap in a civic. I will NEVER buy another supercharger. They are good for nothing but detonation. I would really consider going with a turbo set up. I wish I would have done that the first time, it would have saved me a bundle. Good luck.
Old 11-28-2003, 08:01 PM

Default Re: (boostedbastard)

Supercharging a SOHC is a waste of money, unless u get a kit very very cheap, DON"T Do it. + u will kill your automatic real fast, ur going to have to buy a automatic tranny cooler, i wanted to SC My automatiC D16y7 (DX) as well. It's a waste of money, if u want to keep the car, put a nice Greddy Kit on it, The new 96-00 Kits are sweet and come with e Manage Keep it under 7 psi and ur auto will be fine, put a automatic cooler and a oil cooler and u can take 10 psi. 10 Psi isn't bad on a automatic, it's kinda quick.
Old 11-28-2003, 09:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for the amount of money u pay for a JRSC you could get a nice b16 swap and still be faster than a SC D16
Old 12-02-2003, 07:43 AM

Default Re: (boostedbastard)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostedbastard &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have had a JRSC on a gsr swap in a civic. I will NEVER buy another supercharger. They are good for nothing but detonation. I would really consider going with a turbo set up. I wish I would have done that the first time, it would have saved me a bundle. Good luck.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What kind of ignition were you running and what type of engine management did you have, if any?

As for the the other comments, they are appreciated. I did not consider a Greddy Turbo Kit til now because of my prior knowledge of Greddy not having one for our particular model. The Greddy kit now "seems" like a solid choice for a FI power adder considering the kit comes with (correct me if I'm wrong) the e-manage and upgraded fuel injectors and you can also upgrade the kit with a FM intercooler. Anyone know how much DX fuel systems can support in terms of horsepower. I.E. "the fuel rail is good for 200 + or -", "fuel pump is good for...", etc.? Once again thank you for posting useful comments.
Old 12-02-2003, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Opinions: JRSC + 2000 DX (Guam_CiviC619)

i say go with the JRSC.i had one on my Z6 when they first came out.it certainly wasn't fast,but it did have torque at ANY RPM and was fun to drive.perfect for what you're wanting to do.i would do some research first though on how much abuse the auto tranny will handle.
chris