Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

opinion on a h22 swap in a sol?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default opinion on a h22 swap in a sol?

So I recently found a h22 by me in great condition, was pulled out of a sol and has some low mileage.

My issues holding me back:

-Is it realy that heavy?

-Am I gonna realy throw off my balance? (Tein's all around, lowered)

-How is a h22 in comparison to a b18? Quicker, more torque?

-How hard to swap in
Old 10-03-2007, 08:26 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: opinion on a h22 swap in a sol? (k0rupt_ed)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by k0rupt_ed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So I recently found a h22 by me in great condition, was pulled out of a sol and has some low mileage.

My issues holding me back:

-Is it realy that heavy?

-Am I gonna realy throw off my balance? (Tein's all around, lowered)

-How is a h22 in comparison to a b18? Quicker, more torque?

-How hard to swap in</TD></TR></TABLE>

30 more LBS than a B series

Your suspension probably isnt tuned anyway

H22s will rip any stock B18 a new one

Not very hard. But you have to get special mounts. Not sure about wiring issues. Shift linkage is of a different type. So some cutting is involved.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you for the speedy reply

No my suspension isn't tuned, there tein basics that came with the car, probaly gonna have to do some suspension work if I do get this engine though.

I like

Special mounts? Hasport have em? What kind of cutting do you mean?
Old 10-03-2007, 08:53 AM

Default Re: (k0rupt_ed)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by k0rupt_ed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thank you for the speedy reply

No my suspension isn't tuned, there tein basics that came with the car, probaly gonna have to do some suspension work if I do get this engine though.

I like

Special mounts? Hasport have em? What kind of cutting do you mean? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Hasport does sell them. So do other places. just make sure you get good mounts or you'll have vibrations and driveline problems all the time. Hasport mounts are generally very good. I think they sell them in different grades of polyurethane...so you can get softer ones and not have the really annoying mount vibrations and noises. I hate that **** lol.

You have to cut the shifter hole in the floor...and i THINK in the firewall. I've helped put a motor in the chassis, but never stuck around for the details.

Just remember, you'll most likely lose AC and power steering.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:05 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (B serious)

You're suspension won't need much more tweaking than if it had a b-swap. You might want to get stiffer rates up front if anything, buy again 30lbs isn't that much. It's really that the engine might be placed more aft of the usual location, so more weight towards the radiator.

Have you considered h2b? You can shave ~10-15lbs, maintain stock axle placement and weight distribution. It has all the plus sides of an h22 and more. Better gearing, shift linkage instead of cables, more aftermarket support for the tranny, and can be done for about the same price.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ek forever guy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Hasport does sell them. So do other places. just make sure you get good mounts or you'll have vibrations and driveline problems all the time. Hasport mounts are generally very good. I think they sell them in different grades of polyurethane...so you can get softer ones and not have the really annoying mount vibrations and noises. I hate that **** lol.

You have to cut the shifter hole in the floor...and i THINK in the firewall. I've helped put a motor in the chassis, but never stuck around for the details.

Just remember, you'll most likely lose AC and power steering. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Shifter Holes no biggie, firewall might be a little more..
lol I don't have powersteering to begin with, not a problem and AC, I live in new york
it gets hot but not unbearable like out west. Taking the top off is enough for me in the summer.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You're suspension won't need much more tweaking than if it had a b-swap. You might want to get stiffer rates up front if anything, buy again 30lbs isn't that much. It's really that the engine might be placed more aft of the usual location, so more weight towards the radiator.

Have you considered h2b? You can shave ~10-15lbs, maintain stock axle placement and weight distribution. It has all the plus sides of an h22 and more. Better gearing, shift linkage instead of cables, more aftermarket support for the tranny, and can be done for about the same price.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

No I haven't I heard about the h2b, the reason I'm looking at the h22 is because its available at a fairly good deal.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

holy **** mounts for a del sol for a h22 are 600 bucks!?
Old 10-03-2007, 12:39 PM

Default Re: opinion on a h22 swap in a sol? (k0rupt_ed)

Put a K series in it, you will be much happier in the end.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:49 PM
im hench irl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: opinion on a h22 swap in a sol? (RSXer210)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RSXer210 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Put a K series in it, you will be much happier in the end.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What does the k-series have to do with the OP's topic? The OP didn't list a k-series engine as one of his options or any option. Don't post irrelevant bullshit like that again. It's only your second post, don't make an *** out of yourself.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^thank you.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by k0rupt_ed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">^thank you.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've been looking at this lately too, and one of the posts I found googling said that you CAN keep the AC with a H22 (Critical for me, I live in Phoenix), and you can keep the PS but you would have to relocate a couple things for that.

Most everyone I've seen still recommends a built B series instead of an H (or K), unless you have insane $$$.

John
Old 10-03-2007, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ek forever guy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> isn't that much. It's really that the engine might be placed more aft of the usual location, so more weight towards the radiator.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just a question: aft is towards the rear, so how would you get more weight towards the radiator if you move the engine further back?

John
Old 10-03-2007, 01:17 PM

Default Re: opinion on a h22 swap in a sol? (esco562)

Just making a suggestion. I would prefer a K series over the H22 for a couple of reasons. No doubt the H22 would be great in there, but later on he may want more power then have to swap again. So if he just started out with a K then I would think he would be happier. But really I dont know his entire situation or how much money he wants to put into his car. Its just my opinion, and something he might want to consider, im not trying to prove anyone wrong, sorry if it sounded that way.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

and where am i getting 6 grand for a k dude?

Anyone give me some info on the h22 tranny? how is it?
Old 10-03-2007, 01:30 PM

H22 tranny is pretty good, but if your looking to buy one and dont have one the F series tranny will work also.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by k0rupt_ed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and where am i getting 6 grand for a k dude?

Anyone give me some info on the h22 tranny? how is it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Take a look in the hybrid forum. They have a lot on the H22 and the H2B options.

John
Old 10-03-2007, 05:44 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by k0rupt_ed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and where am i getting 6 grand for a k dude?

Anyone give me some info on the h22 tranny? how is it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's geared a lot like the GSR. The H22 has torque..so it's not that big of a deal.

If you buy the H2B kit like ekforeverjerk (jk jk) suggested, then you can slap a B16 or ITR trans on there. B series transmissions have tons of ring and pinion combos for great gearing. But I think a B16 or ITR trans with a torque heavy H22 would make for a very fun, fast, tire spinning time.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for all the responses guys I relly appreciate the speediness of em.

Hopefully this turns out for the best, Ill update if I get it or not.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:46 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1998426