Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Opinion on driving lights.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinion on driving lights.

do yall think these would look right on a coupe? i need more light output because i downgraded from HID to stock and i need something to makeup for the loss. i dont like the stock foglights because they're not gonna be bright enough for me. does anyone else run other auxilary, fog, or driving lights besides stock foglights? pictures?

Old 05-11-2005, 09:49 PM
most hood white kid

im sure the light output will be fine, but it will look funny to me. and what year model coupe?
Old 05-11-2005, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (egcoupe94)

PM JDMlyfestyle. If you like the oem fog light look hell make those ******* shine.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:31 PM

Default Re: (Luserkid)

I'm thinking something like this would look hella kewl on a civic.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:52 PM

Default Re: (Aphelion)

yeah pm JDMlifestyles that food will make your fog lights turn into hid foglights
Old 05-11-2005, 11:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i think some driving lights would look nice really tucked deep into the bumper... almost hiddenin the day
Old 05-11-2005, 11:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (DohcSide)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DohcSide &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah pm JDMlifestyles that food will make your fog lights turn into hid foglights </TD></TR></TABLE>

i think he sells them for $350 or so for the is300 retro fit eg fog lights

look for his sale thread
Old 05-12-2005, 12:38 AM
most hood white kid

JDMlyfestyle can retrofit just about anything.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:09 AM

Default Re: Opinion on driving lights. (tca0bell)

Whatcha need bro? I got what you want. you want a 1/4 1/2? come on make up ur mind.. LOL jk

I do custom retrofits. IS 300 foglights in your OEM housing makes the OEM foglights look like ****!

Old 05-12-2005, 05:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by egcoupe94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im sure the light output will be fine, but it will look funny to me. and what year model coupe?</TD></TR></TABLE>

But driving lights are illegal to use with the low beams, and the first time you blind a cop with them, you'll find out in a hurry. They come with a relay to shut them off with the low beams, like the OEM fogs turn off with the high beams.

Old 05-12-2005, 05:43 AM

Driving lights are no big deal around here
Old 05-12-2005, 05:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDMlyfestyle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMlyfestyle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Driving lights are no big deal around here</TD></TR></TABLE>

Back when I had them on my VW, I had both driving and fog lamps so that I'd always have some sort of auxiliary lighting. It really depends on what type of driving lamps you get though. Some are labled as driving lamps, but are nothing more than a foglamp and about the same output.

I had the Bosch 500W (or something redicuous like that) and you could run people off the road with them if you forgot to switch to low beam; but they brightened up the road like you wouldn't beleive.

Old 05-12-2005, 05:57 AM

these are properly aimed and do not affect on coming drivers.
Old 05-12-2005, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDMlyfestyle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMlyfestyle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">these are properly aimed and do not affect on coming drivers.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh, I wasn't commenting on yours specifically, sorry about that. I meant the rally style and non projector high output 'driving' lamps like he had in his first post; not the OEM or projector type fogs like you're showing.

Nice light output BTW, I would definitely rock those over the crappy OEM refractor housings.

Old 05-12-2005, 10:11 AM
most hood white kid

Default Re: (AutoXer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AutoXer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

But driving lights are illegal to use with the low beams, and the first time you blind a cop with them, you'll find out in a hurry. They come with a relay to shut them off with the low beams, like the OEM fogs turn off with the high beams.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I know lots of people who rock those type of aftermarket foglights down here, and never had a problem with the cops. it just depends on your area, b.c I live in more of a rural area, and there isn't a bunch of traffic
Old 05-12-2005, 10:12 AM

They look fine to me.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I guess I didn't make it clear in my initial posts. There is a difference between 'driving lights' and 'foglamps'. PIAA and Bosch make both.

Foglamps use a refractor (OEM) or projecter style lens (OEM or aftermarket, like JDM's conversion) and are meant for use standalone or with low beams, and have light output rated the same or less than factory headlights to be DOT legal for use while driving.

Driving lamps are to put out as much illumination as possible while driving, and are extremely bright with a large scatter beam pattern that covers a wide sweep angle in front of the vehicle: http://www.piaa.com/Lamps/Lamp-pages/004xt.html For that reason, you will completely blind anyone in front of you, and they are not legal for use while driving. You can get around this by having a relay so that they will only be on with your highbeams.

I used to have both on my car when I did alot of back road driving, and there is a huge difference between the two. You can see that you can order lamps from them for specific purposes: http://www.piaa.com/RacingProd....html

Old 05-12-2005, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (AutoXer)

I would definately get some PIAA driving lights if I did a lot of night time driving...

I just don't have a use for them. Plus, I don't know where I would mount them. I had to cut my grill to fit my intercooler and my piping prevents them from being mounted on either side.

I would have to mount them on the top of my bumper!
Old 05-12-2005, 12:08 PM

i would do a retro fit but im not about to pay 300 for some lights. those hella ff50's only cost 40 bucks.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AutoXer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>
im gonna be aimin them low so it wont have too much glare. i was thinkin about coating the lens with like 20 coats of yellow or something. man there is trucks around here with some brightass lights that blind the **** outa me so i dont think these would be any worse.

hey JDMlyfestyle where could i buy those OEM garnish things instead of hondaautomotiveparts? its like 40 for a pair there, kinda pricey for some covers. what are the dimensions of the holes in the covers? i think im gonna try to find a driving/fog lamp that will fit in that hole.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:20 PM

I had OEM fogs. then i just decided to retrofit them. i have no clue where to get the garnish besides Hondaautomotiveparts or Ebay.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:25 PM

why do you need extra light besides your headlights?

people driving with 16 lights on blinding the **** out of me cause ROAD RAGE
Old 05-12-2005, 12:27 PM

Default Re: Opinion on driving lights. (Supertramp)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Supertramp &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why do you need extra light besides your headlights?

people driving with 16 lights on blinding the **** out of me cause ROAD RAGE</TD></TR></TABLE>

maybe because i live in the country and its dark as **** outside? my headlights suck ask anyone that has a 92-95 civic with stock headlamps. and i will only be having 4 lights on actually. so STFU and suck a fat **** NOOB!
Old 05-12-2005, 12:32 PM

HOLY ****!!!! The Noob has a 6 foot Innercooler... HAHA
Old 05-12-2005, 01:32 PM
most hood white kid

good one JDM...yeah, I live in conutry as well, and have hit deer b/c of low light output. DEER SUCK ***
Old 05-12-2005, 02:19 PM

I'm running a set of Catz SR yellow driving lights. I believe they are 55w. I picked them up for $45 off ebay. The yellow light provides a nice contrast at night.

In addition to driving lights you could run higher wattage bulbs. However anything over 65w will need plug in relay harness w/ higher gauge wire and powered from the battery. I'm using the Painless Wiring H4 model. Expensive but easy to install. I first tested the harness w/ the 65w bulbs that I originally hard in the car. With the harness the lights are actually brighter now. I haven't even bothered installing the 80w bulbs.

Quick Reply: Opinion on driving lights.