Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Oops a boo boo, Wrong ps fluid, drained put in proper, still no ps.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 04:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oops a boo boo, Wrong ps fluid, drained put in proper, still no ps.

Just as it says, I put the effin wrong fluid in. I didnt realize that on the back of the bottle on the instruction in little letters it says "Not for use on Hondas." and only hondas?

Anyways, I tried to flush as much out as possible, I unhooked the hoses and with a few rags and buckets I would turn the steering wheel back and foward which worked well to get the old fluid out.

I put the new fluid in and still no power steering and my pump whistles?

This is the first car ive had power steering in so im a little unfamiliar with it, any input or advice is greatly apperciated.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Oops a boo boo, Wrong ps fluid, drained put in proper, still no ps. (philkehn)

u gotta keep turn the wheel back and forth until u get p/s back and make sure the fluid level is good
Old 11-16-2008, 04:37 AM

Fluid level is good, I added the proper fluid over a month ago and still no p/s so im sure ive moved my wheel enough lol, just havent had time to get around to the problem. From the time I took out the old fluid and put in the new fluid I did not even a slight increase in steering wheel play and still to this day. Is it possible I fried my pump?
Old 11-16-2008, 04:40 AM

btw its a 93 and the second fluid I added was another generic, it said works on all models and had no discrepencies towards hondas. Maybe I should get official honda ps fluid and check back with you?
Old 11-16-2008, 05:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The wrong fluid will eat seals and could potentially destroy the pump or steering gear assembly.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:43 AM

Thats what I was affraid of, any chance it could of just damaged the pump? As in steering gear assembly you mean the rack and pinon and whole tie rod assembly?

My guess is now that the whistling is a blown seal? No leaks however, fluid level never changes?
Old 11-16-2008, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Not really sure what the whistling may be. Is it a whistling sound or more like a moaning sound? Power steering pumps tend to make a moaning sound when they go bad, especially when you turn the wheel left and right.

Yea, as in steering gear I meant the rack and pinion. IIRC Honda specifically says to use their power steering fluid and nothing else. It's kind of the same thing with the auto trannies. Honda auto trannies specifically use Honda ATF. Using the wrong fluids can cause problems and have been known to.

I'd try to isolate the area the noise is coming from first, then go from there. Should be pretty easy to tell if it's coming from the pump.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oops a boo boo, Wrong ps fluid, drained put in proper, still no ps. (philkehn)

You should def try to drain the offbrand stuff out and put OEM honda fluid in. Also when you try to get the fluid back it just turning the wheel back and forth doesn't cut it. You have to go lock to lock and hold it on either side and you should hear the pump try a little harder when you do it right.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oops a boo boo, Wrong ps fluid, drained put in proper, still no ps. (lsvtecturbosol)

Even the new stuff you put in is wrong. If it doesn't specifically say "Honda" on it, it's the wrong stuff! A bottle from the dealership isn't expensive but I know valvoline makes it as well.

If your pump is making a noise it's done. Go to the junkyard and get a pump.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:12 AM

I have a few extra pumps laying around the yard So they do sell a valvoline alternate at Checkers, Autozone etc. etc.? What would be the best method of clearing out all of the old fluid? The way I did before was unhook the return like from the rack and turn the wheel back and fowarth with a bucket under the line. <--- Of course draining the res before hand lol.

I believe the second fluid that I used I bought previous for a teggy and I had no problems with it??