Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Which one's a KNOCKOFF alarm and which one's the REAL DEAL?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which one's a KNOCKOFF alarm and which one's the REAL DEAL?

****First of, I know this is not the right section****
*** But I didn't get any help in the right section ***
** So I was hopping I'll get some hear **
* Because there's more traffic here *

I’m looking for a new alarm for my civic and found these on eBay.
They all look exactly the same, but have different names.
They sell under names such as:
COMMANDO 5005
PRO 5007
INFINITY
DELTA 5005

I’m looking for an alarm with:
-Pager with LCD display
-Remote door locks
-Shock sensor
-Microwave sensor
-Glass sensor

Worst of all, I can’t spend more than $150.

Actually, I don’t even care if it has the microwave-sensor and the glass-sensor, as long as it can be added on later (can be expended).
Old 02-09-2005, 02:33 PM

nice alarm... i might plan on buying that
Old 02-09-2005, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (maxheat)

The price is nice, the alarm is nice and so is its description, but is it reliable?
Has any one tried this?

Also, is this INFINITY the same as the Infinity that makes audio products?
Old 02-09-2005, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Which one's a KNOCKOFF alarm and which one's the REAL DEAL? (d16rice)

I only buy clifford systems.
Old 02-09-2005, 03:26 PM

Default Re: Which one's a KNOCKOFF alarm and which one's the REAL DEAL? (Spade)

Good luck, even though you may pay a cheap price for it, it's going to be a headache. First of all if you are capaple of installing it your self and get it to work right, what happens when something goes wrong, are you going to be able to fix it?

And there's the case that you can't install it and have to have a shop install and they will charge you up the *** to put it in, that's if they are capaple of installing that peticular unit.

From past experience don't be cheap and buy a alarm from ebay, go down to your local shop and have them install their alarms so if you have any problems in the future it would be under warrenty.

And Infinity alarms, I never heard of it...
Old 02-09-2005, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Spade &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I only buy clifford systems.</TD></TR></TABLE>

:werd: (except for the "Matrix" series which are DEI/Vipers rebranded)

keep in mind, the alarm only works as well as the install.
Old 02-09-2005, 03:36 PM

Default Re: Which one's a KNOCKOFF alarm and which one's the REAL DEAL? (Lee_Delso)

90% to all aftermarket alarms are made by DEI industries. Clifford, Viper, Hornet, Rattler, you get my point. The only difference is who is allowed to carry and sell them and the warranty. Local shop, Viper and the Rattler were the same exact alarm except for the warranty and price. The Viper had a lifetime warranty but also a $150 higher price tag. Something to think about.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:16 PM

Default Re: Which one's a KNOCKOFF alarm and which one's the REAL DEAL? (d16rice)

get a Cliffard...they are the BEST
Old 02-09-2005, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Which one's a KNOCKOFF alarm and which one's the REAL DEAL? (toadolson)

How good are the Code Alarms? had one in my old car and the shock sensor was the best I had. I was thinking of putting in a new system in my car and was gonna do Code Alarm, but am wondering if they are any good?
Old 02-09-2005, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Which one's a KNOCKOFF alarm and which one's the REAL DEAL? (saywhat)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Good2b18b1eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">get a Cliffard...they are the BEST
</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dantastic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

:werd: (except for the "Matrix" series which are DEI/Vipers rebranded)

keep in mind, the alarm only works as well as the install.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Spade &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I only buy clifford systems.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why do you say this? How are they the best? just curious, im also looking
Old 02-09-2005, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Which one's a KNOCKOFF alarm and which one's the REAL DEAL? (dohcdelsol)

this alarm looks like my black widow... exactly alike.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Which one's a KNOCKOFF alarm and which one's the REAL DEAL? (egg_baLLa)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by egg_baLLa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this alarm looks like my black widow... exactly alike.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Is it good? Who did the install?

As for Clifford, Viper, etc.... I would gladly go with something brand name and get it installed professionally, but I don't have the money, and won't have it any time soon.
I'm a full time student and work full time. Before any one starts bragging how they're full time students and still manage to spare some money, I say good for you, but I'm not that lucky.
Local shops charge around a hundred for the install alone, and the most basic alarms (AUDIOVOX) start at $150. I dread to think of what the ones you're talking about go for.

Also, my car is in pieces right now. No panels, no wheels, no engine, no nothing, so I wouldn't be able to take it to a shop even if I wanted to, but this makes it perfect for a do-it-yourself install.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Which one's a KNOCKOFF alarm and which one's the REAL DEAL? (egg_baLLa)

can't spend more then $150 on an alarm?? i don't know...
Old 02-09-2005, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Which one's a KNOCKOFF alarm and which one's the REAL DEAL? (itsJDMyo)

two hundred tops
Old 02-09-2005, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im using a Crime Stopper http://www.crimestopper.com/informer.html
and the only complaint i have is that the remote with the screen is thick, love the range i get on it.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Which one's a KNOCKOFF alarm and which one's the REAL DEAL? (sohcSUCKS)

That’s pretty much what I’m looking for,… all except for the price tag.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by toadolson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">90% to all aftermarket alarms are made by DEI industries. Clifford, Viper, Hornet, Rattler, you get my point. The only difference is who is allowed to carry and sell them and the warranty. Local shop, Viper and the Rattler were the same exact alarm except for the warranty and price. The Viper had a lifetime warranty but also a $150 higher price tag. Something to think about.</TD></TR></TABLE>
i agree, my neighbor owns a very large electronics company and says most everything is like that, all tv's come from only 2 makers also, if i were you though i would just say screw the alarm, go get a wiring layout and wire the car so you have to have the cruise control on or somethin to start it, much harder to get around then a system, my friend was bragging bought his and how i couldnt steal it, so i bet him i could, so he left the window down (so i dont have to break it) and i got it the car had it disarmed and started in 44 seconds and im not a pro, all systems have weakness and if someone want your car theyll get it no matter what system you got
Old 02-09-2005, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Which one's a KNOCKOFF alarm and which one's the REAL DEAL? (SOHCD16y8)

I know that, but it's the petty thefts I'm concerned with.
Some jackass stole my muffler a few years back... A MUFFLER… wtf!

Anyway, I know it's hard to prevent the whole car from being stolen, but an alarm is still better than nothing. At least scare off some punk kids or something.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Which one's a KNOCKOFF alarm and which one's the REAL DEAL? (SOHCD16y8)

As for the cruise control button, I though about it too, but decided it’s better to put in an ignition cutoff switch using a relay and one of those PILOT on/off remotes. This way I can hide the relay anywhere I want to and the button will stay on my key-chain.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

compustar
Old 02-09-2005, 07:22 PM

You get what you pay for.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Which one's a KNOCKOFF alarm and which one's the REAL DEAL? (B30M87A)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by d16rice &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Is it good? Who did the install?

As for Clifford, Viper, etc.... I would gladly go with something brand name and get it installed professionally, but I don't have the money, and won't have it any time soon.
I'm a full time student and work full time. Before any one starts bragging how they're full time students and still manage to spare some money, I say good for you, but I'm not that lucky.
Local shops charge around a hundred for the install alone, and the most basic alarms (AUDIOVOX) start at $150. I dread to think of what the ones you're talking about go for.

Also, my car is in pieces right now. No panels, no wheels, no engine, no nothing, so I wouldn't be able to take it to a shop even if I wanted to, but this makes it perfect for a do-it-yourself install.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah its good. im happy with it. i've had it for 2 years and still going strong.
however i paid a lot for it uncluding install.. 4 bills.

one my my friends has a clifford 2-way. he paid 2 bills for it i think including install. im not sure but i think that was a hookup price.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:57 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by d16rice &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">As for the cruise control button, I though about it too, but decided it’s better to put in an ignition cutoff switch using a relay and one of those PILOT on/off remotes. This way I can hide the relay anywhere I want to and the button will stay on my key-chain. </TD></TR></TABLE>

great idea! where'd you get your on/off remote?
Old 02-10-2005, 04:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Which one's a KNOCKOFF alarm and which one's the REAL DEAL? (Aphelion)

I got it at Autozone, $20-30.
I'm sure others sell 'em too.
The only downside is that it comes with only one remote.
If you misplace one set of keys, you're pretty much screwed.

Some alarms have AUX output, though, so If I do end up getting an alarm, I'll just wire the relay into it. This way I'll have at least two remotes and a way to get more if needed.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nice alarm. I might pick one up

Quick Reply: Which one's a KNOCKOFF alarm and which one's the REAL DEAL?