Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Once you go synthetic, you can't go back?? true or false?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Once you go synthetic, you can't go back?? true or false?

I have a civic with 108,000 miles on it and I only have exhaust and intake. I wanted to switch to mobile 1 synthetic clean drive or regular mobile 1. My friend says once I change it over from non-synthetic to synthetic I cannot go back if I want to. Is this true, and what would it hurt if I went back and forth? What will I gain from changing over to synthetic? Right now I get crappy gas milage while driving it granny style. I put in a new k&n drop in filter to see if it helps. Will syn. help the engine produce more power and run smoother?
Old 01-27-2004, 03:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive been told cause the motor gets use to the good ****. then it has to go back to the normal **** and doesnt like it.
Old 01-27-2004, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Re: Once you go synthetic, you can't go back?? true or false? (alias 33)

You shouldn't really switch from syn to non-syn... once synthetic is in there most companies recomend flushing it out via whatever process before going back to conventional oil... the reason for this is most synthetics have additives which bond to the surface of the metal... it does get old and breakdown... but what CAN happen is that the old synthetic additves prevent the regular oil from making sufficiant contact with the metal... that's as far as I know the biggest reason... but if you follow certain engine cleaning procedures you can change back without issue...

As far as "will my car run better with syn"... that depends. If your car is running crappy because of wear and tear... synthetic probobly won't help... something like "engine re-store" probobly would... or moving to a thicker oil may help...

If it's running crappy because of built up crap in there synthetic may help... overall I COMPLETELY prefer synthetic oil... It DOES make the engine run smoother and with less friction... which translates to power/economy...
Old 01-27-2004, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Once you go synthetic, you can't go back?? true or false? (NonovUrbizniz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NonovUrbizniz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You shouldn't really switch from syn to non-syn... once synthetic is in there most companies recomend flushing it out via whatever process before going back to conventional oil... the reason for this is most synthetics have additives which bond to the surface of the metal... it does get old and breakdown... but what CAN happen is that the old synthetic additves prevent the regular oil from making sufficiant contact with the metal... that's as far as I know the biggest reason... but if you follow certain engine cleaning procedures you can change back without issue...

As far as "will my car run better with syn"... that depends. If your car is running crappy because of wear and tear... synthetic probobly won't help... something like "engine re-store" probobly would... or moving to a thicker oil may help...

If it's running crappy because of built up crap in there synthetic may help... overall I COMPLETELY prefer synthetic oil... It DOES make the engine run smoother and with less friction... which translates to power/economy...</TD></TR></TABLE>

well said, there is an article on overboost.com that they did a study on that same question someone posted the same thing and it states that the switching back to non-syn is an urban myth and it really doesnt matter, there are syn blends and you can put in a bottle of syn and non and basically make your own. i prefer syn just because of its molecular structure and how it brakes up evenly instead of how non syn is uneven. but its all said in the article i just dont have the link.
Old 01-27-2004, 04:42 PM

Default Re: Once you go synthetic, you can't go back?? true or false? (alias 33)

[QUOTE=alias 33]I have a civic with 108,000 miles on it and I only have exhaust and intake. I wanted to switch to mobile 1 synthetic clean drive or regular mobile 1.QUOTE]

only problem i see with this is... say your engine has a very very minor/small oil leak and its barly noticable... once you switch to syn its a much thinner lubercant that will find its way into crack and loose seals that the converntional oil went right past... correct me if im wrong
Old 01-27-2004, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Once you go synthetic, you can't go back?? true or false? (chameleon)

I have never read more bull in one area before. You CAN go from synthetic to conventional oil and vise versa. There should be no negative effects from changing back and forth. Go read some more on the Mobile1 website. According to this website there is NO need to "flush" the engine as stated either.
Old 01-27-2004, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i believe mobil 1 makes a synthetic for higher mileage motors......... that should be what you're looking for.
Old 01-27-2004, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Once you go synthetic, you can't go back?? true or false? (bigedx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bigedx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

only problem i see with this is... say your engine has a very very minor/small oil leak and its barly noticable... once you switch to syn its a much thinner lubercant that will find its way into crack and loose seals that the converntional oil went right past... correct me if im wrong</TD></TR></TABLE>

not thinner, but more viscous

And of course their website says you dont need to clean the engine, they just want to sell oil, they don't make engine flushes. Think of all that conventional sludge in the motor, then putting in syn. All that sludge is still there mixing up and breaking down the bonds in syn that make it so great.
Old 01-27-2004, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Once you go synthetic, you can't go back?? true or false? (SOHCwarrior)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHCwarrior &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

not thinner, but more viscous

And of course their website says you dont need to clean the engine, they just want to sell oil, they don't make engine flushes. Think of all that conventional sludge in the motor, then putting in syn. All that sludge is still there mixing up and breaking down the bonds in syn that make it so great.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Shouldn't be any sludge in the engine if you know how to change your oil at the correct intervals.
Old 01-27-2004, 05:49 PM

I change my dinosaur oil every 2000 miles. Can I go longer on syn oil? I saw a quaker state container advertise a 100,000 guarentee on a single oil change. NO way in hell! I don't belive it for a second.
Old 01-27-2004, 05:54 PM

Default Re: Once you go synthetic, you can't go back?? true or false? (Hybrid93Eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have never read more bull in one area before. You CAN go from synthetic to conventional oil and vise versa. There should be no negative effects from changing back and forth. Go read some more on the Mobile1 website. According to this website there is NO need to "flush" the engine as stated either.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I am in total agreement with Hybrid93Eg I did alot of looking at the mobile1 website about two years ago because someone told me you can't switch back and forth. I can tell you I have done this "switch" with synthetic oils many times and as long as you know how to change your oil it will be fine. I don't like using Synthetic oils, but I do decide to use them in the winter time only because of the cold temps outside because my Saturn never gets to be in a garage so I like to use the synthetic oil because it flows so much better in the cold start-ups I do.
Old 01-27-2004, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (alias 33)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by alias 33 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I change my dinosaur oil every 2000 miles. Can I go longer on syn oil? I saw a quaker state container advertise a 100,000 guarentee on a single oil change. NO way in hell! I don't belive it for a second.</TD></TR></TABLE>

wow... thats a lot of oil changes. most honda have a a reccomended oil change interval of 7500miles, 3750miles under "severe" conditions. that's with conventional oil. i change my oil every 7500miles with mobil1. doesnt look any dirtier than conventional after 3000mi. on my parents mercedes goes into service about every 12000mi for an oil change (castrol syntec)
Old 01-27-2004, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Once you go synthetic, you can't go back?? true or false? (Hybrid93Eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Shouldn't be any sludge in the engine if you know how to change your oil at the correct intervals.</TD></TR></TABLE>

and back to reality...... what's a correct intreval? manufaturer's recommend 5,000-10,000 on conventional.
I don't care if it's every 3,000, conventional makes sludge.
This comes from experience of changing the oil on thousands of vehicles

you can switch from syn to conventional and your engine won't blow up, but why?
Old 01-27-2004, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the oil company would probably advise you to continue to buy the $5/quart oil as opposed to the $2/quart oil.... yah think????
Old 01-27-2004, 06:23 PM

Default Re: Once you go synthetic, you can't go back?? true or false? (bigedx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bigedx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">[QUOTE=alias 33] once you switch to syn its a much thinner lubercant that will find its way into crack and loose seals that the converntional oil went right past... correct me if im wrong</TD></TR></TABLE>

Synthetic oils have more detergents in them so all that happens is they 'reveal' leaks that were already there to begin with.
Old 01-27-2004, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Once you go synthetic, you can't go back?? true or false? (SOHCwarrior)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHCwarrior &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

and back to reality...... what's a correct intreval? manufaturer's recommend 5,000-10,000 on conventional.
I don't care if it's every 3,000, conventional makes sludge.
This comes from experience of changing the oil on thousands of vehicles

you can switch from syn to conventional and your engine won't blow up, but why?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

The "whats a correct interval" arguement is gay. Change it every 3,000 miles if you have any questions about it. Most oil today is much better then it was back when they came out with the 3,000 mile rule. There is no reason why conventional oil should make sludge if changed every 3,000 miles. PERIOD. Your "experience" is nice and all, but what industry certifications do you carry with it? Thats what I thought. Study it, go to school, master it. THEN try to teach others.
Old 01-27-2004, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

u can switch between em however many times u want...u can even mix if u want
Old 01-27-2004, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The "whats a correct interval" arguement is gay. Change it every 3,000 miles if you have any questions about it. Most oil today is much better then it was back when they came out with the 3,000 mile rule. There is no reason why conventional oil should make sludge if changed every 3,000 miles. PERIOD. Your "experience" is nice and all, but what industry certifications do you carry with it? Thats what I thought. Study it, go to school, master it. THEN try to teach others.</TD></TR></TABLE>

experience speaks louder than any piece of paper. what paper do you hold that makes you an expert? You are speaking of ideals. Work on cars day in and day out for over two years and then we can talk about what really goes on.
I am certified through my current place of employment, and educate people on a daily basis. But this isn't about me and you.
The fact is synthetic is the best there is. It is the oil of the future and many companys are beginning to require synthetic in some of their vehicles. You can be the hard headed old man who wants to put 30 weight in his new honda, get with the times.
And about the correct interval being gay, how is it? 3000 is what oil companies reccomend. Not the manufacturer's, so how is it correct?
Old 01-27-2004, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

experience speaks louder than any piece of paper. what paper do you hold that makes you an expert? You are speaking of ideals. Work on cars day in and day out for over two years and then we can talk about what really goes on.
I am certified through my current place of employment, and educate people on a daily basis. But this isn't about me and you.
The fact is synthetic is the best there is. It is the oil of the future and many companys are beginning to require synthetic in some of their vehicles. You can be the hard headed old man who wants to put 30 weight in his new honda, get with the times.
And about the correct interval being gay, how is it? 3000 is what oil companies reccomend. Not the manufacturer's, so how is it correct?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

2 years day in an out? Is that all? I had to laugh for a while when I read that. I never told you that Synthetic wasn't superior to conventional oil. I simply told you that if you change your conventional oil at 3,000 miles that you shouldn't have any sludge build up in your engine. And for the record, I don't use 30 weight. While you might like to think I am some "old man" who doesn't know what he is talking about, I actually do have a clue.
Old 01-27-2004, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

****, a battle started.
Old 01-27-2004, 07:29 PM

Default Re: Once you go synthetic, you can't go back?? true or false? (SeaQuake)

Personally I was employed in a shop for over 5 years, then I started buying/selling cars and working on people's vehicles on the side. I have switched to synthetic on vehicles with 175k miles w/no problem. Granted it was a tight motor that had been well maintained. As for my personal vehicles I have also done the same. My wife's car has 188k miles on it. It uses about 1 quart of conventional oil per 2000 miles, as compared to 1 quart per 1500miles of synthetic.

As for sludge build up, conventional oil doesn't seem to do too great over 3000 miles. A lot of this has to do with driving styles and conditions. I believe many manufactures actually classify stop and go traffic or city traffic as severe conditions that would necesitate shorter oil change intervals. So for most people an oil change at 3000 miles is appropriate. If you push intervals you will get a little build up. Yes sometimes synthetics will cause some of this to come loose(usually larger deposits from extended intervals) which may or may not create oil leaks(will depend on the condition of the seals). Some of this may actually be very noticeable on your first synthetic oil change as the oil will blacken very quickly as it washes some of the old oil and contaiminants out. Under these conditions it may be appropriate to change it at a little shorter interval(4-5k miles)

As far as the original poster goes. You probably won't notice any power gains from going synthetic. There will be slight gains, just they aren't really enough to notice. It won't help your engine run any better. You will get a little better gas mileage. Nothing mind blowing though. All in all synthetic is just a better oil. If you search on the subject of syn. vs. conventional you will find a ton of info about the refining process and how they are different. I have also seen dyno charts of a car before and after the synthetic oil changes as well as fuel economy differences.

On one final note, I have read on several boards(iirc they were chemical engineering boards) that they do not recommend using addatives or mixing oils because of adverse reactions with the oils. In particular I remember them adding Lucas oil treatment to some differential oil and it foaming up really bad. Not something you want your oil to do.
Old 01-27-2004, 08:10 PM

Default Re: Once you go synthetic, you can't go back?? true or false? (yellow_jacket)

I can't put this gently....
This thread is freaking full of bullshit.

Read up on this stuff, it's available for all to see.
Let me give you a link to one of the most popular sites in regards to oils and their use.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com

Nowadays, conventional oils can go ~5 to 6 thousand miles without a problem.
Synthetic oils are good for at least ~7000 miles.
If, and when you go to that site, look into the forums, and look under the UOA threads. (Used Oil Analysis)

**** poor maintaince causes a build up of "sludge" (generally speaking) that can easily be removed by some of today's better engine cleaners.

For instance: http://www.auto-rx.com/index.html

Sorry ya'll...
Just read up on this stuff.
You may become addicted to it...
Old 01-27-2004, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Re: Once you go synthetic, you can't go back?? true or false? (NonovUrbizniz)

Originally Posted by NonovUrbizniz
You shouldn't really switch from syn to non-syn...
I officially call B.S. on myself... and I think I've done the exact same thing in another thread on the same topic...

I've been working at gas stations/service stations since I was 16... damn near every mechanic I've every talked to has said that you can't switch back and forth... However at one point I was working as the manager of a Texaco and I asked the Texaco Rep... he said it didn't matter... I ALWAYS forget about this... because it was sooo beat into my head by so many people... and on top of it my most recent batch of interest in synthetic oils was in "amsoil" which suggests using their engine oil treatment before switch to their oil...

Here are some quotes that resulted from a search of "synthetic oil" "switch back"

From the "Car Talk" guys.. (npr show (they're both mechanic/shop owners from cambridge mass. that host a weekly call in show answering car related questions (I've never heard them stumped))

http://cartalk.cars.com/conten....html

Originally Posted by Cartalk
Dear Tom and Ray:
I recently purchased a 1995 Mitsubishi Mirage. The previous owner bragged that he used only "the best" oil in it, and he showed me an empty quart of Mobil 1 synthetic oil to prove it. I bought the car because it was in good shape and had low mileage, and I couldn't have cared less about the high-tech oil ... until now. It's time to change the oil, and I really can't see spending the extra dough on the fancy stuff. However, the guy at the auto-parts store told me that once a motor has synthetic oil in it, I have to keep using it (unless I "flush it"). So I went to the Mobil Web site, and according to it, Mobil 1 is compatible with conventional oil. Can I switch back? -- Bill

Tom: You have the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of any damn motor oil you like, Bill.

Ray: There is no problem we know of with mixing synthetic and conventional motor oils. I think when synthetics first came out 25 years ago, some manufacturers weren't sure how well they'd work, whether they'd eat seals and gaskets, or whether they'd mix with conventional oils and create cement.

Tom: But those concerns were largely dismissed long ago. For some reason -- we don't know why -- there are still a few manufacturers that warn against using synthetic oils and some that warn against mixing other synthetics with THEIR synthetic oil. We've never seen a problem in the shop related to this stuff, but you should check your owner's manual for a prohibition, just to be safe.

Ray: But the vast majority of manufacturers now treat synthetics just like a premium, high-priced motor oil that can be mixed and matched with other oils at the whim of the customer -- that's you, Bill. So as long as your owner's manual doesn't specifically forbid it, do whatever you want.
From Valvoline
http://www.valvoline.com/pages...ct=19

Originally Posted by Valvoline
Is it okay to mix synthetics and conventional oils?
Some of the first synthetics offered were formulated with high levels of ester that were incompatible with conventional oils. Today's modern synthetics are designed to be compatible with these conventional mineral oils. So, if you have synthetic oil in your car and would like to top-off with conventional oil, that's okay. SynPower is fully compatible with all conventional motor oils, as well as other leading synthetic oils.

Yahoo search same text...

Amsoil

Originally Posted by Amsoil
Q. Are AMSOIL Motor Oils compatible with other motor oils?

A. Yes. AMSOIL Motor Oils are compatible with all other synthetic or petroleum motor oils.

Quaker state

http://quakerstate.com/pages/c...w.asp

Originally Posted by QuakerState
Myth #4

You can't switch from synthetic oil to conventional oil or vice versa.
You need to start with a synthetic blend for a few oil changes before moving to full synthetic oil.
Once you start using synthetic motor oil you cannot go back to conventional oil.
Synthetic and conventional engine oils can't be mixed, or else they react and cause engine problems.

Fact
As long as the synthetic motor oil product and conventional motor oil product meet the viscosity and performance requirements outlined in the vehicle’s owner’s manual, you may interchange them with each other.
You get the idea. I was wrong... Sorry for spreading mis-information... (ish)

Old 01-27-2004, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Once you go synthetic, you can't go back?? true or false? (Eee Pee)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eee Pee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I can't put this gently....
This thread is freaking full of bullshit.

Read up on this stuff, it's available for all to see.
Let me give you a link to one of the most popular sites in regards to oils and their use.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com

Nowadays, conventional oils can go ~5 to 6 thousand miles without a problem.
Synthetic oils are good for at least ~7000 miles.
If, and when you go to that site, look into the forums, and look under the UOA threads. (Used Oil Analysis)

**** poor maintaince causes a build up of "sludge" (generally speaking) that can easily be removed by some of today's better engine cleaners.

For instance: http://www.auto-rx.com/index.html

Sorry ya'll...
Just read up on this stuff.
You may become addicted to it...
</TD></TR></TABLE>

consider who both those sites are sponsered by, and no manufacturer reccomends running any type of engine flush or using additives. Companies will not post information that discredit their product. I'd like to see a car go 6,000 miles with convetional, especailly an audi or vw, and not see any evidence of sludge buildup or excessive burning.

Modified by SOHCwarrior at 6:08 AM 1/28/2004
Old 01-28-2004, 07:44 AM

I'd like to see a car go 6,000 miles with convetional, especailly an audi or vw, and not see any evidence of sludge buildup or excessive burning.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Look up some Used Oil Analysisiss on the site, you'll find plenty of instances where a conventional oil has gone 6000 miles.
Some even more, approaching 7000.
Safely.

Quick Reply: Once you go synthetic, you can't go back?? true or false?